iPhone or what?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by WhiteHorse, Feb 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello all,

Contracts up and I need/want a new phone :D

Do I get an iphone or something else, also whos got the best deal/network. Orange are S**te right now.

I'm looking to spend around £35-40 a month.

Cheers

WH

2. What about HTC HD2 - Virgin are doing them for £30, with unlimited internet and calls and texts (I think...).

Course, if you want all the Iphone apps then get an iphone but I dont do mac and do windowz so a windows phone is better right????? (Someone educate me here please)

3. How about £30 pm, Tesco Mobile month 2 month contract, unlimited calls*, unlimited texts* (subject to fair usage upto £500)

Im with Vodafone, been there 2.5 years now and im due for an upgrade. Currently on 750 mins, Unlimited text £30, but it never comes in at £30 as you know.

Im thinking either go the Tesco route (O2 network), and just buy my own phone off ebay when I want a new one as they are normally only around £200 anyway for the latest bling. Or try and get Voda to make me an offer I cannot refuse.

Currently, you have to have a stupid priced contract to get an iphone, or part pay for the phone. The options I have on Voda online upgrades are crap, but as the contract nears the end, I know they can "break the bank" so to speak.

Customer retention is number one priority for mobile operators im told.

4. Orange at the moment have iPhones and have a good deal on the price plan:
    £35 18 month contract with 600 minutes 500 texts and unlimited internet. I switched to orange from T-mobile yesterday when i got my iPhone. Tmobile are shi-ite when it come to well everything

5. If it's an iPhone you have your heart set on then a major consideration is the accessibility to the best bandwith/data coverage: that is Vodafone.

6. I have an HTC Hero from Orange. It has the android OS which is streets ahead of the Iphone and it is being updated to the latest 2.1 version next month (via download). The majority of apps are free and the deals are there to be had.
    I got mine on a £20pm contract with 600 minutes talk time and unlimited texts. There is also a 500mb pm data allowance which is more than enough as I just piggyback off available wifi networks.
    I have had this since October and it really is a remarkable bit of kit.

There is a new handset coming out very soon called the Desire which also includes a new 1ghz processor.

Have a look at android forums for more info.

Don't buy online. Always ring up and haggle.

7. Agreed. HTC are making the best smartphones around just now - just don't touch the Nexus 1 until the next software update as the US release version was apparently a bit buggy to begin with.

There's very little you can get for the iPhone that you can't get for an Android phone, and a lot more besides.

I wound up going with T-Mobile and got 1000 free minute, 1000 free texts and unlimited internet for £30 per month. They even chucked in a free 8Gb micro SD card when I asked at the shop.

8. Thanks for the advice so far, any more info on iphone use or which network. Thinking of going to Vodaphone.

Cheers

9. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

I recently moved to a Blackberry on O2 - £30 a month got me the handset, 10 hours anytime/any network minutes, a thousand texts and unlimited data. the email/web is the easiest and best implemented I've ever used, and the handset is superb. and the mp3 player doesnt force you to use that abortion of an application that is Itunes.

10. Get the iPhone on Vodafone, £35 gets you 600 mins unlimited texts and internet. I have the iPhone, have had a blackberry and an android phone, and can definitely say the iPhone is the way to go, blows all others out of the water. Im on o2 and wish I had went with vodafone as they are by far the best for the iPhone. Here's the link.

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/catalog/extrasList.jsp?dependantSkuIds=sku2200036,sku2230023&phoneType=null&skuType=consumerPostpayVoicePlanBundleSku&selection=phoneSku&initialFilters=flt_paymonthly&_requestid=397317

11. Aye, iPhone on vodaphone. You'll love it.
    To put it simply, any bastard who says otherwise hasn't got a clue.

12. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

So,

If you must have an iPhone - go with vodafone.

If your requirements are not to have a single device that does voice, text, email, internet, music, GPS, et al - then we start looking at the right thing for you.

If you want Voice, text, Mail - then get a Blackberry on Vodafone.

If you want the above but with the Windows Mobile suite of apps and capability (why?) - then look at a decent PDA or just bite the bullet and go the whole hog on iPhone.

If you want all the media but also use for work - get an iPhone.

I guess it boils down to this. If you simply must look achingly cool to your mates and work colleagues - spend a tonne of cash and get the the 32Gb iPhone 3GS - if not, get lower spec.

You will get better deals with the more upfront hardware you buy - but will be fixed for longer contracts. My recommendation is that you go for a 16Gb iPhone 3GS on Vodafone on a 24 month Contract and get the phone for £89 paying £35 monthly for free and pay £40 (do the maths £5 x 24 months = £120 but you get more minutes and texts - are you going to use that much honestly? - where is the cost saving?), you can get it here:

Click the link if you are to idle to use google for 30 seconds

13. Hehe,
    Mysteron, thanks, looking cool is not a requirement. I was able to use google too! I was kind of hoping for things to avoid and any horror stories like battery goes flat after 3 hours etc.

Looks like it might be vodaphone and iphone.

Cheers

14. I got a Motorola Milestone this morning - MUCH better than an iphone, and I think better than the HTC Hero too. Still an android phone like the Hero.
    Don't know about UK suppliers or costs, but if it's available i recommend it.

15. msr

msr LE

Or go to Carphone Warehouse and get:

Blackberry 8520
    400 mins
    3000 txt
    500Mb data
    Blackberry services
    24 month contract
    £20 per month (with Orange)

msr