iPhone battery change?

A DIY job or Achmed in the shopping centre?
Depends on the model of iPhone. iFixit have some excellent guides.

Alternatively, buy a proper phone instead.

Endoscope

Old-Salt
I managed a 6 and the kit (ebay) contained everything you needed, actually quite pleased with myself ... it was simple

The wee kits are great: spudgers, which are kinda like small plastic crowbars, a Pentalobe screwdriver, which is like a tiny Torx screwdriver but with 5 points, a rubber sucker and a thing that looks like a thick guitar plectrum. One of the kits I received had an actual Fender-branded pick in it.

A DIY job or Achmed in the shopping centre?
Either option is better than Apple ( did a battery change for herself and shagged the phone).. some batteries are glued in, but a heat gun will sort this. YouTube is your friend.
Edit: had my current phone 6 or so years with no problems, then broke the screen twice in a week. £9 a time for parts..

£9 is a great price for a screen. Last one of those I fixed the screen was about 30 clams.

Pay Achmed his £20 mate, I did a screen change and still have lots of little screws and bits left over. It will drive you mad, even if it is on YouTube and they make it look so simple.
Just pay Achmed (but save all your photos of dusty and windswept travels elsewhere and delete them off the phone first)
It will save your sanity and your missus from inwardly saying "I told you so."

anglo

LE
Pay Achmed his £20 mate, I did a screen change and still have lots of little screws and bits left over. It will drive you mad, even if it is on YouTube and they make it look so simple.
Just pay Achmed (but save all your photos of dusty and windswept travels elsewhere and delete them off the phone first)
It will save your sanity and your missus from inwardly saying "I told you so."
Correction, humiliation by other halves is not done inwardly :)

iPhone battery change is very easy and may as well do it yourself. Achmed usually useless and will give your phone LSD or other issues due to poor workmanship. Make sure to take note of which screws came out of where to avoid destroying your prized possession and remember that there will be battery tabs underneath the battery to remove it, providing it is a first time replacement. iFixit/YT have good guides and you usually can also get tools free with the battery when ordering online (Albiet they are a Chinese special)

If you're half way competent, there's no need to pay Achmed - any halfwit should be able to do it in about twenty minutes (and keep track of their screws).

I got a wireless powerbank for Xmas. Couldn't you just strap one onto the phone?

If you're half way competent, there's no need to pay Achmed - any halfwit should be able to do it in about twenty minutes (and keep track of their screws).
Have you seen the quality of the average arrse poster?
Any halfwit may also screw it up, rip a connection etc
I’ve done a couple of iPhone screens in the past, there’s the matter of self confidence in not making a stupid mistake or the balance between fiddling about inside the phone and ease of paying the local cheap phone shop.

I got a wireless powerbank for Xmas. Couldn't you just strap one onto the phone?
Wireless is supported from the iPhone 8 onwards, so it’s dependant on if the model will take it.
Failing that if the existing battery is reasonably functional but isn’t lasting as long as when it was new then a standard powerbank and cable could be carried to top up, or a ‘powerbank phone case’ etc
Until I bought my latest phone I would always have powerbanks handy as any iPhone battery improvements would still not last a full day if making regular use with calls, browsing etc. It was only recently that I took one out again as I was away for the weekend and unsure of what access to power is have.

If confident in your competence, or it’s acceptable to risk cocking up the replacement to gain practice then it’s worth getting a battery replacement kit and checking out YouTube.
If not then it’s worthwhile going to Ahmed

I ran my own repair shop and have done countless screen replacements, battery replacements, board level micro soldering repairs and more. Achmed fucks it up just as much as the end user half the time.... that's why we ended up fixing the result of his so called handy work which the customer had the privilege of being charged for!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Mobile Phones 13
vvaannmmaann Mobile Phones 8
Blogg Gaming and Software 12

Latest Threads