iPhone 7 -- WTF is the fuss?

Bought a paper today [Daily Telegraph] - eight full page adverts for the new iPhone, WTF!!!!

But the hullabaloo about the iphone 7, I mean, it's a PHONE FFS. It won't make your penis [or boobs] bigger, it won't endow you with superhuman strength, and the opposite sex won't fawn over you because you got a new phone [except for geeks].

Ok, I quite like my iPhone. I had a 4s for ages, which was perfectly adequate for my needs (making phone calls, sending texts, light internet surfing, the odd mapping app, listening to some music & as a hot spot for my PC when there's no wifi). A few months ago I got a 6, but only after my 4 broke. Now the 6 is fine, better in some ways (more memory, better battery life) but worse in others (more fragile, a bit too big for my shirt pocket).

Even more annoying the "super new 7" hasn't got a headphone jack, so having spent £50 on a really good set of in-ear phones at Christmas, they will be as much use as a bike is to a kipper if I decide to upgrade.

Apple -- plot -- lost

Sounds like they need to watch this add and take some lessons from it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even more annoying the "super new 7" hasn't got a headphone jack, so having spent £50 on a really good set of in-ear phones at Christmas, they will be as much use as a bike is to a kipper if I decide to upgrade.

Apple -- plot -- lost
I'm still using an iPhone 5 & will until it karks it purely because it syncs with the other Apple stuff that I have.

Note though that the 7 does come with a Lightning to headphone jack adaptor, the crap bit is that you can't charge the phone whilst listening to the Wurzels.

(Other crap music is available for download from the App Store).

@Dark_Nit I hear you. Any mobile smartphone from 2/3 years ago will do most, if not everything, of what the average Arrser wants regardless of whether you are Samsung, Apple, Motorola or Huawei aficionado.
Send texts, do phone calls, take/send piccies, browse the internet, pick up the odd personal email ( you're doomed if its plugged into your work email ), write witticisms on Arrse, play mp3's so you can drown out the tw@ts having a conversation in loud voices on the bus/train. A decent coffee and a good book or proper newspaper provides most other information if you are commuting. As an alternative to upgrading, keep the 6 and splash out on a quality leather case for it.

In Milton Keynes today at 07 early hours, a Que of a few people outside the Apple Store out numbered two to one by the Security Staff.

But the Customers queuing did receive a free Starbucks coffee and biccy. I didn't as I was not queuing and you don't get free drinks by walking past and taking the mickey!!!

Get a life it's only a phone.

Actually I was p!ssed off by the paper, as every time I turned the page there was another full page, full colour iphone advert. Every bl**dy phone provider in creation with a huge picture of ......... a phone.

Really! I need this in my NEWSpaper (not.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
For all the fanbois!
apple.jpg

I've ordered the 7 Plus 256gb, I'll be waiting till the end of the month till mine gets delivered though.

Why am I getting one? Because I currently have a windows phone and it is utter dogshit. Good hardware, and the OS is ok but the app support is dire so as a smartphone it is very poor.

I like that the new phone will be waterproof as will the watch that I'll get for running etc. But the headphone thing isn't an issue as you get an adaptor for your 3.5 jack phones so the hysterical whining from some people is just ignorance. Also I don't think that I have ever charged a phone at the same time as listening except for when it is blue-toothing to my speakers.

Bris

LE
You likely have interests/pursuits that many others would consider pointless, irrelevant or juvenile. Why does it matter?

As long as they're happy, and not hurting anyone they should be able to spend their cash on whatever they like without judgement.

I'm still using an iPhone 5 & will until it karks it purely because it syncs with the other Apple stuff that I have.

Note though that the 7 does come with a Lightning to headphone jack adaptor, the crap bit is that you can't charge the phone whilst listening to the Wurzels.

(Other crap music is available for download from the App Store).
*my bold*

Yup, me too. As stated in the thread re: iPhone 6 cracked screen

Still does everything I need: phone, message, & music

I am a sad Cnut with the iPhone. I've upgraded every time the new version came out (contract usually ends in Dec). I've tried Android (Samsung phones are good) but I personally prefer the Apple OS ( although I do prefer moving screen wallpapers that Android will let you have).
I've got the iPhone 6+ at the moment. Now almost two years. Only upgraded as the screen size is nice and big.

But this is the first time I'm not upgrading. And it is due to two things:

1) There's nothing new or better in iPhone 7 that I want. My 6+ is quick, good battery, big screen and does everything I want.
2) The fact they have removed the headphone jack. I do charge the phone at work and listen to music on phone. I don't want to buy the headphone optional extra. Or use the ear pod things. I like my Samsung full ear coverage headphones.

Frankly, Apple can fcuk off this time. I'll keep the 6 until it dies, then I'll get something different that I can use my headphones with! Fcuking dinlows!

Personally I prefer the Bakelite Analogue Copperwire+. It's great for making calls as the Siri type system is boss. Just pick it up and say "Operator? Get me Bank 3518".

Get through first time every time although it doesn't work more than 2' away from my chaise longue.

It's subjective, tried Apple but, I think the IOS is an absolute abortion. have used Android ever since, currently running a MOTO G4, it does exactly what other mobiles do but, at a much lower price, job jobbed.

Don't need fancy ear plugs, I have a set of Bluetooth cans, that have worked perfectly for the last couple of years, £15 in Lidl.

At the end of the day, all anybody requires is, a strong signal.:D

In Milton Keynes today at 07 early hours, a Que of a few people outside the Apple Store out numbered two to one by the Security Staff.
As few years ago I ran security for an iPhone launch. That was one of the scariest, and cringe worthy experiences I've ever had.
This particular branch of Turttlenecks'r'us was in a shopping centre that didn't open until a set time, there was a queue outside the front door when I arrived. We got set up and then the main doors to the shopping centre opened, what followed was literately a screaming horde, of some very peculiar and odd looking types, running towards the store waving bags and even deckchairs around. Just to be first in-line. How no one got brained by a flailing chair, I shall never know.
The first person to walk though the door was applauded by lines of Apple staff. They also took four hours to exit.

Every 30 minutes my company wanted a head count of the queue outside the store. It was about 150 strong all morning, from about midday it was down to about 100, then tailed off.

Listening to some of the staff as far as I could tell this super new model was exactly the same as the last model, only they'd added an "S" to the end of it. As I used to work for Games Workshop I know about selling overpriced crap to mugs, and this seemed more of the same, I swear some of the lines I used were exactly the same.

Last edited:

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's subjective, tried Apple but, I think the IOS is an absolute abortion.
I also had iPhones for a while - iPhone 3 and 4. I don't think that IOS was the problem for me, more the total abortion called... iTunes. What a crappy interface that is/was (I don't know, it might have improved since). Or how, if you bought an album on iTunes, you couldn't export it to a CD or USB device to use in a non-Apple device.

I'm using a 6S and going to stick with it for at least another two years, probably longer.

And yes, Legs, iTunes is still in the same crap state it's been in for around 8 years.

But the Customers queuing did receive a free Starbucks coffee and biccy. I didn't as I was not queuing and you don't get free drinks by walking past and taking the mickey!!!

Que - Spanish for 'what'
Cue - a prompt or a bat for snooker balls
Queue - British tradition of standing in line

I've just ordered one. Why?

Well my current phone (a 6+) is two years old and now out of contract. If I chop that in to T-Mobile, they will give me an iPhone 7 for "free". The way that works is as follows. Price of new phone is $649. Let's say the trade is worth $169. Balance due is $480. They charge me $20 per month for 24 months, and give me a $20 bill credit for 24 months. Net monthly cost is only the service plan. No upfront costs, just turn in the old one. At the end of the deal, the phone is mine, and no doubt I'll get an iPhone 8 on a similar deal. I suppose they have to do the $20/month and refund it to prevent people from pitching up, take the free phone and then fark orf to a different carrier.

So, the latest iPhone for free. Why would I not do that?

Actually I was p!ssed off by the paper, as every time I turned the page there was another full page, full colour iphone advert. Every bl**dy phone provider in creation with a huge picture of ......... a phone.

Really! I need this in my NEWSpaper (not.
Yup, it's the phone providers fault trying to ramp up business...

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Mobile Phones 13
dave8307 Mobile Phones 27
Tappet Mobile Phones 181

Latest Threads