iPhone 6 guru required

Help!!!!!

Last week I bought a second-hand iPhone 6 and all was well until this morning, when I found I couldn't hear anyone speaking unless the speaker was on. The phone rings but when I go to answer nothing is heard. Obviously, its a slight concern if only for the privacy aspect but it would be nice to know if there's a fix for it.

It may have happened when I used the headphones this morning, but really I'm clutching at straws for solutions. I've searched t'interweb thingy and I can't find any suggestions there except for 1) do a factory reset, 2) check Bluetooth is off, 3) check the setup 4) fluff in the headphone socket.

One clue (maybe) is that when music is played and I go to the Control Centre (sweep up from the bottom) there is no Airplay icon, only a window showing the track name and the icons for previous, pause and next track.

Any ideas, chaps and chapesses??

MrMemory

War Hero
1) Try a hard re-start; Hold down the circular button on the front, and the on/off button on the upper right hand side at the same time. It should restart automatically, but if not start up by pressing the on/off button.

2) Do a factory reset: Go into Settings, then General, then scroll down to Reset, then Reset All Settings. That will restore all options back to when the phone left the factory. This will NOT erase your data.

3)If neither of those work follow option 2 again, but instead of Reset All Settings, select Erase All Content & Settings. This will delete ALL your data and restore the factory settings.

4) The are various hardware tests you can run on your phone. See here -

How to Run Diagnostics on Your iPhone or Android Phone

Slime

LE
Can you still hear music/conversations through headphones

Aurignylad

Old-Salt
i have had 3 i phone 6s and i was a bit of an Apple fan, however not any more.
Iphone 6 is an incredibly delicate piece of kit as i found out!
also the service from Apple, both official and through a agent, was appalling, official Apple, i had some rain get onto 1, really! just damp, didnt even take the phone to check if it was any good, just said thats it its ruined and not covered under warranty. The saga went on with other iphones.
now have a SAMSUNG S10 water proof, dust proof and blinkin brilliant, if you want a cheap but amazing phone try a Samsung J40, mrs Aurignylad got one brand new with PAYG for £140, 12 months warranty...

I tried to replace the battery on my daughters 6s yesterday, all was going great until the aftermarket battery connector was found to be oversize and whilst trying to force it to fit, I managed to damage the damn phone.

So off to the shops and she now has a nice, shiny iphone 8 plus.......expensive battery change. :(

What is even more expensive is that whilst waiting in Carphone Warehouse, I was playing with a Huawei P30 Pro. Bloody hell the camera is fricken amazing, out of this world.
So I’m heading in to town to buy one to replace my current Iphone 7 plus.

Have you done 1-4?
Yes

That is why it is second hand,
Refurbished from Amazon

Can you still hear music/conversations through headphones
Yes

iPhone? Are you gay?
Well I wasn't last time my dangly bits were used in pleasuring a lady :)

The reason for the purchase of an iPhone is that they are a better and more stable phone signal strength-wise where I live. I installed a Ring doorbell and on my Android phone the signal between the phone and doorbell was terrible - tried out a friends iPhone and there was an enormous difference in signal strength. Tried out another iPhone and the same result, so bought one. (why am I having to explain the reason for buying a bloody iPhone?)

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks - funny or serious.........I'll try out those that I haven't tried so far.

Slime

LE
Yes

Refurbished from Amazon

Yes

Well I wasn't last time my dangly bits were used in pleasuring a lady :)

The reason for the purchase of an iPhone is that they are a better and more stable phone signal strength-wise where I live. I installed a Ring doorbell and on my Android phone the signal between the phone and doorbell was terrible - tried out a friends iPhone and there was an enormous difference in signal strength. Tried out another iPhone and the same result, so bought one. (why am I having to explain the reason for buying a bloody iPhone?)

Thanks for all the suggestions, folks - funny or serious.........I'll try out those that I haven't tried so far.
I had something similar on an old iPhone.
The tiny speaker for listening to callers had failed. I could listen to music or calls via headphones and could listen to calls or music via the speakers at the base.

The small speakers are available on eBay etc, or you could simply take the phone to a phone repair shop if it’s out of warranty.

Mine failed after being dropped too many times.

Help!!!!!

Last week I bought a second-hand iPhone 6 and all was well until this morning, when I found I couldn't hear anyone speaking unless the speaker was on. The phone rings but when I go to answer nothing is heard. Obviously, its a slight concern if only for the privacy aspect but it would be nice to know if there's a fix for it.

It may have happened when I used the headphones this morning, but really I'm clutching at straws for solutions. I've searched t'interweb thingy and I can't find any suggestions there except for 1) do a factory reset, 2) check Bluetooth is off, 3) check the setup 4) fluff in the headphone socket.

One clue (maybe) is that when music is played and I go to the Control Centre (sweep up from the bottom) there is no Airplay icon, only a window showing the track name and the icons for previous, pause and next track.

Any ideas, chaps and chapesses??
I’ve had this happen a few times when I’ve used a Bluetooth speaker. The little headphone icon appears in the top right. It does things like mean that the ‘speaker’ option doesn’t work on Skype.

I find that toggling the ‘Bluetooth’ on and off a few times works.

Imago

Old-Salt
Iphone 6 is an incredibly delicate piece of kit as i found out!
Really? My two previous phones were a 4 and a 5, both hand-me-downs (ups?) from senior son and both very well used before they reached me. Christmas 2016, as the 5 was getting slower and slower, said offspring informed me it was time I coughed up for a new handset of my own. iPhone 6s - £600. June 2017 it jumped out of my pocket all by itself and headed down the pan. That night in a bowl of rice and the next 5 days in posh silica cat litter enabled it to keep all its functions intact till Dec 2018 when a whole lot of bits started to fail at the same time. I reckoned that 18 months after visiting the toilet wasn’t too bad going. That’s when I discovered the price of a replacement in Argos; a couple of hours of them side by side doing their thing and I was all sorted. Does everything I need a phone to do and I have a dead cheap SIM-free contract with Three.

Really? My two previous phones were a 4 and a 5, both hand-me-downs (ups?) from senior son and both very well used before they reached me. Christmas 2016, as the 5 was getting slower and slower, said offspring informed me it was time I coughed up for a new handset of my own. iPhone 6s - £600. June 2017 it jumped out of my pocket all by itself and headed down the pan. That night in a bowl of rice and the next 5 days in posh silica cat litter enabled it to keep all its functions intact till Dec 2018 when a whole lot of bits started to fail at the same time. I reckoned that 18 months after visiting the toilet wasn’t too bad going. That’s when I discovered the price of a replacement in Argos; a couple of hours of them side by side doing their thing and I was all sorted. Does everything I need a phone to do and I have a dead cheap SIM-free contract with Three.
If you use easyJet this might be of interest
https://www.easyjet.com/en/hands-free-upgrade

Aurignylad

Old-Salt
well a different experiance from me. Glad to hear youve been happy with it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Mobile Phones 8
Tappet Mobile Phones 181
Taff49 Mobile Phones 10

Latest Threads