Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by the_guru, Aug 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't like the Tapatalk thing, it doesn't lay out the site as I'd like but f*ck me sideways this site is a pain in Safari on the iPad.

Getting right on my tits.

That is all.
  2. Not much of a guru on the iPad then.... What do you mean tapatalk??
  3. The App is fine
  4. Try downloading the Google Chrome App. It's far better than Safari.
  5. FrosteeMARIA

FrosteeMARIA LE Gallery Guru

Works for me. Make sure it's up to date......
  6. Cheers Legs, me old.

As for the Yank ( or wannabe Yank), jog on.
  7. I've noticed the tapatalk app has problems displaying html, I can see the tags around the words etc but not the required formatting itself. This makes some posts difficult to read when users have used colour or bold etc.

However since no one else has noticed it then it could just be me, is there a setting I need to tweak perhaps ?

Posted from the limits of sight and sound (iOS or Android)
  8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

In hand but it's slow progress. We are working on a responsive version of the site. This will remove page elements as the screen size decreases, as well as doing things like switching to a mobile friendly menu at the same time. I'm aware that many of us use mobile devices and that we are well behind the times in coping with that.

The first thing to go live will be a replacement CMS, ie. front page and reviews. A responsive forum will follow (it exists and is about 80% there), but that is a little more tricky as we have so many mods to the forums.
  9. Are you doing this work yourself?
    I'm having a responsive site built at the moment. I think it's definitely the way to go

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  10. Likewise, so I'm interested in the mechanics.
  11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Yes and no. We're moving the CMS part of the site to Wordpress and are using a purchased responsive theme as the base. It's pretty minimalist but gives the basic mechanics without lots of pain.

For the forum we have done likewise, but that's a much more complex issue and needs slow time work.

The mechanics is the CMS annotation @media. So using that and display: none; it's fairly simple to chop stuff as the screen size decreases. I'm trying hard to avoid getting bogged down in more complex modifications to the responsive functionality of the base themes than that!
  12. On reflection, given the massive outage that may have been connected to this issue, I might go elsewhere. Thanks anyway. :)

Wordpress is good, and that's where we're going too.
  13. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Not related which is a shame as it would be much easier to deal with if I could pin it on Wordpress!
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Can you add a responsible theme too while you're at it? One that cuts out the site throbbers and sock puppets.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using ARRSE mobile app
    • Like Like x 1