iPad or Samsung tablet?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Bravo_Bravo, Oct 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Would appreciate pointers - looking for a tablet for business use; email, word processing functions, presentation and all of that kinda stuff.

Not massively hung up on the need for flicks or music; any suggestions gratefully received.

BB

2. iPad is great for left handed surfing

• Like Like x 2
  3. I've had a Galaxy Tab 10.1 and an iPad. I prefer the iPad however the Galaxy (or another Android Tab) might be better suited to work use as it is less locked down than the iPad and it also comes with Libre Office (I think).

A tablet isn't much cop for word procesing in my opinion, unless you're will to fork out for an external keyboard. This can be a problem as both the Galaxy and iPad come without USB ports. You can buy an add-on for the Galaxy which gives you a USB port but you loose your charging/data port and many external items such as HDDs drain too much power so you can't use them with your tablet.

4. iPad is the superior of the two, if used in a stand alone basis.

I am not sure iPad is exactly compatible with Microsoft programmes, so if you have PowerPoint or word docs on a PC you could have some problems transferring data to iPad.

Bobj

5. Had both. I much prefer the Galaxy. However, I currently use the Ipad because I have to do a lot of presentations, and Keynote is really easy to use, plus there is simple hardware (a cable) to take the VGA or HDMI straight from the tablet to the projector. I haven't found an Android presentation set up that compares. But If I do, it'll be back to Galaxy. That said, the Ipad is fine on almost every front apart ffrom its relience in Itunes.

6. Ipad is compatible with Microsoft products fairly flawlessly, but I actually find it easier to prepare a presentation on the Ipad than on a desktop PC.

7. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Itunes is a massive pain in the arse but once you havme thevright apps the whole thing works well for movies an tv shows from other sources - build quality on the ipad is streets ahead but ease of use goes to the samsung.

Once you get used to using it you use it evry day - superb for commuting/travelling - don't bother with the 3g version - wifi is fine and use your phone as a mobile hotspot if no wifi.

8. Thanks for the comments so far.

9. A mate bought an iPad for work, for sending reports back to the office. He had some issues with comparability with the company web based database thingy. Can you be a bit more specific about what you are going to do with it?

10. I use a Samsung 7.7; excellent bit of kit. If I were to replace it, I would go for the new Tab2 10.1 with the stylus - because for me the stylus makes a heck of a difference for a lot of practical applications, such as using a spreadsheet.

However, I also agree with the comments above: I reckon Windows 8 tablets will soon wipe the floor with both Apple and Android. Most adults probably need a tablet that does productive work and has entertainment as a bonus; having MS office work seamlessly across laptop-tablet-mobile is going to be a bit of a game changer.

My next device is probably going to be a Win8 ultrabook, where the screen detaches as a Win8 tablet. There are several of these coming very soon.

11. Ipad mini being launched next few weeks, just in time for christmas. A sensible sized tablet at last from apple.

12. Kindle Fire is a cheaper option and achieves the same aim

13. A2_Matelot

A2_Matelot LE Book Reviewer

I've both the Google Nexus7 and a Motorola Xoom - would recommend either, lots of free apps that work well, the XOOM can accept MicroSD cards, neither need tethering to iTunes. The Nexus has incredible battery life and I believe a 32Gb version is out soon.

14. I've used most tablets and in my opinion the iPad is the best on build quality and ease of use; everything just works straight away.

Samsung make great quality products but are similar price to the iPad so you may as well buy the iPad. You'll get more updates to iOS from apple than you will to Android from Samsung.

Have you considered the Google Nexus 7 tablet? It's a 7" tablet that does pretty much everything the iPad does. It's made by Asus so the build quality is excellent and the basic 8gb model costs £159. They are releasing a 32gb model in the run up to Xmas for £199 to compete with the iPad mini which is excellent value. Also, as its a Google Nexus product you'll get Android updates straight away from Google without having to wait.