iPad / iPod Touch in Theatre

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by magatron, Apr 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all.

Sorry for what must be a repetative and boring post but I've tried to research this on the forum but seem to only stumble across (admittedly very amusing) abuse directed towards people intent on ignoring basic rules / OPSEC. I want to be able to browse the internet on WiFi and play music in theatre but can't use my iPhone 4. What should I use instead?

A few quite questions:
    - Can I carry my iPhone to theatre so I have it when I return?
    - Can I use a 3G-capable but 3G-switched-off iPad?
    - Would you recommend an older iPad or iPod touch?

Thanks in advance!

Magatron

2. Last I heard on the BritFor SOI (and on the EFI radio show by RMP), was no 3G compatible item is to be taken and used. That was Jan this year, so there may have been changes since.

No phone, full stop.

3. No phone
    No 3G capable device (except, I believe, Amazon Kindle)
    No change

4. Thanks guys - that's pretty clear! Should make my trip to the apple store interesting - "Hi. I'd like to buy a crap iPad please!"

Many thanks,

Magatron

5. You'd pay 100 quid more for the 3G iPad? 95% of the time I'm in a wifi location so couldn't see the point.

Legs is absolutely right though, if you are caught with any 3G/GSM device switched on, you will be bounced. You wouldn't want to be in the shit and have your things confiscated now, would you?

6. you can only use non 3g. You can take phones but held by your clerks till r and r etc