Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad Air camera broke. Why is google not helping me?

Hi all. I know one of you geeks are gonna help me out here.

I have a 1st Gen iPad Air that neither camera works on. It’s been like that for a few years but not an issue for me so never bothered to fix it. I have now treated myself to the latest model and am looking at passing it on, so have had a wee shufti.
I am not an expert on either apple hardware or software but have changed a few batteries/screens so confident in taking them apart. Everything seems intact/connected so I don’t know what’s gone wrong. Google doesn’t say anymore than the IT IA drill. So I’m a little frustrated. Obvs I am a tight Arrse and don’t want to pay for any advice, take it to a shop etc, but am prepared to replace the camera hardware if that is the issue.

Thanks for looking. Any ideas?

Factory Reset? (or whatever crApple call it). If the hardware is intact, maybe the kexts* aren't loading.

*what crApple calls drivers, IIRC. It's been a while, I no longer touch anything with a half-eaten piece of fruit on it.

TamH70

MIA
Hi all. I know one of you geeks are gonna help me out here.

I have a 1st Gen iPad Air that neither camera works on. It’s been like that for a few years but not an issue for me so never bothered to fix it. I have now treated myself to the latest model and am looking at passing it on, so have had a wee shufti.
I am not an expert on either apple hardware or software but have changed a few batteries/screens so confident in taking them apart. Everything seems intact/connected so I don’t know what’s gone wrong. Google doesn’t say anymore than the IT IA drill. So I’m a little frustrated. Obvs I am a tight Arrse and don’t want to pay for any advice, take it to a shop etc, but am prepared to replace the camera hardware if that is the issue.

Thanks for looking. Any ideas?

Have a swatch at this.

iPad Air, iPad mini, mini 2, & mini 3 Rear Camera - iFixit

They also do a guide and ting for the front camera too.

It looks like a bit of a mare, to be honest.

If you want to do a belt and braces thingy, replace both cameras and then factory reset. Make sure that the replacement cameras you buy come from a reputable source and are known to work.

Cheers guys.
Happy with all those guides. They are good, but I just wanted to confirm it’s the hardware before I shell out. Seems a bit strange that both cameras failed together.

I'm going to have a crack at investigating Kexts, whatever they are.

Latest Threads