• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

IP tracing

#1
Hyporthetically speaking, If someone had sent an anonomous email that was supposedly defamatory could they obtain a court order to locate the sender through their IP address?

And if the statements made within the said email were ones that were true, and the ones that were not were stated as "I believe" "my feelings are" then surely that does not amount to a statement of supposed fact? Therefore such a sender could not be liable...

I believe the cost of such proceedings would be extreme in any case, and certainly not one in which the person involved could afford, i believe it to be an idle threat.

I have Issued a retraction and apology anyway so....
 
G

Goku

Guest
#3
Yes you can be traced through your IP address.

Have you been sending "Dear c0ck-face" emails?
 
#4
No email is anonymous. In the header various pieces of information exist, including the IP address of the mail server that the email originated from.

If you're describing anonymous as a hotmail or yahoo account, they keep various logs of who logged in where and when and from what IP address. All logs can be made available in the event of criminal or civil court proceedings as could a request for the computer of the individual who it is suggested sent the email

Hotmail especially dumps alot of it's web page on the computer that is used to login to the account.

In other words, if it was you sending the email there are ways and means that could lead to the apology becoming financial!!
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#5
gunnerfalkey said:
Hyporthetically speaking, If someone had sent an anonomous email that was supposedly defamatory could they obtain a court order to locate the sender through their IP address?

And if the statements made within the said email were ones that were true, and the ones that were not were stated as "I believe" "my feelings are" then surely that does not amount to a statement of supposed fact? Therefore such a sender could not be liable...

I believe the cost of such proceedings would be extreme in any case, and certainly not one in which the person involved could afford, i believe it to be an idle threat.

I have Issued a retraction and apology anyway so....
Basically, you're fcuked.

Hope this helps . . . . . c0ck face! :twisted:
 
#6
there are many computer programs and service providers out on the market which could be used to trace IP addresses.

If they wanted to go to court they need to have lots of money and prove also it was you even though it came from your machine.

But in light of what you have said, this looks like an open and shut case. also supposedly defamatory could be a grey area as its possible the people who received this information may already know about this.

sorry was only building your hopes. Panic for a few days, prepare to top yourself, and then you will find you've worried about nowt, but learned a valuable lesson dont get caught
 
#8
There are numerous ways to make it difficult to trace an email back to an individual. There are however no means to make it impossible. If you want to send abusive emails and not be caught one way is via an internet cafe and a disposable email address, such as a hotmail one. Even then if the effort was put in (cctv etc) you could still be caught. Bottom line, don't send an email you are unwilling to be held accountable for.
 
#9
Laptop with wireless card - wander around any big city until you can connect to someones unsecured wireless network - Create temp email account with any one of hundreds of providers - send c0ckface e-mail and then log off and go home.

Chances of getting caught = as close to nil as possible, you could disguse your self and then throw the laptop in the nearest river to make it 100% certain.
 

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
#10
Quite simple - while walkimng by an unattended PC/laptop, jump on and send as many derogatory e-mails on their account as you can before they come back.

Points to note: Do not leave your PC/laptop unattended and unlocked! Do not get caught!!
 
#12
Try using somethig ike www.hush.com for a start.....

I used to have a untracable IP address before I moved down coutry, it was a radio linked conection with constantly shifting IP address. Not entirely sure how it worked but it had a random IP adress asigned every time you logged onto the net.
 
#13
roadster280 said:
Not that simple. The DHCP server on the network that you're robbing airtime from may well log MAC address against the private IP it dishes out. Ergo it is traceable. You can spoof your MAC address sometimes, but not always.
Yes but then they will have to find the laptop with that mac address. Which is you were logged on from outside the building is pretty much nigh on impossible, unless you go and do it again from the same place of course.

Unlessssss (tin foil hat firmly on) the government has a list of every MAC address every issued?

Now you have got me thinking, I know that each mac address has a vendor code, so that means you could trace the people who made the card, which means they could tell you which shop it went to, the shop will most probably have a list of who bought which laptop = they can come and kick your door down at midnight and drag you away..

Fcuk! Will have to buy one for cash from a dodgy looking bloke in a pub, whilst wearing a burka and then throw it away..

All that just to call someone a c0ckface? :lol:
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#14
Bravo2nothing said:
Biped, you're obviously 'here to help'!

:D
Well, I thought to myself, if calling someone a c0ckface in an email can get you in trouble, simply do it on an anonymous forum . . . . . .







. . . . . and then I realised that I'm not anonymous anymore and have to behave myself :x
 
#15
infact just send a REAL letter from another town, cutting out and using the text from magazines and newspapers.
Dont forget to use gloves and non traceable prick stick and leave no DNA behind

there you go no chance of been tracked. It doesnt matter what anyone says on here, if your not a seasoned hacker you can get and most likely will get caught.
 
#17
Hush mail is good but it is based on the TOR network which because of the anonymous benefits, has been exploited by the paedo fraternity, closely followed by plod. A nice useable tool if commonly associated with kiddy fiddlers.

MAC spoofing can be done...don't worry the Government aren't that good.

I think these days if you wish to abuse anyone and not get caught, use a ski mask and a good pair of trainers.
 
#18
The_Rattler said:
infact just send a REAL letter from another town, cutting out and using the text from magazines and newspapers.
Dont forget to use gloves and non traceable prick stick and leave no DNA behind

there you go no chance of been tracked. It doesnt matter what anyone says on here, if your not a seasoned hacker you can get and most likely will get caught.
I really hope that is a typo and you meant pritt stick. But knowing how this place works I'm not sure.
 
#19
Steven said:
roadster280 said:
Not that simple. The DHCP server on the network that you're robbing airtime from may well log MAC address against the private IP it dishes out. Ergo it is traceable. You can spoof your MAC address sometimes, but not always.
Yes but then they will have to find the laptop with that mac address. Which is you were logged on from outside the building is pretty much nigh on impossible, unless you go and do it again from the same place of course.

Unlessssss (tin foil hat firmly on) the government has a list of every MAC address every issued?

Now you have got me thinking, I know that each mac address has a vendor code, so that means you could trace the people who made the card, which means they could tell you which shop it went to, the shop will most probably have a list of who bought which laptop = they can come and kick your door down at midnight and drag you away..

Fcuk! Will have to buy one for cash from a dodgy looking bloke in a pub, whilst wearing a burka and then throw it away..

All that just to call someone a c0ckface? :lol:
No dice - easy enough to change the MAC address your network card uses especially with the likes of Windows which allow it to be overridden even if the driver itself doesn't have the mojo to do it.

... by which I mean - fill your boots - use your laptop, spoof someone else's MAC address in mickey D's or wherever, create your throwaway email address and call whoever a c0ckface, just don't bin your laptop after.

...but don't do it to the wrong guy because courts don't really help directly when you've been punched in the fizzer by said c0cface - after all what fun would it have been had they not been entirely clear who it was had such a high opinion
 

Latest Threads