IP Blocker?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by thegreasemonkey, Aug 24, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anybody with a MacBook know of an ip blocker that will allow me to watch things like BBC iplayer etc while abroad? Can find loads for windows but not one that will work on a MacBook! Thanks in advance.

2. There is a site called Watch UK TV and BBC iPlayer while Abroad | UK TV Abroad, you have to subscribe but it`s coppers mate. They re-route your IP so it appears that you are still in the UK. I can also access my full Sky TV package when away as well. BBC player, ITV player, 4OD are all available.

3. Not the solution you were specifically looking for but a VPN service like AirVPN would cost 8 quid a month and lets you watch US and UK online media.

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

there is an addon for firefox and chrome called modify headers which is a simple way of bypassing some controls

Watch The Daily Show on Google Chrome | Xtremis Reaction

I've used it to watch US streams like the daily show.

firefox also has something called stealthy I believe.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=watch+iplayer+abroad+on+chrome&oq=watch+iplayer+abroad+on+chrome&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l2.16873j0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

the standard bit of software which worked was expat shield which I set up for my brother and his missus over in wurstland.

Software cheat lets people watch BBC iPlayer abroad: An update | Kevin Rawlinson | Independent Notebook Blogs

Mac people- anything like Expat Shield for us?

not sure if this would work - WineBottler |Â*Run Windows-based Programs on a Mac

just looking at the media hint extension for chrome.

5. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

I recommend these StrongVPN.com - Providing high speed, unlimited bandwidth, multiple country VPN accounts for over 100,000 users. Since 1995

I have been using them for years and even in the Middle East it works. Plus you get the security benefit of a VPN for public networks. I use it on my iPhone when ever I am using public WiFi (Starbucks and the like) to ensure that I can't get hacked or intercepted.

Plus depending on the package you can get a second account for $2 a month, I use this for USA access and the main account for UK access. In the word of VPN providers there are real cowboys, these guys are solid and dependable.

6. Cheers for that. 55 dollars for a year. Piece of piss and excellent customer service.

7. match of the day is on soon and liverpool beat united, i need a solution to this lol!

8. Google "UK Proxy"

9. I dont know if one if better or faster but I prefer PeerGuardian because of how it installs (doesnt install a driver into your NIC like protowall does). Plus it allows you to easily bypass http.