Involvement in politics?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by lanky, Feb 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that serving members of the military are not allowed to stand for Parliament without leaving...but can you get involved in helping out, such as exciting stuff like writing envelopes, door to dooring etc?

I have not got access to the rules at the moment.

Many thanks.
  2. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

No clue on the regulations, but I would suggest pretty much a NO WAY.

You are a servant of [a] The Queen and then The Government of the day.

I'd guess there's nothing to prevent you joining the Party of choice, making contributions and attending fund-raising functions. But active participation in the processes would be tricky.

I speak as one who got stuck in immediately AFTER retirement.
  3. Lanky I went to my boss and asked a question along the same lines once. He asked me which Party, I answered not the Labour Party and then he was happy..... :D

Turns out his wife was a treasurer.....
  4. Obviously it would not be in uniform and if door to dooring I would avoid the quarters.
  5. Do it anyway!
  6. blue-sophist

Find the relevant regulations ... ;-)
  7. When an MP can claim up to £24,000 quid a year Additional Allowance, put a claim in for £250 without a receipt, and can claim £400 a month for food, why should you volunteer to be one of their unpaid minions? Let the barstewards do it themselves! You'll only be spreading their LIES anyway, no matter which party you are assisting. If you are serving don't do it.
  8. blue-sophist

I presume you don't vote either? :wink:
  9. If no one else beats me to it I'll come back later and give the quote from QRs.

There is a prohibition against members of the Regular forces "taking an active part in the affairs" of a political party. I dont believe this prohibits individual membership as such.

However I suspect that canvassing on behalf of a political party (ie the door to door bit) could well be regarded as playing an active part.

Attendance at political rallies (ie as a member of the audience) is specifically allowed, provided it is out of uniform.
  10. Nope, I'm a Bhuddist and I dont believe in making people miserable! :D
  11. blue-sophist

Well, delivering leaflets would definitely be a no-no ... you might tread on an ant :wink:
  12. Hey, I once came back as an ant. Then I was trampled on by Anne Widdecombe. And before you start I didn't pay her!
  13. You are a marine. There is no such thing as speech that is free. You must pay for everything you say
  14. Cheers!
  15. Below is the promised quote from QRs for the Army.

Comment: It is an interesting question whether activities such as canvassing are truly prohibited, assuming that uniform is not worn. "Taking an active part in the affairs of ..." arguably implies a more influential role, such as being a party constituency office-bearer. True, canvassing is an activity in the public eye unlike, say, envelope-stuffing. If anyone has direct experience of the application of this regulation I would be interested.