Invitation to British MPs to spend Christmas in Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ABrighter2006, Nov 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Thought this might be of interest; Has taken a bit of planning, but now in a position to offer the following:

www.WeOweItToThem.com webpage - Invite

2. Reminds of the "Girls Aloud to play a christmas concert at Camp Bastion" roumer.

3. No MP's so pretty NT.

To make the point clear here - this is not a government or military sponsored event. The only contact with UK military will be on visiting BIA in 2008 to witness the host's meeting with Home Office reps dealing with the application.

4. Bumpity-bump

5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Any takers yet? Pigs might fly :D

6. As much chance of an MP going on this as finding 2 discs with 20 million names on it

7. Anyone here live round Bethnal Green way? :twisted:

8. It's a fair question.

Sadly, although not the biggest surprise, not as yet.

That said, getting the word around is, as always the stumbling block.

Early days, but many of the translators are keen that a British MP, gets to live their life, with them during this timeframe.

If anyone has access to a spreadsheet or data source with all of the current serving MP's / emails / contact details, I could sure make use of it. Currently working through www.TheyWorkForYou.com, but is a pretty slow method, etc.

Feel free to email your MP, and make him or her, (we have female translators that are willing to share experiences over the coming six weeks) aware of this invitation.

Although, a bit quirky, it should be made clear that the suggestion to do this has come from those currently applying to the FCO scheme. All I am doing is making MP's aware of it and helping to facilitate if we get a volunteer MP. In particular, we would welcome interest from MP's with direct interest in this matter, Foreign Secretary in particular, as he has already spoken on this issue a number of times now.

Have had a couple of responses from researchers "on behalf of MP's" wanting to know further details. But, the original text above, gives enough information for the moment.

If anyone has any further questions, I will try to answer them here, equally, please understand that there is a necessary OPSEC angle to this, despite the "safety" which the Home Office timings indicate to anyone who cares to listen.

Apologies for becoming something of a one trick poster for the time-being, hope the ARRSE massive is understanding of this. I will ensure that ARRSE is kept fully up to speed.

AB

9. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Bump, bump, bumpity bumpity bumpious!

Edited to add: Forwarded verbatim to my local MP. :D

10. whilst a novel approach, all a bit pointless really, a bit like those tv docs where they take a groups of kids from hackney and send them to eton for a week etc...

i feel a better approach would have been to arrange for an MP to act as an observer in a multiple for a couple of weeks over the xmas period, pref one with a family and kids...they could live hand in glove with the lads...more value

11. Understand your comment Goon_Bde regarding it being a novel approach, and it has been discussed for the last three weeks with many of those at risk.

Your analogy on "fly-on-the-wall" docs is accurate with one major exception. Those being filmed for our "entertainment" are not normally in fear of their lives.

The UK Government considers that it does not have to evacuate these people with any great urgency, and the continuous delay is increasing the risk to them.

Whilst only too happy to see UK politicians out on the ground with the mil in Southern Iraq (or, any other Op ) to see for themselves the work of the mil, this is nothing to do with BRITFOR.

The very point here is "Why should MP's be offered any form of protection, when the translators do not have any?".

In essence, if any MP wishes to take up the offer, they may well find themselves, moving between locations, hiding in safe houses whilst their family are intimidated elsewhere. Ultimately, if they are in the company of a translator targetted by militia, then they will face exactly the same risks as the translator.

Not up for a ruck, and I do sincerely understand that this is not the most sophisticated method of raising awareness of the issue. On the other hand, I think there is very real value in making MP's face the same risks as the translators - it might just bring into sharp focus, the situation that these people continue to face, despite the words of 9 October.

12. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Tory & Lib Dems easy as they are all on their Party Web sites. You will find that the Liarbour ones take a little more time and effort.

13. Cheers elovabloke, but ideally, looking for a spreadsheet or datasource that can then be merged through Word and Exchange to turn a 30 hour task into 30 mins. Thanks though, I will have a look and in the words of Clare Raynor, press on.

14. Here's a list of all the MPs which could be pasted into Excel.
    http://www.parliament.uk/directories/hciolists/alms.cfm

Unfortuantely the email addresses aren't given but are submitted through a form. Maybe some one could knock up a quick script to automatically send an email to all the addresses?

15. PsyWar - top man. No problems on the script side, I know enough code to be dangerous when need be!