Invisible IEDs

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by sapperbraindead, Sep 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Very very dangerous,but surely nothing new.Insurgents in the Gulf in the 70's used plastic AP mines & chinese designed heavy mines built in wooden fruit crates.I seem to recall being shown a mine detector that would identify them even with a tiny amount of metal.Worked on a different principle to a metal detector.Think these mines were also much more responsive to sympathetic detonation?Anybody out there who actually knows what they're on about,as opposed to my drivellings?

2. ... and if you think this is a subject that should be discussed here you are absolutely brain dead!

3. I did hear that the use of bees has been highly effective.

4. HE117 - "and if you think this is a subject that should be discussed here you are absolutely brain dead!"
    Again, this obsession with OPSEC or whatever SEC. The guys making the bombs know very well what works and what does not. It we start to find ways to kill an IED they will make some change. Remember when we learned to defeat anti-tilt on Belfast bombs they came up with super glue. However, any reassurance for the poor sods in the firing line is a valuable thing and some info would be of value to that end.

5. We need to put far more effort into interdicting the bombers themselves, if they are planting thousands of these things as some commentators state, then that is thousands of opportunities to give them the good news.

Detection is all very well, but killing them in the act of planting should be where the main effort is aimed.

RAF advertisers take note.

6. I disagree Oldredcap. We sometimes give the enemy credit for being cleverer than he is and likewise sometimes think he is dumber than he is. Either way we should refrain from discussing detail about special tactics and techniques on here for the very reason that he might actualy not be fully informed about some things - or might be lacking in confirmation about specifics. I found it interesting during my stay in Iran this year that although many UK based sites are censored in Iran including the BBC, news papers, anything critical of Islam, other military related sites, some universities... ARRSE is not. One can only speculate as to why that is.

7. Do they share the same squaddy sense of humour?

8. #

Not the ones I met 8O

9. Fcuk me! Is it msr?! Is msr the enemy??

10. Possibly members of the Iranian Damarvand Battalion,gulf mid-70's again,might be high up in their government now,& feeling nostalgic? :wink: My point is,if the equipment & systems were in place when braindead dinosaurs like me were in,why the flipping heck (or similar) aren't they being used today!Lack of training,knowledge or cost-cutting? :cry:

11. I believe there has been some progress in training over-excited Downs Syndrome kids to run through danger areas. The look of joy as they run around with birthday hats at jaunty angles, their thumbs inside their fists holding a melting toffee apple in one hand and a pencil in the other shouting 'DONKEYS' at the top of their voices, has a degree of 'shock and awe' effect aswell.

Opsec prevents me going on.

12. Apparently rats are being trained in Africa for de-mining.

De-mining rat

The rats are attached to little red harnesses and guided down the length of a 100-square-meter field by their trainer. When the rat hits on a suspected mine, it stops, sniffs and starts to scratch. These rats are not only huggable, but they are smart (unlike some African politicians who are neither smart nor huggable), they work fast – two can cover 200 sq m per day – an area that takes a human 2 weeks. And are too light to detonate the mines they’re sniffing so don’t worry, they do not go BOOM…splat!

The project to train rats started in Tanzania as a collaboration between Belgians and Tanzanians at Sokoine University through an organization called APOPO. They call the rats HeroRATS and their website is full of information, history, heroRAT worship and yes, you can even adopt a HeroRat for 5 Euro per month, chose between Allan, Chosen One, Kim or Ziko.

http://www.afrigadget.com/2009/02/09/scratch-and-sniff-the-rat-de-mining-squad/

13. Interdiction must be the best weapon against the IED teams. Lack of critical mass in the British Armed forces though......

14. Yes, but we don't have a problem with rats in this country. Mongs on the other hand............

15. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

There are a wealth of detection techniques out there, I know of at least 2 groups (one MOD and one Civvi) who are investigating a large number, although the majority are not militarisable (word?) but rest assured there are people working on it.

There is a very good paper on the interweb done by the americans on mine detection, similar problem to IED, covers all the bases if you want it's location feel free to send a PM...it's quite a boring read though.

S_R