Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Investments" BAOR. Can anyone jog my memory?

I have NO time for 'veterans' who complain that they could not prepare for civilian employment. Even a recruit - binned after a week or so - is eligible for a career transition workshop (which is very good), housing workshops and access to job boards.

Totally agree.

Although my my resettlement course was an attendance course with no formal qualification at the end, it was a massive insight into civilian logistics which served me well over the next few years.

The expectation, terminology and business environment was all helpful, and gave me an expectation of what to say and do. I've interviewed several Ex-SNCO & WO's who have no real concept of a civilian business life, and did who-knows what on their resettlement, if any at all?

The biggest critics of resettlement, in my opinion, are those who spunked it up the wall on pointless courses, or didn't bother at all, but blame the Mil establishment for not having done so.

I've interviewed several Ex-SNCO & WO's who have no real concept of a civilian business life,

I think quite a few serving SNCOs & WOs like that, post on here.

The expectation, terminology and business environment was all helpful, and gave me an expectation of what to say and do. I've interviewed several Ex-SNCO & WO's who have no real concept of a civilian business life, and did who-knows what on their resettlement, if any at all?
I think quite a few serving SNCOs & WOs like that, post on here.
I would add to this a few officers I have encountered - especially over the last 18 months.

I worked in the family business during school and university holidays so had common dogf&ck knowledge of business practice - paying suppliers, basic employment law, basic accountancy etc - yet there were times I encountered jaw-dropping ignorance from officers and CS who had not one jot of how commerce works.

I think that's a little cynical. Many of the CTP courses are free whereas others are contracted out to other providers who are paid when there are students. The money doesn't go back to the MOD. Moreover, if you find a course of training or a civilian placement, it is a simple process to have that approved and to get funding for it.

I attended a three week Business School Post-graduate course, came out with a external and recognised qualification, and spent three weeks staying in a rather nice hotel. Total cost (having used my various grants and ELCs): £400. If I had walked in off the street, including hotel, all meals and travel costs, I would have had little change from £6000.

Very, very few employers, including the public sector, offer any resettlement training. Even if you are made redundant from a City firm, you might be given access to a careers counsellor for a couple of appointments, and have access to an office in the City or Canary Wharf for a month or two - and only if that is negotiated as part of your settlement.

I have NO time for 'veterans' who complain that they could not prepare for civilian employment. Even a recruit - binned after a week or so - is eligible for a career transition workshop (which is very good), housing workshops and access to job boards.
You obviously work for the MOD. I have NO time for people like you, sucking the MODs cock. Why would the public sector offer resettlement training? The military is a completely different entity, and anyone who thinks it isn’t is a moron. The military (by their own admission) deconstructs an individual and builds them back up. The public sector doesn’t. Resettlement training is essential. What I can’t stand is the promise of a pot of gold at the end of a course paid for by the MOD if the individual uses their MOD resettlement grant on it “At the end of this course you will be fully qualified blah blah blah” No, you’ll have a qualification that without years of OJT or experience, no one will touch you with. What job did you get out of your non-MOD funded post graduate course?
For the record, I did very well out of my ELCs and resettlement courses, they’ve saved me a fortune. I’ve gone from having no education to a Batchelors degree and post graduate qualifications. Trying to have courses approved was an absolute nightmare

You obviously work for the MOD. I have NO time for people like you, sucking the MODs cock. Why would the public sector offer resettlement training? The military is a completely different entity, and anyone who thinks it isn’t is a moron. The military (by their own admission) deconstructs an individual and builds them back up. The public sector doesn’t. Resettlement training is essential. What I can’t stand is the promise of a pot of gold at the end of a course paid for by the MOD if the individual uses their MOD resettlement grant on it “At the end of this course you will be fully qualified blah blah blah” No, you’ll have a qualification that without years of OJT or experience, no one will touch you with. What job did you get out of your non-MOD funded post graduate course?
For the record, I did very well out of my ELCs and resettlement courses, they’ve saved me a fortune. I’ve gone from having no education to a Batchelors degree and post graduate qualifications. Trying to have courses approved was an absolute nightmare
I have served in the MOD in uniform, so to speak and I was medically discharged last year after 30 years in the RAF; I am currently contracted to support another Department in Whitehall at present. Even so, I can't follow the point that you are trying to make.

You seemed to have had a bad experience which has left you traumatised. I suggest that people planning their resettlement undertake basic due diligence on the courses that are offered. Or is that a 'MOD' failing, again?

JBI, John Brown Investments, a salesman in every garrison in the early 80s. Selling Life and kit insurance and being very kind by offering to carry out the mandatory finance lectures to new drafts. The one in Hohne was an ok chap and reasonably under control and his kit insurance policy saved a few skins.

I have served in the MOD in uniform, so to speak and I was medically discharged last year after 30 years in the RAF; I am currently contracted to support another Department in Whitehall at present. Even so, I can't follow the point that you are trying to make.

You seemed to have had a bad experience which has left you traumatised. I suggest that people planning their resettlement undertake basic due diligence on the courses that are offered. Or is that a 'MOD' failing, again?
No, I had a generally positive experience.
Interestingly though is that you spent 30 years in the RAF, and now work for another department in Whitehall. Not exactly a giant leap away from what you were doing in uniform is it? Institionalised?
My point is the way MOD funded courses are punted on to those who don’t know better, to use their MOD grants, with false promises. Usually by resettlement advisors who are usually retired SNCOs who also couldn’t make the giant leap away from another MOD department.

JBI, John Brown Investments, a salesman in every garrison in the early 80s. Selling Life and kit insurance and being very kind by offering to carry out the mandatory finance lectures to new drafts. The one in Hohne was an ok chap and reasonably under control and his kit insurance policy saved a few skins.
The guy in Bruggen was very good

Interestingly though is that you spent 30 years in the RAF, and now work for another department in Whitehall. Not exactly a giant leap away from what you were doing in uniform is it? Institionalised?
Pardon? Do you even know what the job of the RAF is? :)

Absolutely, it’s to delay homeward bound pongo flights, is it not?
And lose luggage, stop pongos carrying offensive weapons on HM Forces aircraft.

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
My resettlement course was excellent - 3 weeks in Aldershot doing plastering, painting, plumbing, bricklaying etc. All ranks, first names, everyone from VSOs to 3 week privates, SF guys, folks with PTSD.

It made no difference to my civilian employment but it was by far the most enjoyable course I ever did in nearly 40 years' service.

I even ended up with my foot in a pot of wallpaper paste at one point - proper Fred Karno.

My resettlement course was excellent - 3 weeks in Aldershot doing plastering, painting, plumbing, bricklaying etc. All ranks, first names, everyone from VSOs to 3 week privates, SF guys, folks with PTSD.

It made no difference to my civilian employment but it was by far the most enjoyable course I ever did in nearly 40 years' service.

I even ended up with my foot in a pot of wallpaper paste at one point - proper Fred Karno.

I got a plumber mate who says he used to regularly get ex forces turning up at his company thinking they are going to get a job on the back of their 2 week resettlement plumbing course.

One of the courses I did. Absolutely brilliant, learned a shed load, met some great people, instructors were outstanding. It has saved me a fortune, I’m currently refitting my downstairs khazi. Something which I no doubt would have bodged

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
One of the courses I did. Absolutely brilliant, learned a shed load, met some great people, instructors were outstanding. It has saved me a fortune, I’m currently refitting my downstairs khazi. Something which I no doubt would have bodged
As I was hopping around my little practice room covered in wallpaper alongside a chap I'd been at Sandhurst with, an instructor looked in and muttered 'fooking officers...' and left us too it.

Thus my career ended in pretty much the way it began!

RedDinger

Old-Salt

I cant complain either. 3 weeks in Aldershot learning to fix Tellys, Videos, Stereos etc. Came in handy for many years fixing my own and friends stuff.

syrup

LE
Biggest thing I've found that are a pain in the arse are the ex NCO's who think they are still NCO's

Saw it while I was in with the institutionalised nob heads who left on the Friday and came back as civvie storemen or MT on the Monday.
Don't seem to understand that some tasks come with the job and being ex rank doesn't mean you have a pass to doing them.

Unfortunately out in civvie street Transport in particular is full off them.
We've one contractor on our site who decided to bawl out one of my lads and then me when I intervened.
(He actually told the lad to stand up when being spoken to)
His bosses reply was he's an ex RSM hew can't help it

It was pointed out that we aren't in the forces anymore so it counts for nothing and if apologies aren't forthcoming he'll be an ex RSM barred from all our UK sites.

No, I had a generally positive experience.
My point is the way MOD funded courses are punted on to those who don’t know better, to use their MOD grants, with false promises. Usually by resettlement advisors who are usually retired SNCOs who also couldn’t make the giant leap away from another MOD department.

My career advisors - the first one was a former COO of a Merchant Bank (ex HAC and working pro bono); the second is a retired Maj Gen who had a significant presence in the PSC world.

The last 15 years of my career was completely away from the RAF (and last served on an RAF unit in the 1990s) and only returned to the MOD a couple of years back, and I would like to think very un-institutionalised. I now use my contacts, skills and knowledge lucratively on contract supporting government initiatives. The work is interesting and the hours are long and I can now WFH. I would prefer to restore furniture and antique cameras, but that doesn't pay for a divorce and kids in education.

Rolf Harris ?
I have to admit to a fail here , I have some of his original and signed artwork purchased as an investment.
I have no idea what to do with them , they have been boxed up and consigned to the attic.
I doubt I will make anything on them in my lifetime the cnut

RedDinger

Old-Salt
I have to admit to a fail here , I have some of his original and signed artwork purchased as an investment.
I have no idea what to do with them , they have been boxed up and consigned to the attic.
I doubt I will make anything on them in my lifetime the cnut
They still seem to be worth a few quid. I've no idea if they went down in value though.

Latest Threads