Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Investments" BAOR. Can anyone jog my memory?

RedDinger

Old-Salt
They’ve evolved now mate. Now it’s Genistar. Unqualified people suddenly becoming qualified to sell investment advice
It was Endowment policies back in the 80s. Guaranteed to pay off a mortgage in 10 years.

They’ve evolved now mate. Now it’s Genistar. Unqualified people suddenly becoming qualified to sell investment advice

Every few years they change so the mugs could say "but this one is different".

Now I come to think of it, there are several "to good to be true" fast money schemes

The Daily Star used to run full page adverts for some bloke who had been close to winning the lottery selling a guide on how to win. Cos if you knew how to win, you would just tell everyone instead of winning. The adverts were in there for months so someone must have been buying his guide.

The red tops with adverts for winners in the horse races, usually advertised as 5 winner from 6 picks, all you need to do is phone this premium number...

Its not hard to see why so many thickos fall for MLM.

On the subject of unqualified people, a lad I was in the Army with, has been in the transport management market for about 20 years, hes now had a career change where he can help with mental health, but rather than go to university and get a qualification in psychiatry, hes skipped that and did some online course, it took him about a week. He know runs courses (4 hours, 60 quid, 1 day 120 quid, 2 days 240 quid) resulting in a qualification from these people

Googling them, they seem legit, at those prices for a shit certificate on a course run by a bloke with no proper mental health qualification they seem like a scam,

Memory jog: o_O

Then there was the agent who flogged massive schranks to us. Got one in Minden in 1976.
I actually had it shipped back to the UK on posting and the ex flogged it one day after we'd separated. Hated the fookin thing anyway.
I bet the removal bods were really, really careful with you gear

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was that sap who bought one in Herford around 1996 ish, the wife- now ex really wanted it and I think it was about 600D’s. Now worth FA !
Ironically it’s one of the only things that the ex didn’t want from the marriage!
Stored under the stairs at the moment. I’ll let it go for a reasonable price if anyone wants it :grin:

View attachment 525344
School of W H Smith after Boots..

Dwarf

LE
So on one hand we have all you lot who decided to put your money to good use, and singly me who spent his wedge on apfelkorn and sleazy women.

After reading this thread I'm so glad I didn't waste my money.

What are these "shranks" of which you speak of?
Ein Schrank

1606844439404.png

Mate of mine invested in one particular piece of work, in the belief that it would only appreciate over time.

Attachments

• unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    56 KB · Views: 41
I was that sap who bought one in Herford around 1996 ish, the wife- now ex really wanted it and I think it was about 600D’s. Now worth FA !
Ironically it’s one of the only things that the ex didn’t want from the marriage!
Stored under the stairs at the moment. I’ll let it go for a reasonable price if anyone wants it :grin:

View attachment 525344
Next Nazi Gold rumours start. Put a small ad in the paper. " Painting imported/smuggled from Germany 1970" discretion required.

CFB

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
And it was a bastard to remove..............
What was that stuff you put on in an emergency and you got instant shine? A clear
liquid but it stunk.

Trouble is if it rained they turned white, that was a twat to get off and actually ruined your boots, can’t remember the stuff now.

What was that stuff you put on in an emergency and you got instant shine? A clear
liquid but it stunk.

Trouble is if it rained they turned white, that was a twat to get off and actually ruined your boots, can’t remember the stuff now.
You mean a Guardsman would resort to such low methods? I am astounded sir.

It resembles a cheap nasty flat pack.

Do people actually buy this shit?

Schrank? More like ****.

They certainly did. Every German house you went into had one.
Don't recall one like that, though. Most were darker wood and rather bigger with some ornate carvings on them.
Shudder....

The investment that gripped my shi-t was Amway

Popped up in BFG around 1992, sucked in gullible squaddies, dependents and ex-pats to spend loads and get brainwashed into this awful multi-level marketing pyramid scheme to get rich quick and for minimal effort.

It amazed me how sane intelligent people can become ruthless gullible saps in a very short time. A quick beer with a mate, suddenly turns into a hard sell and recruitment. We had one guy who chinned off his resettlement after 22yr for this crap and eventually had a nervous breakdown.

I thought it had died by the millennium, but then got contacted about 5yrs a go by a old mate for a chat, which turned out to be a convenient time to try and recruit me for his latest pension-pot-filler Arbonne International

He now drives vans for some shite company or other
Amway popped up in Hillingdon Division of the Met Police in the mid to late nineties. We had a number of guys who were into it. They were obsessed with it. They were like a cult similar to the Moonies. They were all going to get rich and become millionaires. I think they had to pay a hefty joining fee to an area manager who generally was also in the Met and they were given their starter packs and flip charts.

The only person I knew who ever bought any of their cleaning products was a civilian police staff office worker. She said the stuff was 'shit.' It didn't stop them though, they were obssesed. They were all going to retire early having made their fortunes. Everybody use to laugh at them and take the piss and tell them that their stuff was shit. It was funny when they got really upset. When one of them met up with another it was like members of a secret society meeting each other. They even outdid the Masons in the CID.

We had a lad who was tenured to us, back in uniform after 18 years in CID. He had previously been dealing with murder enquires. Really switched on bloke. He wasn't too bothered about the change in status he said as he was going to make far more self employed in a buisness he owned. He waffled on about buisness and buisness techniques when I said to him jokingly "what do you sell, Amway's"? He said "yes" all seriously and got all upset when I fell off my seat in uncontrollable laughter. He later took a job as a 'Home Beat' in Hayes (the armpit of the world) rather than resume his career in the CID.

I left Hillingdon in 1999, and after spending a year in Chelsea, spent 12 years in Brent for my sins. I never heard anything about Amways again.

Amway popped up in Hillingdon Division of the Met Police in the mid to late nineties. We had a number of guys who were into it. They were obsessed with it. They were like a cult similar to the Moonies. They were all going to get rich and become millionaires. I think they had to pay a hefty joining fee to an area manager who generally was also in the Met and they were given their starter packs and flip charts.

The only person I knew who ever bought any of their cleaning products was a civilian police staff office worker. She said the stuff was 'shit.' It didn't stop them though, they were obssesed. They were all going to retire early having made their fortunes. Everybody use to laugh at them and take the piss and tell them that their stuff was shit. It was funny when they got really upset. When one of them met up with another it was like members of a secret society meeting each other. They even outdid the Masons in the CID.

We had a lad who was tenured to us, back in uniform after 18 years in CID. He had previously been dealing with murder enquires. Really switched on bloke. He wasn't too bothered about the change in status he said as he was going to make far more self employed in a buisness he owned. He waffled on about buisness and buisness techniques when I said to him jokingly "what do you sell, Amway's"? He said "yes" all seriously and got all upset when I fell off my seat in uncontrollable laughter. He later took a job as a 'Home Beat' in Hayes (the armpit of the world) rather than resume his career in the CID.

I left Hillingdon in 1999, and after spending a year in Chelsea, spent 12 years in Brent for my sins. I never heard anything about Amways again.

If you google Amway they are massive, they make billions, they make lots of products, which are shit, (my Thai mate bought 5000 baht worth from his cousin that he couldnt then sell on),

Yet not only do they survive, they thrive.