Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Investments" BAOR. Can anyone jog my memory?

Memory jog: o_O

Then there was the agent who flogged massive schranks to us. Got one in Minden in 1976.
I actually had it shipped back to the UK on posting and the ex flogged it one day after we'd separated. Hated the fookin thing anyway.
Bought next doors shrank as they were posted back. Screwing the huge piece of ply on the back, thought one screw in the corner would hold it while I screwed the other corner. Ripped out and a corner, with the full weight behind it, landed on my right big toenail. I was rolling about in agony, ex-wife was rolling about laughing. Had to cancel my weeks x country skiing at the BOBC Norway which was due the next week. Constant ingrowing toenail infections for years afterwards!

Dont forget the 'suit' guy as well.

I bought my first ever suit fom a guy operating out of the cookhouse in Hobart barracks in Detmold. It was 1976 and the suit was a three piece jobbie in a fetching brown colour.

If I hadn't moved address a few times since then, I think I'd still be paying for it now and I cannot recall ever wearing it.
Blinking heck
I bought a nice grey 3 piece off forces tailoring grays inn
road london.
I still have the payment book which shows I overpaid 58shillings
The cost is listed as 245dm /512shillings.
Should I sue?
When I went on leave wearing it thinking I looked the dogs. The older men iin the village thought I was "flogger Hoskins"

Last edited:
The investment that gripped my shi-t was Amway

Popped up in BFG around 1992, sucked in gullible squaddies, dependents and ex-pats to spend loads and get brainwashed into this awful multi-level marketing pyramid scheme to get rich quick and for minimal effort.

It amazed me how sane intelligent people can become ruthless gullible saps in a very short time. A quick beer with a mate, suddenly turns into a hard sell and recruitment. We had one guy who chinned off his resettlement after 22yr for this crap and eventually had a nervous breakdown.

I thought it had died by the millennium, but then got contacted about 5yrs a go by a old mate for a chat, which turned out to be a convenient time to try and recruit me for his latest pension-pot-filler Arbonne International

He now drives vans for some shite company or other

Bubbles_Barker

LE
Book Reviewer
I fell in with an old mate from RMAS who was flogging insurance when I was a subbie in 1982. We drank a lot of port that night but I never succumbed to his salesmanship.

I did have to get up at 0600hrs after about an hour's sleep the next day to drive to Detmold for my PQS1 exam with 20 Bde.

Passed, amazingly.

Bought next doors shrank as they were posted back. Screwing the huge piece of ply on the back, thought one screw in the corner would hold it while I screwed the other corner. Ripped out and a corner, with the full weight behind it, landed on my right big toenail. I was rolling about in agony, ex-wife was rolling about laughing. Had to cancel my weeks x country skiing at the BOBC Norway which was due the next week. Constant ingrowing toenail infections for years afterwards!

Hmm, it would appear shranks and ex's go hand in hand.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC

Popped up in BFG around 1992, sucked in gullible squaddies, dependents and ex-pats to spend loads and get brainwashed into this awful multi-level marketing pyramid scheme to get rich quick and for minimal effort.

It amazed me how sane intelligent people can become ruthless gullible saps in a very short time. A quick beer with a mate, suddenly turns into a hard sell and recruitment. We had one guy who chinned off his resettlement after 22yr for this crap and eventually had a nervous breakdown.

I thought it had died by the millennium, but then got contacted about 5yrs a go by a old mate for a chat, which turned out to be a convenient time to try and recruit me for his latest pension-pot-filler Arbonne International

Amway were around BAOR long before that old boy. Housewives were conned into selling that stuff in the 70's.We were buying a substance from them called 'Morello' which when painted on, was a shortcut to highly bulled boots.

I was that sap who bought one in Herford around 1996 ish, the wife- now ex really wanted it and I think it was about 600D’s. Now worth FA !
Ironically it’s one of the only things that the ex didn’t want from the marriage!
Stored under the stairs at the moment. I’ll let it go for a reasonable price if anyone wants it :grin:

View attachment 525344
I hope you don't mind me saying, but that is gopping. Mass-produced in China, I believe.

ACAB

LE
Amway were around BAOR long before that old boy. Housewives were conned into selling that stuff in the 70's.We were buying a substance from them called 'Morello' which when painted on, was a shortcut to highly bulled boots.
And it was a bastard to remove..............

RedDinger

Old-Salt
Klear also, but we had to pray it didn't rain.

We had an Aussie Exchange Officer at RAF Lyneham in the mid 1990s who was madly in to AMWAY, to the point he tried to get some shipped back to Lyneham on a C-130 that was returning from an SF exercise out there. Suffice to say that didn't happen

Ahh Shranks and God-awful Grandfather clocks.

I was at RAF Shawbury as the RAF drew down from Germany and a number of personnel were posted to helicopter training. I recall the the noticeboards were full of Shranks and clocks for sale, as people soon realised they didn't fit into UK married quarters, and looked sh!t when they did. I visited Ramstein last year on a pre-discharge Supermarket Sweep and was astounded at the huge amounts of German (made in China) tat that was still for sale in the BX and concessions, and being lapped up by the Americans.

I brought a made to measure leather jacket off the suit guy. I was standing at the bar in the LAD bar in Trenchard Barracks in Celle when this chap came in and brought himself a drink. I had seen him around so I knew who he was.

He started chatting to me and I told him I didn’t want a suit but I might be interested in a jacket. I then brought a very nice made to measure leather jacket off him.

He measured me up for it while we were still standing at the bar.

RedDinger

Old-Salt
I brought a made to measure leather jacket off the suit guy. I was standing at the bar in the LAD bar in Trenchard Barracks in Celle when this chap came in and brought himself a drink. I had seen him around so I knew who he was.

He started chatting to me and I told him I didn’t want a suit but I might be interested in a jacket. I then brought a very nice made to measure leather jacket off him.

He measured me up for it while we were still standing at the bar.
Did he measure you up for leather trousers too?

download (2).jpg

I got a Thai friend whose cousin is an Amway rep, she is minted. She also has no friends and her family dont talk to her.

Herbalife is the current squaddie get rich quick schemes.

There was some other bellend whose name I forget who was inviting the juniors to hotel meeting rooms for a briefing, he turned up in a porsche looking the part. They had to sign up at a grand a pop under the belief they could sell water bottles for 40 quid a pop, one of my toms who went (didnt sign up) said out of the 30 of them 4 or 5 signed up. So 4 or 5 grand for the price of a hotel meeting room, a couple of hours of his time and some tat, no wonder the **** was driving around in a porsche.

Even as a kid in the 80s I remember soldiers boasting on their way out of the door how much money they were going to be making using a selling scheme known only to millions of other people.

Last edited:
Soldiers will always get sucked in to selling pyramid multi level schemes, because they’re gullible stupid cu nts, trainers, jeans, suits, music, Amway, Herbalife, now it’s Genistar.
The only people who make money are the ones who introduce the schemes into the military community, everyone else loses out eventually. I’ve binned off loads of friends who’ve tried pushing schemes on to me

I got a Thai friend whose cousin is an Amway rep, she is minted. She also has no friends and her family dont talk to her.

Herbalife is the current squaddie get rich quick schemes.

There was some other bellend whose name I forget who was inviting the juniors to hotel meeting rooms for a briefing, he turned up in a porsche looking the part. They had to sign up at a grand a pop under the belief they could sell water bottles for 40 quid a pop, one of my toms who went (didnt sign up) said out of the 30 of them 4 or 5 signed up. So 4 or 5 grand for the price of a hotel meeting room, a couple of hours of his time and some tat, no wonder the **** was driving around in a porsche.

Even as a kid in the 80s I remember soldiers boosting on their way out of the door how much money they were going to be making using a selling scheme known only to millions of other people.
They’ve evolved now mate. Now it’s Genistar. Unqualified people suddenly becoming qualified to sell investment advice

Issi

War Hero
I had an old friend contact me out of the blue, wondering if we could meet up for a chat

He was in Kent at the time, and I was in west Wales, but he still decided to drive down to see me, such was his confidence that I would sign up for his Amway spiel.

I fobbed him off all weekend, until I relented at about 1600 on the Sunday afternoon, he then popped out to his car, and came back in with a full on flip chart and an assortment of Magic Markers, and commenced his brainwashing.
"Did I see myself in a dead end job in 5 years time?"
"Wouldn't it be great to work for myself and just watch the money roll in?"
"Do you feel that you are wasting your time going to the supermarket once a week, as Amway can provide all of your needs - 5kg tubes of toothpaste, for only £35.00, that's a saving of over £3.00 a year!!"

I was a student at the time, and barely had enough for beer money, let alone setting up a brand new business. He wasn't too chuffed when I declined his kind offer, and helped him load his flip chart back into his car, for the lonely 5 hr drive home.
We don't speak much any more.

A friends sister in law jacked in her job as a solicitor to join the Herbalife Cult. Bizarre!

Latest Threads