Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Investments" BAOR. Can anyone jog my memory?

RedDinger

Old-Salt
In Germany in the 80s there was a constant stream of salesmen (usually ex-army) offering great investments. One of these was investing in paintings, which were going to be worth millions. I cant for the life of me remember who the artist was, and I'm wondering if I missed a great opportunity. Can any of you old people help? And did any of you invest in this?

In Germany in the 80s there was a constant stream of salesmen (usually ex-army) offering great investments. One of these was investing in paintings, which were going to be worth millions. I cant for the life of me remember who the artist was, and I'm wondering if I missed a great opportunity. Can any of you old people help? And did any of you invest in this?
Hitler and the Swiss-exiled stash

Unknown.jpeg
Unknown-1.jpeg

I bought these. Both originals and signed by the artists.
This time next year ......

The dreaded "art works" and encyclopaedia salesmen, with misleading and untruthful sales techniques.
It took a long time, but eventually warnings about these sort of vultures were made via the mediums of Pt 1Orders and in the Union Jack and Sixth Sense.

The pics were oil paintings, but of no artistic merit and were churned out on a virtual production line - one painter would do the mountains, then pass it on for someone else to do the trees, then another to put in the horses.
I suppose somebody put their name to the finished work, but it was not a known name.

murff576

Old-Salt
The dreaded "art works" and encyclopaedia salesmen, with misleading and untruthful sales techniques.
It took a long time, but eventually warnings about these sort of vultures were made via the mediums of Pt 1Orders and in the Union Jack and Sixth Sense.

The pics were oil paintings, but of no artistic merit and were churned out on a virtual production line - one painter would do the mountains, then pass it on for someone else to do the trees, then another to put in the horses.
I suppose somebody put their name to the finished work, but it was not a known name.
Why didn't you tell me that 40 years ago???

RedDinger

Old-Salt
The most prolific of salespeople were from the Mensing galerie in Hamm and their most popular artists included Fischer & Bucholz.
Mensing! That's the fella. Cheers :)

Dads203

Old-Salt
I was that sap who bought one in Herford around 1996 ish, the wife- now ex really wanted it and I think it was about 600D’s. Now worth FA !
Ironically it’s one of the only things that the ex didn’t want from the marriage!
Stored under the stairs at the moment. I’ll let it go for a reasonable price if anyone wants it :grin:

1606831416709.jpeg

RedDinger

Old-Salt
I was that sap who bought one in Herford around 1996 ish, the wife- now ex really wanted it and I think it was about 600D’s. Now worth FA !
Ironically it’s one of the only things that the ex didn’t want from the marriage!
Stored under the stairs at the moment. I’ll let it go for a reasonable price if anyone wants it :grin:
Is it signed by anyone? I'm trying to do a bit of research, out of boredom mainly.

View attachment 525344
Send it to one of the "new" artists. They could update it for you!
7ac2fb4ff570580cb5704f7d182916c4.jpg

images.jpeg
images-1.jpeg

Dads203

Old-Salt
Is it signed by anyone? I'm trying to do a bit of research, out of boredom mainly.

Here you go, I did a bit of research just to see if it worth anything, some have gone for a few grand from this guy, most go for a few hundred.
Schongarth is the painter.

1606832324610.jpeg

RedDinger

Old-Salt
Here you go, I did a bit of research just to see if it worth anything, some have gone for a few grand from this guy, most go for a few hundred.
Schongarth is the painter.
They are trying to sell a similar one on Ebay for £495. Which means the salesman lied to me! He assured me they would be worth millions in future. Luckily I was too skint to invest.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Dont forget the 'suit' guy as well.

I bought my first ever suit fom a guy operating out of the cookhouse in Hobart barracks in Detmold. It was 1976 and the suit was a three piece jobbie in a fetching brown colour.

If I hadn't moved address a few times since then, I think I'd still be paying for it now and I cannot recall ever wearing it.

I bought my first ever suit fom a guy operating out of the cookhouse in Hobart barracks in Detmold. It was 1976 and the suit was a three piece jobbie in a fetching brown colour.

If I hadn't moved address a few times since then, I think I'd still be paying for it now and I cannot recall ever wearing it.

Indeed Arte. Bought a 3 piece in again brown in Fally c 1974. Only ever wore it on leave back in the UK. Shite.

RedDinger

Old-Salt

I'm pretty sure my mate is still paying for the Disney books.

Memory jog: o_O

Then there was the agent who flogged massive schranks to us. Got one in Minden in 1976.
I actually had it shipped back to the UK on posting and the ex flogged it one day after we'd separated. Hated the fookin thing anyway.

Latest Threads