Investment Ideas?

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by wrighty, Oct 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Have just recently pulled out of buying a house with the intention of letting it out. Not that fond of the property game at present, and having my own home suits me fine at the moment. Consequently left with around 15k i wouldnt mind investing somewhere.

Does anyone have any ideas on either decent interest savings or shares that would suit this amount and give a half decent return, cheers.

2. msr

msr LE

Speak to an independent financial advisor. The first hour is free - anything you pay to them subsequently will be returned in spades.

msr

3. Fruit machines. Buy and rent a few out, or lease a property and cram it with fruitys. You'll be quids in by the end of the week.

4. What a nice position to be in!

That depends on your timeframe for needing the cash:

Soon - kill all your debts esp credit and store cards
    Instant access - probably around 6% gross in any bldg soc
    1 yr - 6.5 to 7.0% gross fixed rate bond but you can't touch it!
    Also consider a cash ISA - £3k earns about 5.5% tax free but you can't touch it for the year.
    1 yr - consider Zopa.com for part of your cash. Riskier but reportedly earning better than 8% at the moment. Make certain you understand the process better than the Chairman of Northern Rock....
    >1 yr - stock market but via unit trusts or investment trusts - stay with the major companies and don't stick it all in there in one go - just in case it all goes tits up!

Lots of useful savings sites around - all after your money! Let me know if you want more info and I will list those I use on here.

Alternatively, I have a nice little earner going at the moment - just send me the dosh and I'll invest it in any one of my nice little scams, I mean, projects... high returns and really safe....

Litotes

5. Very nice position to be in. I would certainly not be in property at the moment. There is an old saying buy when the canons are roaring and sell when the sun is shining. There are certainly a few stocks that are quite attractive at the moment and if you buy stock and have your dividents reinvested you get quite a nice swiss roll effect. Can't name and shame any tickers here for legal reasons. However there are some absolute bargains within the FTSE 100 at the moment.

6. Good to know the Nigerian scam is doing okay for you still, Litotes!

7. You could do worse than asking MDN. Seems to be the guy with the golden touch...reading his posts....

8. Yeah, I'm still sending them out and the dosh just keeps rolling in....

"Trust me, Everyone, I'm your Prime Minister", works sooooo well!

Litotes

9. My bolds for those two. If your going long term, from what I've read it would be a good idea to invest some of your money in companies that invest it in the stock market and let them play with it for a while, whilst getting some stocks in some business's that you think will rocket in a couple of years.

Then again, what do I know, I'm only 18.

10. Cheers for the advice, certainly beats my idea of beer and hookers. An ISA looks the way ahead with a bit, and a little dabble here and there in the stock market. Shall grab a financial advisor and hopefully be pointed in the right direction!

Does anyone have any useful net links to have a good old read up on?

11. Following on from your last post, the FSA have quite a good web site with "all the facts....", it's a bit 'Janet & John' but it as good as it gets without paying. FSA Money Made Clear

If you are looking for an IFA, try IFA local to you. As an IFA I would recommend one of us, even the Daily Mail think we are much better than nothing and Which say we are twice as good as the banks, (or at least more right twice as often!!!)

General advice and general financial sources, Motley Fool.

That said, if I did not have to remember the wife and son, beer and hookers would be a good default position.

12. The Motley Fool is a good site. Also www.iii.co.uk.

Read the Financial Times every Saturday. Read the Telegraph and/or Times most days and at the weekend.

Remember that your financial advisor has to eat - and you are about to feed him/her. Do some research first! And think about your attitude to risk... you may have to lose some money in order to gain...

Litotes

13. If you're still looking around...
    another good website for indy financial advice is:
    moneyfacts
    The first step IMHO is kill all your debts, as Litotes said.
    Good hunting!

14. Selling aircraft to the Saudis may or may not be a lucrative business.....

Arse seems to have fallen out of anything gold is really pricey, arse has fallen out of the dollar, how's about oil the price never seems to go down!

There's always blind 0.

Jockster

15. I am watching the turmoil in the market at the moment and wondering where to invest!

Good companies like Land Securities, Glaxo and Barclays have been hammered! But I suspect that we are not yet out of the woods. Don't try to catch a falling knife!

Litotes