Investing in Whisky

After being a wage slave for many years I'm being given some money with the criteria of it being spent on something tangible as opposed to a night out lap dancing and all the grey goose one can drink.

Anyhow I have a £1000 and I thought I could either buy a bottle as an investment or buy shares in a new distillery called Glenwyvis. One of the directors is an ex tiny weeny airways pilot and another's an ex para so some on here may already know them or about this.

So does anyone have any experience or advice with this sort of thing?

Ta.

I like Hibiki 17 years old and its price has risen astronomically so if you were going to buy whisky for investment purposes I would look at Japanese brands. They all seem to going up in price particularly the older ones.

Tyk

LE
Buying something as an investment that in the event of emotional stress or an excess of toilet duck you might go feckit and throw down your neck seems a high risk strategy to me.
£1000 isn't a lot to risk and investing in a genuine business that you have an interest in makes some sense.

My advice-
Take your £1k and party like a Russian gangster, strippers and Grey Goose all the way.

Xmas eve 2002 I bought a bottle of old comber whiskey for £250 which stopped production in 1952 sold it a few months back for £950 you won't lose money.
2008 I bought a bottle of 1974 old and rare for £130 whiskey online are quoating between £500 and £700 at action
Do some research on the whiskey forums and choose wisely

Medivac

Old-Salt
Wisely I invested in a few single cask, cask strength whiskies that have appreciated in value.

Optimistic about my alternative choice of investment and with a healthy bank balance from having been away on ops, I then invested in the Ladybank distillery. This did not end well, stinging me to the tune of a few thousand.

On a holiday in Islay, I noticed that there were casks available to invest in from Bruichladdich, but having recently had my fingers burned I lacked the appetite to invest.

I revisited Islay about five years later and on enquiring about investing in a cask was told that they don't do that any more, they didn't have enough whisky and were buying it back from the investors.

As with everything financial, it pays to do as much research as possible.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
UK Oil & Gas shares.

I've been in them since they were 0.1p and they peaked at around 11p, have hit down alto around 4p but from my research of their find at Gatwick, will go back up again easily enough in time.

I've made an absolute killing off of this.

Do your own research though.

I invested in Glenwyvis the first time round, it was I thought worth the £250
I received a T shirt, Bottle of Gin and getting a bottle of whisky when the first maturing batch has been bottled
I may make a profit but then it may go tits up, so far everything is on track if you go to Glenwyvis face book page you will see the progress reports of the distillery

Well I’ve been loitering around the whisky exchange and a couple of other sites and it seems buying bottles from closed distilleries may be the way to go. If I want to get all misty eyed about Glenwyvis my grandfather was born in Dingwall so I could do the returning Canadian thing whilst holding my share aloft and demanding a free dram.

The other thing I’ve discovered is that @Auld-Yin doesn’t seem to like Pilots being called reprobates.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Well I’ve been loitering around the whisky exchange and a couple of other sites and it seems buying bottles from closed distilleries may be the way to go. If I want to get all misty eyed about Glenwyvis my grandfather was born in Dingwall so I could do the returning Canadian thing whilst holding my share aloft and demanding a free dram.

The other thing I’ve discovered is that @Auld-Yin doesn’t seem to like Pilots being called reprobates.
Pilates mucker, not pilots! :D

A while ago now I bought 2 bottle of Loch Dhu from the Naafi. 40DM a bottle IIRC.
Drank about a quarter of one and discovered that the peat gave me the shits big style.

So I gave the opened bottle to a scottish acquaintance. His look out.

The other bottle stayed in the cellar through 2 postings and the move to civdiv.

I then gave it to my BIL as a wedding present ( don't like him much).

I looked up how much the stuff is worth when this thread came along.

£350 a litre.
:omg: Bollocks.

Latest Threads