Investing in People

Discussion in 'Reports & Promotion' started by tattybadger, Jan 16, 2005.

?
  1. None of our time is wasted - it's all precious and well spent.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I admit that some of the stuff that I do at work is a waste of time.

42.4%
  3. It's all a waste of time, effort and the taxpayers cash (sorry - should that read Gordon's cash?)

57.6%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was picking my nose in the office the other day when I noticed a tinny liitle IiP plaque.

It brought back to memory all the guff that was pumped out about IiP and how it would improve us as an organisation.

Years of paperwork/staffwork/briefings/long tedious hours collating useless bits of info/the odd MBE chucked at some blokes and guess what? Not a jot or iota's worth of difference to Inf Bns!

Could someone enligten me and tell me how it improved us as an organisation?

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

It put a badge on the Colonel's wall.

NEXT!

3. Remember your investments can go down as well as up!

4. He's hoofed it out and down the corridor already!

5. Add ISO 9000 to the list as well.

Thousands spent on setting up a standards based system (when we were doing it already just not in civ speak)

Then watch how annual budgets strain to keep up the annual ISO 9000 accreditation to the point where units cut their losses and remove the plaque that probably cost them in excess of 50K to achieve and keep.

The quality managment model, dont make me laugh. Money for old rope!

6. Disco - what the feck was that all about - another one that passed me by.

7. Mr_Fingerz

Just wait until EQMF (or some such variant) strikes.

EQMF (European Quality Managemant Framework) = Baggawnak

8. Sounds like a bovine STD!

9. Mr_Fingerz

just over the parapet, to the left.... no my left, see, just over there....

10. say again after respirator.

11. Mr_Fingerz

"sssshhhhhssssshhhhhh, fcuk"

12. Just because you can't tell the difference, doesn't mean there wasn't one.

ROCC, CLM, OJAR and SJAR are all direct products of the improving management bureaucracy of the Armed Forces that is a result of the pursuit of IiP and other accreditation schemes. Improvements to resettlement schemes, the introduction of opportunities to pursue civilian accreditation in many fields as well as Enhanced Learning Credits are all evidence of new schemes introduced to improve the Armed Forces investment in its employees.

Believe it or not, some (some, not all - I'm not that much of a "party man") cutbacks in manpower will have benefited the workforce as a whole as they were aimed at removing dead wood posts that were blocking up promotion opportunities for better soldiers and officers.

EFQM is on the horizon. It's an improvement on IiP as it's less about policy and more about practice (although IiP has improved in this respect, too). It also takes a different angle on management that IiP. Whereas IiP is about developing workers, EFQM is about effective management and leadship. it doesn't set standards, but rather identifies weak areas and allows managers to address their own problems.

That said, a great deal of effort in individual units has been expended purely because the man or woman at the top has seen achieving the badge as the step to get the next promotion, without actually taking on board the messages that IiP and its various clones are supposed to achieve.

I'd like to here from the REME about how they think TQM has affected workshops.

IF

13. For those that do not understand EFQM/ are interested see

http://www.efqm.org/model_awards/model/excellence_model.htm

Just do a Balance ScoreCard - no need to do the rest :roll: :wink:

14. As with anything, many aspects have improved things - resettlement, career management, NVQs, etc - a bit better than an 1157, a final mess bill and a photo-copy of the conduct sheet, although a long way to go.
    However, EFQM, IiP, etc - do they really need all that tedious paperwork to produce the 'evidence' under all of the various indicators? Sometimes the business of 'proving' it takes so much effort and paper trail that it becomes self-defeating.

In its unadulterated form, with no changes specific to the organisation, it really is the 'emporer's new clothes' - everyone nods their heads and says how good it all is, but the process is often more important than the result.

15. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

EFQM - and the dreaded 'Balanced Scorecard' - have infected the higher echelons of the MoD like a virus. Have a look at any MoD Management Plan and you will see the results. In fact, have a look at your own Management Plan (such as that for Land Command or 3 Div) and you will see what I mean.

Last year I spent many hours putting ours together, getting it amended, approved, coloured in (without going over the lines) and generally tarted up, and it was published to a wave of complete apathy. This year I will just change the dates, and see if anyone notices.