Investing in Lego

If your going to do it , buy one item and then attempt to sell it after 6 months or longer . The reason i say this is because i assume you see them on ebay going for more ? I buy and sell classic car parts and i see the same parts on there for months , sometimes years because they are asking a silly high price , which others then use as a base line for there own starting prices .

Just saying , because its got a high price tag does not necessarily mean that they are being bought for that . Test the waters first if i was you .

From what I have observed in the last few months the price tends to go stupid when the item is discontinued. Then after a few months it seems to settle down to about 20% - 30% over the previous retail price. Still a better return than the bank.

The Mrs picked up the Star Wars Boba Fett Slave 1 from the Lego shop yesterday. The bloke asked if it was a pressie for someone, the Mrs told him we are tucking them away for the kids as an investment. He said that he wished he had bought some of the early Harry Potter stuff as that is now fetching thousands.

You are right about the not selling for a high price though. I would'nt pay a fortune for a Lego and I would'nt expect many others to either. It can sit there unsold at silly money for years, personally if I don't pass them to the kids and decide to sell I would price to shift and not to feel good about the high value of the kits I can't sell.

Last edited:

Mattb

LE
If your going to do it , buy one item and then attempt to sell it after 6 months or longer . The reason i say this is because i assume you see them on ebay going for more ? I buy and sell classic car parts and i see the same parts on there for months , sometimes years because they are asking a silly high price , which others then use as a base line for there own starting prices .

Just saying , because its got a high price tag does not necessarily mean that they are being bought for that . Test the waters first if i was you .
You can search eBay for sold items, which gives you a much better idea.

Talking out of my bum, via a mobile telephone.

DITA

MIA
While in Germany I invested in quite a bit of the Star Wars Lego; Millenium Falcon (original issue), Sand Crawler, Slave 1, an X-Wing, Y-Wing and B-Wing, a TIE Fighter, The Emperors shuttle and Darth Vaders TIE Fighter (I think) to name a few.

Unfortunately the urge to build the things got the better of me, and each one was built.

Now the kits are either in an MFO box in the attic (mixed up), or a canoe bag in the cupboard under the stairs (mixed up). I still have the instruction books, but the boxes are pretty much goosed.

My own fault for being a big kid really. If I can find some of the pictures I took of them built, I'll post them up.

With regard to Airfix kits. I once went into a greengrocery in Bracknell, only to find it also stocked models. On a dusty shelf I found a carton containing 20 1:72 Handley Page Hampdens, priced up at £1 each to get rid of them. I knew they were a discontinued line. I popped out to a phonebox (it was that long ago) and called Hannants (I think) who told me they were worth £20 a pop. I bought the lot and had a wonderland of new kits in return from Hannants inside the week.

About a year later Airfix reissued the Hampden - strike while the iron is hot.

Just go online and check. Ebay for Lego Ferrari, technics F1 cars, Death Star. There is even a site, the name of which I forget, that tells you all about defunct Lego and up and coming Lego.

The way I see it: If I can buy a Lego, or two, which is, for example 100.00, then six months later it is no longer produced, or for sale, and I can sell it for 150.00 then that is more than I will get out of a bank, or out of some canny share dealing with all the associated risks. From what I have unearthed thoughtful buying will only result in profits - and if the worst comes to the worst you have xmas presents for the kids and nephews for the next couple of years.

This is the one that started me looking at them:

pTRU1-14683392_alternate1_dt.jpg

They were $125.00/$129.00 and now 5 months after they stopped selling them they are averaging around $170.00 - which is around a 30% increase (they initially went up to around $200). Don't pay any attention to the ones advertised in places like Russia, for obvious reasons.

The latest car out there, not sold in the USA, is Lego 42039 - a Le Mans type 24 hr racer.
Fark me. Lego's come a long way since I was a lad. These are the only kits I remember having as a nipper.
d4e4o5g414p4n5x5m4g574a4u5l4a4p4e5c4v5k4m5u2x28433r224w2t2w2z2s2q5i4b4y3x2r2s2l2v2x254.jpg
d4e4o5g414f4w5w5n4z5m44426a4k4l4y5v244x2c4w2x224x2u224v2f4o4f4q244m2s2.jpg
918-1.1118081270.thumb2.jpg
001.jpg

They look pretty goddam basic compared to what's put out nowadays.

Or more officially LEGO not Lego (they get picky about that in Billund)
Most of the sets are actually provided with evergreens (common components), the business model is to utilise these as much as possible and not do any custom bricks or pieces (and as such bring problems into the supply chain)
There is a LEGO builder programme or something out there which the designers use to come up with new models

Fark me. Lego's come a long way since I was a lad. These are the only kits I remember having as a nipper.
View attachment 202709 View attachment 202708 View attachment 202707 View attachment 202706
They look pretty goddam basic compared to what's put out nowadays.

I had the 918 spaceship (space Lego being my favorite) and it's bigger brother and built them so many times I didn't need the instructions to put them together any more. I was like some kind of savant with a rubiks cube selecting the correct brick and constructing them in record time from memory.
Seveal years back my parents told me they had kept my lego in the attic and would my kids liek it.
Of course I said yes, but almost all of the good stuff was strangely missing and just a few odds and sods left. I was gutted :(

latest

I had the 918 spaceship (space Lego being my favorite) and it's bigger brother and built them so many times I didn't need the instructions to put them together any more. I was like some kind of savant with a rubiks cube selecting the correct brick and constructing them in record time from memory.
Seveal years back my parents told me they had kept my lego in the attic and would my kids liek it.
Of course I said yes, but almost all of the good stuff was strangely missing and just a few odds and sods left. I was gutted :(

latest

From the age of 5 to about 14 - when I noticed girls - I used to be big into stamp collecting. The old man used to get every new issue from the Post Office for me and my German Nan used to stick a set on an envelope so they were stamped up and also put a new mint set in the envelope. I had everything back to the '66 world cup issue, loads of German stuff from WW2 and pre-WW2.

The old dear had the stuff at home and when I left the army planning to cash in the stamps for a 911 I was told my brother had taken his stamp collection and must have "accidently" taken some of my albums too - all my 'kin albums apart from the shite I would have given to Oxfam. Family, get stuffed, 20 years and we still don't speak.

- all my 'kin albums apart from the shite I would have given to Oxfam. .

Similar , I collected Marvel comics both US and the UK versions.

Had most of the first UK Avengers, Spiderman , X men etc.

After joining up the old dear moved and threw away the old comics as they were of no value??

Most go for $50 each now with the low numbers in the $100-125 range. So a few quid binned.

Investment update:

Four years ago bought Lego Technics Porsche GT3 $299 - Price now $899

Lego BMW R1200GS motorcycle. bought $48 - price now $200

Tips for the future:

Ferrari 488 $170. The last F car they made went up to nearly $1000 two months after it was discontinued.

DB5. This is almost gone from the shelves now and will go up when the next Bond film comes out in three years.

Ducati Panigale.

Cars, Harry Potter, and Star Wars always do well, particularly the cars (including motorbikes).

PFGEN

GCM
Investment update:

Four years ago bought Lego Technics Porsche GT3 $299 - Price now $899

Lego BMW R1200GS motorcycle. bought $48 - price now $200

Tips for the future:

Ferrari 488 $170. The last F car they made went up to nearly $1000 two months after it was discontinued.

DB5. This is almost gone from the shelves now and will go up when the next Bond film comes out in three years.

Ducati Panigale.

Cars, Harry Potter, and Star Wars always do well, particularly the cars (including motorbikes).

My money is in the Millenium Falcon and the modular buildings. I like the potential returns on the bikes. I had a look at the Lambo Sian and the Bugatti but I'm not so sure about them.

My money is in the Millenium Falcon and the modular buildings. I like the potential returns on the bikes. I had a look at the Lambo Sian and the Bugatti but I'm not so sure about them.

I reckon just on returns basis you can make more with smaller cheaper ones than the big un's. There will be a limited market for $1000 "toys", whereas with $200 toys there are plenty more potential buyers

PFGEN

GCM
I reckon just on returns basis you can make more with smaller cheaper ones than the big un's. There will be a limited market for $1000 "toys", whereas with $200 toys there are plenty more potential buyers

I'm going to have to wait a good few years for payback on the Falcon. Some of the previous large scale ones went for a factor 20 after ten years. Some of the smaller ones probably make more sense and are easily sold on.

I'm going to have to wait a good few years for payback on the Falcon. Some of the previous large scale ones went for a factor 20 after ten years. Some of the smaller ones probably make more sense and are easily sold on.

I started out with some of the big ones and after thinking about it switched to buying $50 ones that seem to go up to $200 to $300 making them still affordable to punters. I am going to grab a couple of those Ferrari 488's though, if they follow normal F car form they will be up to $1000 within a year of being discontinued.

An admission of stupidity: Before we started buying to put away we bought the lad the Falcon about 12 years ago.......yes, that one. He spent a couple of weeks building it, binned the box and displayed it in his bedroom. Nowadays he is gutted at how much it would have been worth if he had kept it mint and boxed.

If we do grab bigger kits the bloke in the lego shop, who knows us now, will go get one out of the stock room for us in the original, sealed delivery box. We leave it like that along with keeping the yellow lego bag and any gizzits they throw into the bag. I was told by a dealer that it makes them even more desireable to collectors if they are offered up like that.

PFGEN

GCM
I started out with some of the big ones and after thinking about it switched to buying $50 ones that seem to go up to $200 to $300 making them still affordable to punters. I am going to grab a couple of those Ferrari 488's though, if they follow normal F car form they will be up to $1000 within a year of being discontinued.

An admission of stupidity: Before we started buying to put away we bought the lad the Falcon about 12 years ago.......yes, that one. He spent a couple of weeks building it, binned the box and displayed it in his bedroom. Nowadays he is gutted at how much it would have been worth if he had kept it mint and boxed.

If we do grab bigger kits the bloke in the lego shop, who knows us now, will go get one out of the stock room for us in the original, sealed delivery box. We leave it like that along with keeping the yellow lego bag and any gizzits they throw into the bag. I was told by a dealer that it makes them even more desireable to collectors if they are offered up like that.

Oh dear, mine aren't mint. I always build the things but keep the boxes and instruction books (sealed if possible). Quite relaxing pottering away mindlessly with some Lego. After a while they get broken down again, bagged and stored to make space for the next ones. Not ideal but the inner engineer won't let me just put the boxes on the shelf.

The Star Wars lego holds and increases value well. The 20th anniversary sets - 2019 to commemorate the first releases in 1999 - I doubled my money on the start of this year. There was an article a few years back in the Telegraph (pre-paywall so I can't be arsed to search) where it quoted a timescale and demonstrated a couple of sets that appreciated more than gold in the same period.

I don't think it is a serious investment option - unless you have the space and conditions to keep mint sets still boxed.

Latest Threads