Investing in Lego

Yes, yes, have a larf.

Xmas, 2014, I went to buy the nipper a Lego Technics F1 car at the local Lego shoppe. "Out of stock, check online mate". So I did. I was marked up as an end of line item and reduced by 10%, I didn't have the creditcard handy so I decided to order later, subsequently forgot, a week later I get back to it and they are sold out.

Bugger! I start checking on thiefbay and other online sites and find that the original $125 price has now gone up to $200 where it is available. Unlucky nipper.

A few weeks later I'm walking past the lego shop and pop in to check the new releases for the lads upcoming birthday. I chat to the girl in the shop and mention the car. She tells me that she has been collecting lego for years, doesn't build it, just leaves it mint and boxed. Her prized item being the original Star Wars Death Star which can be worth anything up to a couple of thousand $$.

She explains the whys and wherefores of profiting from Lego to me. The best is to buy the items which commonsense tells you will be collectible even in the future.....at the moment the Batman Tumbler car and the Boba Fett spaceship. Also to consider are the cheaper end of the line such as the 20 quid 'ish items that can easily double in value (100% profit) but still remain cheap to buy for collectors of lesser means.

There were some cars like Ferraris and Lambo's made in the Technics range which seem to have sold for around $100'ish when they were on the shelves. I have seen them mint and boxed, unbuilt, for around $800.

If you look at the Lego online shoppe you will see that some items have purchase limits of 3, 5 or maybe 10. This is a good indicator that it is a limited production item and will probably end up going up in value once they are sold out.

Oh, yeah. The girl in the Lego shoppe who I chatted with, quite fit, sort of, but anyway, her plan is to use her mint and boxed Lego collection to pay off her university loans when she finally qualifies. With a $2000 death star and many other high buck items she doesn't think she will have a problem.

I buy a piece a month now, tuck it away.

Airfix kits and model trains much the same.

My dear departed Gran bought me the gold-wheeled version of the Hornby Hogwarts loco (A GWR Castle, if memory serves). I kept all the original boxes & papers, and it's never been run. It sits in the display cabinet. One day, it'll be worth a bit, but it was one of the last things my Gran gave to me, so I doubt I'll sell it unless needs must.

Also have an unmade Revell Saturn V kit from the 1980s run. Box is a bit shitty, but I think the kit itself is still rare.

PFGEN

GCM
If you have the cash and have the space to store it the prices some people will pay are stunning. I do some photography work for a company involved with the Lego market. As a result I have a stack of the stuff. Some needs to remain assembled so one wall of my home studio is filled. The rest is in plastic bags with the original box flattened and stored in the loft. As far as I can see it looks like a reasonable pension plan, particularly as they didn't cost me anything. The stuff that commands the highest prices seems to be the so-called exclusive/hard to find series. Something that has been discontinued and cost a 100 quid is now available on thief bay for over a grand, as long as the box and instruction book are available.

Try a LEGO Death STAR II

cost new $700 or so.

Today if you can get one it be ....

Price: $2,639.99 + $13.49 shipping
That's the one the girly in the shop who told me about the stuff has. I'm going to grab a VW camper bus next month.

These have already gone silly:

Lego VW Beetle.........google it.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&toolid=10001&campid=5336723079&icep_item=291187818303

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&toolid=10001&campid=5336723079&icep_item=301621954637

Basically, anything exotic supercar or F1 is a goer.

Yes, yes, have a larf.

Xmas, 2014, I went to buy the nipper a Lego Technics F1 car at the local Lego shoppe. "Out of stock, check online mate". So I did. I was marked up as an end of line item and reduced by 10%, I didn't have the creditcard handy so I decided to order later, subsequently forgot, a week later I get back to it and they are sold out.

Bugger! I start checking on thiefbay and other online sites and find that the original $125 price has now gone up to $200 where it is available. Unlucky nipper.

A few weeks later I'm walking past the lego shop and pop in to check the new releases for the lads upcoming birthday. I chat to the girl in the shop and mention the car. She tells me that she has been collecting lego for years, doesn't build it, just leaves it mint and boxed. Her prized item being the original Star Wars Death Star which can be worth anything up to a couple of thousand $$.

She explains the whys and wherefores of profiting from Lego to me. The best is to buy the items which commonsense tells you will be collectible even in the future.....at the moment the Batman Tumbler car and the Boba Fett spaceship. Also to consider are the cheaper end of the line such as the 20 quid 'ish items that can easily double in value (100% profit) but still remain cheap to buy for collectors of lesser means.

There were some cars like Ferraris and Lambo's made in the Technics range which seem to have sold for around $100'ish when they were on the shelves. I have seen them mint and boxed, unbuilt, for around $800.

If you look at the Lego online shoppe you will see that some items have purchase limits of 3, 5 or maybe 10. This is a good indicator that it is a limited production item and will probably end up going up in value once they are sold out.

Oh, yeah. The girl in the Lego shoppe who I chatted with, quite fit, sort of, but anyway, her plan is to use her mint and boxed Lego collection to pay off her university loans when she finally qualifies. With a $2000 death star and many other high buck items she doesn't think she will have a problem.

I buy a piece a month now, tuck it away.
This shoppe, is it owned by Geoffrey Chaucer?

If anyone really wants to depress himself, search on ebay for any of the toys you had as a nipper and threw away or shot with your air rifle.

In fairness to @Effendi , he lives on these fair American shores, and "shoppe" is one of those vomit-inducing bastardizations (yes, I know!) of English in use over here. Apparently it makes "shop" seem more (insert adjective here).

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/shoppe
Thank ye goode sire.

It do proper piddle oi off when they use such .........err, [be polite now] quaint, yes that'll do, quaint affected language. An east coast malady, more often than not an attempt to try and create some instant antiquity, history and pedigree.

I did some work for them in Denmark a few years back. Interesting company to work with and when I left they gave me a camper van and one of the architectural pieces (still boxed). If all the above is true I might try and get a few more days work and raid the staff shop.

If anyone really wants to depress himself, search on ebay for any of the toys you had as a nipper and threw away or shot with your air rifle.
Exactly the same with some old '45 records I got for free when my Dads Mess shut down. Semi-rare vinyl with .177 holes in. What a twat!

Did a garage cleanout and found a load of water damaged (labels nearly indecipherable) '45s. One was Wooden Heart by Elvis something or other.

Miner

ADC
Yep, that would be me. I had Star Wars figures coming out of my arse (very painful) when I was a kid. They've been burned, shot, and maimed in various ways (trying to get the battle casualty look). Thousands of pounds (current value) down the drain.

I now have a approximately 150 Star Wars figures, an AT-AT, and a Republic Gunship all boxed, never opened in my attic. And a lot of the figures are exclusives. I started buying them for my kids (before I had any), thinking I'd have a cheap Xmas or two when they were a suitable age to have them. My boys are 5 now and are complaining that they don't have any Star Wars toys (they were going to have them this Xmas coming). I'm now thinking of not giving them the "Exclusive" figures as some have already dramatically gone up in value.

My old man had a hand carved ivory mahjong set from Hong Kong he got in the 50s. My brother and I used the pieces as building blocks and subsequently lost them all.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Mucker of mine has been collecting Lego for years. His elder son must be in the upper years of primary school. Since nipper was big enough to put two bricks together, Mark collected two of everything, one to play with (and yes, Mark would teach him how it went), and one in the attic.

He just hopes his wife never looks in the attic.

I did some work for them in Denmark a few years back. Interesting company to work with and when I left they gave me a camper van and one of the architectural pieces (still boxed). If all the above is true I might try and get a few more days work and raid the staff shop.
Just go online and check. Ebay for Lego Ferrari, technics F1 cars, Death Star. There is even a site, the name of which I forget, that tells you all about defunct Lego and up and coming Lego.

The way I see it: If I can buy a Lego, or two, which is, for example 100.00, then six months later it is no longer produced, or for sale, and I can sell it for 150.00 then that is more than I will get out of a bank, or out of some canny share dealing with all the associated risks. From what I have unearthed thoughtful buying will only result in profits - and if the worst comes to the worst you have xmas presents for the kids and nephews for the next couple of years.

This is the one that started me looking at them:

They were $125.00/$129.00 and now 5 months after they stopped selling them they are averaging around $170.00 - which is around a 30% increase (they initially went up to around $200). Don't pay any attention to the ones advertised in places like Russia, for obvious reasons.

The latest car out there, not sold in the USA, is Lego 42039 - a Le Mans type 24 hr racer.

Last edited:

Latest Threads