Inverter welders

Odd, then, that I had a novice put in a one-sided fillet weld such that I couldn't break the weld, the parent metal bent instead.

Similarly, I've seen welds put in with what were presumably expensive MIGs that are just sitting on the surface.
I have done car plate welding with flux wire and found it didnt have a lot of strength,
never had a problem with steel wire , also a neater weld with mig steel wire
what ever floats your boat I suppose

I have done car plate welding with flux wire and found it didnt have a lot of strength,
never had a problem with steel wire , also a neater weld with mig steel wire
what ever floats your boat I suppose
Bodywork and sheet could well be tricky. A MIG weld is frequently neater, but not necessarily better. Granted, my experience welding is with stick. I've not used MIG and only used flux core wire feed once, but it didn't seem bad.

Bodywork and sheet could well be tricky. A MIG weld is frequently neater, but not necessarily better. Granted, my experience welding is with stick. I've not used MIG and only used flux core wire feed once, but it didn't seem bad.
I used the flux stuff on car plate first, it produced a very untidy weld, I had a
flat bar / round bar fence to repair so I tried it on that it left pits in the weld
and thus no strength, IMHO for anyone new to welding it would be a complete failure

I used the flux stuff on car plate first, it produced a very untidy weld, I had a
flat bar / round bar fence to repair so I tried it on that it left pits in the weld
and thus no strength, IMHO for anyone new to welding it would be a complete failure
I can only offer my contrary experience where a novice (as in first time he'd used any kind of welder) was able to create a one-sided fillet weld stronger than the parent metal.

I can only offer my contrary experience where a novice (as in first time he'd used any kind of welder) was able to create a one-sided fillet weld stronger than the parent metal.
"I've not used MIG and only used flux core wire feed once, but it didn't seem bad." from your post #46
If you have not used a MIG welder you have not used flux core wire
Stop wasting my time

No axe to grind, but I can recommend RTech kit - especially the 180A Mig/MMA.
You get stick and Mig (as well as aluminium with a spool gun).
Had mine for 3 years now and it has done everything I have asked of it with no issues.

"I've not used MIG and only used flux core wire feed once, but it didn't seem bad." from your post #46
If you have not used a MIG welder you have not used flux core wire
Stop wasting my time
What does MIG stand for?

Indeed. So if a welder is designed to work without Inert Gas, it would be odd to refer to it as MIG, no?

No axe to grind, but I can recommend RTech kit - especially the 180A Mig/MMA.
You get stick and Mig (as well as aluminium with a spool gun).
Had mine for 3 years now and it has done everything I have asked of it with no issues.
That's front runner for me at the moment. Double the price of the Sealy but looks quality.

Metal Inert Gas welding.
Not really anything to do with the original subject but I was told by a welding inspector 30 years ago that it stood for manual inert gas. I find that BS3019 uses the same words.

Is this yet another example of changing words over the years just for the sake of it?

If you do go for the 180 amp rtech you will have to change your socket to a 16amp supply like your cooker I think. I only use stuff industrially so don't come across this.
You will be ok using lower Amos but You will trip your electrics out all the time otherwise. Google it.

Not really anything to do with the original subject but I was told by a welding inspector 30 years ago that it stood for manual inert gas. I find that BS3019 uses the same words.

Is this yet another example of changing words over the years just for the sake of it?
Since you can get manual or automated MIG and ‘metal’ differentiates from ‘tungsten’ in TIG, I’d be inclined to think that “manual inert gas” is an error, albeit a pervasive one.

I'm using a Jasic multi process machine in the shop and some very portable ESAB inverter stick machines for the field (off a genny). It's all been good so far, no problems from any of them. I'd buy an ESAB for my personal use purely for the aftersales back up. Pretty pricey compared to the Jasic though.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
SuperWhiteArmy Jobs (Discussion) 0