Inverness & the Highlands

My last pics of the Highlands from a good few years ago...

It was great to drive there on relatively empty roads and just stop in the middle of nowhere and have some food and drink.

A lot of the recommendations have been for places to the south of inverness and are ok as is Dornoch just to the northand Ullapool on the west. But if you take the road to Lairg and continue west then north to Kinlochbervie, perhaps staying overnight at the local hotel, you will be rewarded with the fantastic beach at Oldshoremore just a couple of miles up the road ETA you'll see a couple of people on the beach in the photo........it was busy that day
33171147894_e5996f8d27_b.jpg

Last edited:
The museum has loads donated by WW2 Commandos & is maintained by a couple of volunteers. The West Highland Museum in Fort William is also worth a visit, it has a Commando Room & lots from the Jacobite era.
Thanks. I went before it moved. I haven't been to the Fort William one though.

Arisaig House---- A private/luxury hotel.
Was lucky to get access via a very nice lady owner.

HQ for SOE training .

Nice monument to Czeck/Slovak SOE operatives who trained in the area and some of who were involved in the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich,.

Files/Phots too big to upload.
IMG_20190823_122111333.jpgIMG_20190820_102733550_HDR.jpg

Leaky’s bookshop in Inverness is also worth a wander around if you’ve some time during the day and is just up from the river.

TamH70

MIA
Find a safe place to park and take a photo of the sign for the Slochd Summit. It's a pretty iconic bit of the route between Inverness and Aviemore, it's over 1300 feet up, and I've cycled up the bastard in both directions. It's not the highest road in Scotland but it's fairly up there, if you'll pardon the pun.

On your way up to Inverness you could pull off to visit the Dalwhinnie distillery. Once in Inverness you could head south west on the A82 taking you to loch Ness, there’s the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge further along. Staying on the A82 takes you to fort William for a bite to eat, further still is Glen Coe, take a decent camera. Alternatively down the A82, onto the A887 then A87 takes you through one of the most beautiful drives I have ever done and to Eileen Dornan Castle (of Highlander fame). Stay on the A87 straight to Isle of Skye. If you fancy hopping over to one of the islands, Lewis is well worth it. Give the Uists and Benbecula a miss, it’s bleak.
I'll drink to that - I spent 2 years of my life on Benbecula.

I'll drink to that - I spent 2 years of my life on Benbecula.
I'll drink with you if you can tell me how to pronounce the name of the place........fed up with people laughing everytime I try Ben Bi Kula.....................................................you fecking laughing?

I'll drink with you if you can tell me how to pronounce the name of the place........fed up with people laughing everytime I try Ben Bi Kula.....................................................you fecking laughing?
As far as I know it is properly pronounced Ben Na Folga.

On the way up to Inverness (assuming you go up the A9), you can get brownie points by taking her into the House of Bruar - The "Harrods of the Highlands". Great spot for lunch, and the food hall is worth it on it's own. (Just make sure you have plenty of credit on your card!).
There's a nice walk up through the trees from House of Bruar car park to the Falls of Bruar. Avoid if slippy underfoot

House of Bruar food is very expensive. Just hold on and go to the diner at Tore services, just outside Inverness. Good all-day breakfast. Strathpeffer is a pretty town, but not much there

House of Bruar food is very expensive. Just hold on and go to the diner at Tore services, just outside Inverness. Good all-day breakfast. Strathpeffer is a pretty town, but not much there
Although I think the House of Bruar clothes etc are over priced, we've found the price of their food was not too bad. Er, I hope you're not expecting AsterixTG to hold on, if he's breaking his (lower) neck, between Bruar and Tore, 70 + miles!!

Although I think the House of Bruar clothes etc are over priced, we've found the price of their food was not too bad. Er, I hope you're not expecting AsterixTG to hold on, if he's breaking his (lower) neck, between Bruar and Tore, 70 + miles!!
And you need to go past Inverness to get there

Seriously Wick is not so bad. John O groats and the Orkney Islands to see north of Wick. There is even a ferry to the Orkney Islands at John O Groats. It is a nice enough drive up from Inversnecky.

Latest Threads