Inverness & the Highlands

On the way up to Inverness (assuming you go up the A9), you can get brownie points by taking her into the House of Bruar - The "Harrods of the Highlands". Great spot for lunch, and the food hall is worth it on it's own. (Just make sure you have plenty of credit on your card!).
Agreed. Perhaps the House of BrooHaha is a worthy trade for a few hours traipsing around Fort George in return later on!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
visit Dornoch, the Castle has a superb whisky bar and they make their own gin.
Throw your wife in the Jail, she'll love it. Actually a high end retail outlet.

As to the roads, usually clear. Drove from East coast up to Lochinver this morning. Plenty stags and a few eagles in evidence. No fecking campervans.

kimmi851

Old-Salt
Kincraig Wildlife Park About an hour down the A9 just south of Aviemore, Fort George a magnificent piece of military engineering, Culloden battlefield, a visit to any distillery and a good evening in either the Gellions or Hootenanys pubs
I think Kincraig was the one that locked me in the new composting loos until I used them, even though I didn't want to go at all... they were very proud of them and they still give me nightmares to this day. It was a form of torture no one deserves.

if you head north 20miles or so to the other side of the Black Isle Rogie falls is a nice walk

some good suggestions already and if you're passing and looking for somewhere to stop for lunch etc. Strathpeffer is a small village which was a Spa destination in the Victorian era hence the weirdly high proportion of grand hotels

if you've not been up that way before the drive from Inverness to Ullapool goes through some nice country and should only take an hour or so from inverness.

there is a small museum and art gallery in Inverness town centre but i havent been for a number of years, if you go let me know if they still have the silversmiths bench with all the hand tools laid out

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
Agreed. Perhaps the House of BrooHaha is a worthy trade for a few hours traipsing around Fort George in return later on!
I always find that it works best if we split up - she can look at cashmere, tweed, handbags and soft furnishings, while I make my way to the flyfishing emporium.....

S-mise

Old-Salt
Gille Brighde the restaurant in Lower Diabeg at the very end of the Torridon road would be my destination of choice. They have a few events on over the festivities. Just tap the name into Facebook and message them for details.

It’s an outstanding place when it’s normally open so I can only imagine how good it’ll be on special occasions! The drive out is worth the trip on its own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the way up to Inverness (assuming you go up the A9), you can get brownie points by taking her into the House of Bruar - The "Harrods of the Highlands". Great spot for lunch, and the food hall is worth it on it's own. (Just make sure you have plenty of credit on your card!).
f*** that posh nonsense, take her to the motorgrill at Ballinluig and she'll thank you*

*as long as she likes deep fried bacon and tea that's been stewing for a decade

On your way up to Inverness you could pull off to visit the Dalwhinnie distillery. Once in Inverness you could head south west on the A82 taking you to loch Ness, there’s the Commando Memorial at Spean Bridge further along. Staying on the A82 takes you to fort William for a bite to eat, further still is Glen Coe, take a decent camera. Alternatively down the A82, onto the A887 then A87 takes you through one of the most beautiful drives I have ever done and to Eileen Dornan Castle (of Highlander fame). Stay on the A87 straight to Isle of Skye. If you fancy hopping over to one of the islands, Lewis is well worth it. Give the Uists and Benbecula a miss, it’s bleak.
The Commando Museum has been moved to the front of the Spean Bridge hotel. It used to be in a small building to the side of it. Spean Bridge is a useful place to stop for a bite to eat (and a pint for those travelling by bus).

We're off to Inverness for a few days over the New Year
Two more things to remember. Scotland shuts for 2 days at the beginning of January. It will be dark/twighlight for most of your stay.

ALSO, not sure which way you're heading there, but driving through Glencoe can be spectacular. Just make sure it's
- not raining
- not foggy
- not dark
- not raining

Just get through Fort William quickly. They mostly come out at night. Mostly.

Cheap fuel at the Morrisons before you leave.

Two more things to remember. Scotland shuts for 2 days at the beginning of January. It will be dark/twighlight for most of your stay.
That's cool - no doubt the 1st will be a somewhat relaxing day, we return on the 2nd - but we have the 30th & 31st to fill.

not raining
- not foggy
- not dark
- not raining
That’s never going to happen in Scotland.

The sun came out once, realised it’s mistake and promptly buggered off.

We’ve all missed a golden opportunity to get ourselves in the top lad thread.

Should have directed the OP to Cape Wrath.

if you head north 20miles or so to the other side of the Black Isle Rogie falls is a nice walk
with regards to Rogie falls i also meant to mention that it's a pretty short walk from the car park to the falls so you're not trekking to get there. also good paths so no problem at this time of year when there'll also be plenty of water going down the blackwater

Latest Threads