Inverness man in "fist fight" with large owl

John Mackay, 58, of North Kessock, Inverness-shire, said he was knocked out and left in a pool of blood after the 2ft-high predator swooped and tore a 3in cut in his head.

Minutes earlier, Noel Hill, 50, of Inverness, said he had a fist-fight with the same bird of prey.

Mr Mackay said: “I thought I had been hit on the back of my head by a brick. I didn’t hear a thing, not even the flap of a wing. It was only when I stumbled back on to my feet and I saw the owl perched on top of a van that I then knew what had happened.

“I couldn’t believe how much blood there was. People were asking for more towels. I went into shock straight away. It’s not the kind of thing you expect to happen on a Saturday night.”

Mr Hill said: “It hit me from behind. I never heard it coming and it hit me in the head. It flew up to the Redcliffe Hotel and then flew down at me again. I saw it coming at me for the second time and I had to beat it off with my fists. I did not expect that to happen in the centre of Inverness. I’m just concerned that it could be a child that is attacked.”

I feel sorry for him, "Brown Owl" was always a bit handy like, all the cubs and scouts were shit scared of her:

........she kicked the shit out of the local ACF officers though!
not long ago i was up north and my mate showed me a clipping from a local paper (possibly the ross-shire journal) which had a locally posted ad - "Have you seen this buzzard?" with picture. some blokes pet buzzard (wtf?) had escaped and he was offering a reward for its recapture. i like to believe he was presented with about 20 sacks by various random punters containing bloody thirsty pissed off buzzards.

we dont do much to try and dispel the yokel perceptions
i imagine by "2ft-high predator" they mean wingspan, if not it would've ripped his fucking head off.
No, if its a European Eagle Owl then they really are two feet tall, the wingspan is 5 or 6 feet.
I used to know a man who had one. When hunting they take lambs, cats and small dogs with ease. They are big and they don't take prisoners. Their talons are about the size of your little finger
They wouldn't hesitate to attack a full grown man.

World Owl Trust - Muncaster Castle

Book Reviewer
Heard this on Radio 5 last night. "And now, let's speak to an eagle owl expert. So, what is this bird like."

I found myself shouting at the radio, "Like a fucking eagle owl you stupid bitch." Bone questions R us
holy crap. can you kill a rare bird of prey in self defence?

i also ask because as kids a mate of mine strangled an osprey after it stuck a talon through the fleshy part between his thumb and forefinger
The owls had him outnumbered, there were at least two of them, but, unusual for scottish owls, they didn't exploit the advantage.

The other one was heard to say "I'll hold your stoat!"