Invaldating Insurance

Should people who drive in these conditions against government advice have their insurance invalidated if their journey was not essential???

It winds me up that people needlessly drive in these conditions costing the tax payers a fortune when the authorities have to look after them and our insurance premiums go up when they claim as a result of their own stupidity.

Some policies do.

Do you mean trivial journeys like going to work and such?

When the work is non-essential then yes.

But mainly I mean the idiots who attempt to drive half a mile to the local Co-Op and then drive home again as an example.

No they should not.
If people are incapable of driving in the prevailing conditions tough shite. Plod and the Highways Agency certainly aren't capable of deciding when I can or can't drive due to snow.
A few inches of snow does not constitute a hazards that warrants the government deciding if its safe for me to go to work or not.
I'll decide and if I get it wrong its nobodies fault but my own.

And how would that work then...........................
this government gives such risk averse advice that if this was adopted the country would rapidly come to a total stanstill, no workers would get to power stations so the lights would go out, police and fire fighters would not get on duty so the country would rapidly descend into anarchy, oh and no doctors and nurses would get to work so there would be no medical care for the injured and dying....................................and on and yadda yadda...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
wake me when you have thought this one out.

PCLG said:

But mainly I mean the idiots who attempt to drive half a mile to the local Co-Op and then drive home again as an example.
Personally I would prefer we simply execute that idiots who cannot drive according to the conditions.
That way the rest of could simply go about our business without muppets littering the road.

It would help if people were taught to drive properley in the first instance, I would make it compulsory to have winter tyres and snow chains, had to explain to a women this morning that headlights on would be useful, and using higher gears, would help her out considerably. :roll:

Winter tyres and snow chains? This is the UK not Norway, by the time you got them on it would be time to take them off.

Recently discovered that use of winter tyres between October and March is not strictly a legal requirement in Switzerland.

However, if you are involved in any mishap in snow/icy conditions, and you do not have winter tyres fitted, both the police and insurance companies will consider your vehicle as not fit for the driving conditions and act accordingly - i.e. your fault!

I am very surprised that UK insurance companies have not spotted this legal get-out clause already.

CQMS said:
Winter tyres and snow chains? This is the UK not Norway, by the time you got them on it would be time to take them off.
I agree snow chains are a bit ott, but winter tyres would be a definite benefit due to their better performance at lower temperatures and deeper tread pattern.

CQMS said:
Winter tyres (not studded) are put on at the beginning of the cold season, and swapped for summer tyres in about April. In many parts of the Alps, today's winter tyres are considered equivalent to chains and are more than adequate for dealing with snow, ice and wet roads.

Drove this morning from West Sussex home to Somerset this morning. No problems except lack of lane discipline on the motorways and the fact the A27 in Worthing needed gritting.

I'd argue that improving the standard of driving would be by far the most effective course of action, UK tyres are more than capable of handling 99% of British weather, forcing people to change tyres for the two days a year when it may be necessary is just stupid, not least because they would never wear out, people would be driving around on twenty year old rubber.

How this could be achieved however is anyones guess.

CQMS said:
Our roads are in a shitty enough state as it is, can you imagine what they would look like after snow chains!

Agree that improving driving skills, arguably include skid-pan training in driving lessons, would help a lot.

From experience, I would say the UK has as many days of snow in most winters as the Canton of Geneva - possibly even a couple more - yet it is very rare that things grind to a halt because of snow - even the small towns and villages have the right equipment to keep the roads clear.
Most people, including those who do not head for the high hills at weekends, still fit winter tyres for the season - just in case.

I doubt most drivers even check their air pressures more than once in a blue moon, never mind swapping them over when there's a bit of snow.

PCLG said:

And who, pray, is going to decide that?

Another damn quango?

And all for a few poxy days a year!!

Just what we need really, another excuse for Plod to dish out fixed penalties and points on your licence. And who has any right to say whether not not a journey is 'essential' - a slightly subjective matter. I don't think it's essential for my local plod to drive around in BMW X5's wearing sunshades in mid December but the fcukers still do it.

Why don't we just impose martial law when it snows and shoot anyone without a valid pass.....?

CQMS said:
I'd argue that improving the standard of driving would be by far the most effective course of action, UK tyres are more than capable of handling 99% of British weather, forcing people to change tyres for the two days a year when it may be necessary is just stupid, not least because they would never wear out, people would be driving around on twenty year old rubber.

How this could be achieved however is anyones guess.
While agreeing with this completely, I saw far too many high-performance cars with foot-wide tyres being unable to move on slush a quarter-inch thick. Winter tyres would have completely removed the difficulty, I think. Could someone enlighten me as to whether there would be any issues with fitting deep-tread tyres on the average hatchback?

Oh, and by the way, all the beer they can drink to the man who brings me the head of the f*ckwit who allowed councils to install full-width road-humps. I was delayed for an hour by people who didn't understand the concept of "taking a run-up" at about ten mph for about ten yards in order to get over them. How the hell would an ambulance get through when there are a dozen cars in front, all of which are incapable of driving effectively?

And don't get me started on the b1tch who was sliding around in her Chelsea Tractor "because I feel safer in it" who said "what's that?" when I suggested she might get further in low ratio...