Intrusive Privacy Controls

I suppose in the past few weeks we've all become familiar with these privacy control warnings that pop up every time you click onto a website. They're everywhere. Presumably it's some kind of compliance thing arising from recent changes in legislation.

I get continued warnings from the same sites, where I have already signified my preferences by clicking/unclicking as required. I can only think that they are, themselves, cookie controlled and will reappear if you clean out your cookie cache. They are seriously pissing me off. Navigating a website is effectively disabled unless and until you respond.

Is this going to continue indefinitely? Anyone know anything about them or understand the process?

I suppose in the past few weeks we've all become familiar with these privacy control warnings that pop up every time you click onto a website. They're everywhere. Presumably it's some kind of compliance thing arising from recent changes in legislation.

I get continued warnings from the same sites, where I have already signified my preferences by clicking/unclicking as required. I can only think that they are, themselves, cookie controlled and will reappear if you clean out your cookie cache. They are seriously pissing me off. Navigating a website is effectively disabled unless and until you respond.

Is this going to continue indefinitely? Anyone know anything about them or understand the process?
It is not in the sites' interests to allow you to disengage from their data gathering, therefore the process to opt out will continue to be obscure, tedious, irritating and will require repeating.

Agreement to all (unread) terms and permissions, however, is but a simple click away.

It's all to do with GDPR, and hence all the EU's fault

Have a whinge about it on the Brexit thread or talk to the organ grinder Angela Merkel to get it changed

Covert data harvesting is probably a malign thing, on balance, especially so if it is undertaken without the knowledge or understanding of those targeted.

I can quite see that there is a need for regulation.

Unfortunately the 'solution' seems incomplete and inflexible. For the websites whose primary role is to sell or promote goods or services or where access to them requires a financial subscription (newspaper paywalls etc), the restrictions should be greater than on those who are providing a 'free' service and who might rely on data harvesting as their primary income source. Nevertheless, even the latter should be required to fully appraise users of what they might be signing up to by using the 'free' service.

The present situation seems to me to be a little 'one size fits all'.

If you download something like "C Cleaner" you can keep the cookies for the sites you view regular
and they will not be cleared when you do a "clean out"
IE I have Google on the saved list then it doesn't give me a "review" every time I open Google