Introvert in the Army

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by ScouserSte, Jan 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, I'm pre-empting getting the piss taken out of me for this.

Basically been thinking about joining, think I'd make a good soldier and all that but I know the social side of the Army is a lot of banter and being one of the lads. That's fine, I can do that.

Thing is I know I'm likely to tire quickly of it constantly, I honestly do need some space to myself and to be alone a bit or I just get pissed off. I'm not antisocial or an arsehole in any way but I am fairly "quiet" I guess.

Just don't want to drop my current job only to find I'll be tolerating my way through every day because I really do want to serve the country and I think I'd enjoy everything else about being a soldier.

Can any of you see this being an issue? Is it as "full on" as I think?
  2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

FFS are you an only child or something,
  3. Yes, or atleast I was until a year ago when my little brother was born (I am 19)
  4. You'll be fine. Just get on with it.
  5. After basic and phase 2 training, you'll get to your unit and with any luck get your own room with a lockable door and everything. It's not all like Bad lads Army
  6. Fucking grow some you wuss,get in the army and join in with it you whining fuck.
    Must plane that fence,sick of splinters.
  7. You can't be the only one. To be honest I bet most of the people you work with will want a break from you after a while as well - as long as you're not seen as not mucking in, you don't have to spend your entire life within six feet of another squaddie.
  8. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Have you never been away from home, or camping with your mates ect cos thats what it's like in the block, but it's not a problem finding your own space, there always somewhere to go and be on your own,read,study, ect You will probably find it's great being with a group of like minded people,some of whom will probably become the best friends of your life.

When I was 19 I had been in for almost four years and was serving in North Africa
  9. Yes I've been camping about 50 times and I've been a crew member of a tallship sailing through the North Sea for 2 weeks.
  10. Dont worry about it bud, with that scouse accent no fecker will want to come near you anyway laaaaaaaa!
  11. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

It's a lot crappier on a tall ship than in the block stop getting your knickers in a twist, they can't legally kill you. so give it your best shot and enjoy the pain,
  12. orr, hay, cum ed,, dip your toe in the stab pool first,
  13. SS - I don't envisage you getting any 'me' time during any phase of basic. When you pass out and are at your unit, you will get time alone (most of the time). But how will you manage on op tours when you are cheek by jowl with your muckers, when the banter is non stop, but is necessary to keep you sane and focused. You will just have to learn to adapt and not become an outsider/loner.
  14. This can be done with some focussed training. Next time you bring yer scallyslag home to pork her, invite yer wee brother in to watch. Once you can cope with that then ask yer ma and da in to watch. Pretty soon you will not notice they are there and you will realise that whatever you do within yer own space is ok and other people will not find yer actions intimidating nor will they intimidate you.
    Try it, it should work.
  15. I would definitly characterise myself as being introverted - but have been in now for 17 years. I would agree that the social interaction side can be a bit tiresome at times (a quote from myself 2 years in "why the f**k do I have to organise a party? I joined the army not avon?"), but it does work to bond you with your mates.
    You can always find places to be alone - but I would not do overdo it if I were you. The best times I have had were when I was with a bunch of mates laughing and joking (usually at me!). You do not have to be the life of the party - but just be willing to join in and have a laugh. If you have been in the very tight confines of a tall ship (did you find the golden rivet by the way?) you will have no problems with basic training.
    Even today in the mess, I was not the golden conversationalist - but enjoyed sitting back and enjoying the company whilst having a monster fry up for brunch.
    Go for it - whilst the army is not for every one, if you don't it will be a decision that you will regret for the rest of your life.