Introduction of a new FNH Machine Gun: the Evolys

This week FNH, which already provides LMGs, MMGs and HMGs to most NATO nations as well as many others has introduced it latest "ultralight" MG, the Evolys, available in 5.56 (weight 5.5 kg) and 7.62 ,(weight 6.2 kg).

This week FNH, which already provides LMGs, MMGs and HMGs to most NATO nations as well as many others has introduced it latest "ultralight" MG, the Evolys, available in 5.56 (weight 5.5 kg) and 7.62 ,(weight 6.2 kg).

Is it any easier to clean after a few belts or buckets

Dread

LE

Nice...

...now be prepared to answer 863 utterly moronic questions from the site's resident weapons mong 'Maalox'.

A couple of pictures of the Evolys. No idea about the cleaning.

Video below (in English)

1620549471175.png

1620549488966.png

1620549562150.png

Realistically short area coverage aka over watch for defensive and offensive. Watch with interest to see if it supersedes the minime

This cant be true , the 5.56 doesn't have enough power to drop a mouse at 100m ,it has to be 7.62x51 or nothing.

With it being available in 7.62, might it be a viable replacement/update for the venerable gimpy? Or am I dreaming about the funds being available for such a move? Genuine question, not being a resident weapons expert, and having been 'out' for an awfully long time now.. (L1A1 SLR was my p/weapon)

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
With it being available in 7.62, might it be a viable replacement/update for the venerable gimpy? Or am I dreaming about the funds being available for such a move? Genuine question, not being a resident weapons expert, and having been 'out' for an awfully long time now.. (L1A1 SLR was my p/weapon)
The thing with the jimpy is that it’s used across the 3 services in all sorts of roles.

Replacing it completely would require buy in from all 3 services.

We have thoroughly bought in to the GPMG concept and have the training, spares, supply chain etc. etc. in place to support having lots and lots of them.

This FN thing looks the nuts as an infantry weapon, but not so much mounted to a ship or helicopter.

The thing with the jimpy is that it’s used across the 3 services in all sorts of roles.

We have thoroughly bought in to the GPMG concept and have the training, spares, supply chain etc. etc. in place to support having lots and lots of them.

This FN thing looks the nuts as an infantry weapon, but not so much mounted to a ship or helicopter.

Good point, I hadn't thought of it in a fixed-fire role on a ship or chopper.. All three services would be a rather large bill, unless they did a trial for infantry, and relegated the gimpy to just the fixed-fire role in vehicles, etc?

EDIT: I'm forgetting though, that the training would still have to be put in place, and manpower (am I still allowed to say that?!) to facilitate things like that isn't anywhere near as prolific as it was in the 70's/80's..

That was my first thought, successor to the minimi

About time, the Minimi development started 40 years ago! Oddly enough in 7.62, before they scaled it down to match the trend of the era. And then later scaled it back up, to match the trend of the era.

Last edited:

TamH70

MIA
Crowded marketplace for 5.56mm and 7.62mm NATO LMGs. FN are brave bringing this out into the public with no sign yet that anyone's interested in getting it for their armies.

If the gats from this company:

can't get adopted, and from all reports, they're really good bits of kit, FN might struggle.

Any replacement for the GPMG is going to require a significant step forward. This could be target effect or improved logistics. The weight of the weapon system is of little consideration as the GPMG is already man portable. Saving a few pounds here and there would not be considered cost effective.

They should be looking more at developing the ammo than the firing system, until then the GPMG is here to stay until man portable railguns are introduced.

Now I’ve said that the cucking funts will buy shed loads.

gafkiwi

War Hero

We replaced our section level 5.56mm Minimi with the 7.62 version but still retain the MAG-58 for platoon, DFSW and vehicle based applications. In the LMG/section role the 7.62 Minimi is very good out to the 6-800m mark and is a reasonable carry even with the belt bag and NVE but sometimes you require the effect only the MAG can produce past that point. We also have a very good 7.62mm DMW/DMR rifle that compliments them both.
I can see systems like the SIG NGSW-AR in 6.8mm getting some traction especially with the on going US programs but also that they are future proofed being designed to be able to be used across a variety of calibers and have other options with .338NM to get the range and lethality required.

CC_TA

LE
Any replacement for the GPMG is going to require a significant step forward. This could be target effect or improved logistics. The weight of the weapon system is of little consideration as the GPMG is already man portable. Saving a few pounds here and there would not be considered cost effective.

They should be looking more at developing the ammo than the firing system, until then the GPMG is here to stay until man portable railguns are introduced.

Now I’ve said that the cucking funts will buy shed loads.

Light GPMG.jpg
Light GPMG2.jpg

2009 light version. Titanium body, fluted barrel, Picatinny rails on feed mech and on the gas cylinder, also has an option of folding butt and a slightly shorter barrel.

2.5kg weight saving but that which will only mean you'll get 3 kg extra ammo to carry. :)

...there will be functioning anomalies when you lob it one of the overpriced MOD purchased mounts that already kills the functioning by taking away some of the recoil.