introducing some weight to running

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by speedybham, Feb 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I want to introduce some weight to my training, not in my gut but in a daysack or similar.

I've been training for the last 6 months and hope to rejoin later this year. I've been running a few 3mile runs and a couple at 10 mile each week.

i've got bergen from before but it's a bit overkill for 15kg and it would look like i have just returned from patroling in NI if i was to go running with it on my usual urban route and i might look abit out of place. Although i have gota 30L daysack somewhere, which might be better suited. Or should i really try to get use to the begen again, being alot bigger size wise.

Also, what is best to carry as a 'load' without it bobbing up and down on my back too much, i was always told to put the weight towards the top??

2. Ive always been told weight at the bottom so it sits more on the hips, i.e the belt, this way it also stops trying to pull you over and is better for your back.
    I have a daysack i've had for years band just use normal dumbell weights padded out with a few towels so it doesnt bounce up and down.
    So far so good just keep on eye on the stitching

3. I would concur.

However I would not advocate running with any large degree of weight at all.

In my irresponsible days of 'yoof' I did this along the side of the Kelvin, Clyde walkway... sometimes in the standard Ron Hills and trainers, other times in boots.

Then I realised you only get one set of knees.

Keep up the running, maybe introduce interval/fartlek work - and in addition go for hikes/tabs and use this for weight carrying.

4. arr... the knees, i too realised and hope i caught it in time. Since I started training again i ditched all previous footwear and got a new pair of nike running trainers (hi tec shaddows not required) and worked at the gym to build up my quads to take the pressure of my knees, seems to be workin too.

5. Try carrying dumbells in your hands. It not only adds a bit of weight, it also gives your upper body a good seeing to. Start at 1 or 2 Kg and work up.

6. Personally I would start by doing walks or short hikes with weight added to a rucksack, it will give you an idea of how your body and you need to adjust. Dont let your ego get in the way either, if you walk, your carrying your body weight, by adding even 5kg, your changing your centre of gravity and supporting a sudden increase in weight that wasnt there.

Do a few walks with the same weight, then when your happy with it, start introducing short jogs into the walk. After a while start adding weight, id say add no more than 2.5kg each time, and make sure your comfortable with the weight.

Btw, this is just advice based on how I have gone about it during my training prior to my application going in, so it aint gospel!!