Intresting latin phrases

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by 5.56mm, Oct 17, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. has anyone got any intresting latin phrases/quotes?

edited for my mongish spelling

2. are you in the remedial spelling class and your teacher has suggested studying Latin to help?

3. Spanish_Dave

Spanish_Dave LE Good Egg (charities)

4. They're not allowed to do that now. Squid pro row. Dozey Bint where are you?

5. non illegitimi carborendum - don't let the bas...ds grind you down!

6. Semper in faecemus solum, Sole in profundum variat. The Mushroom family motto, 'Always in the sh1t, only the depth varies.'

7. Anusi Mundi - Arrse of the world

Fitue Mundum - Make love to everyone/fusk the World

8. “Solve lora infernis!” : Unleash hell!
    “Perge cornu canere - sclopetum repleo” : Keep honking - I’m reloading.
    “Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus!” : You want a part of me? Bring it on!
    “Age catamite - fac mihi hunc diem felicissimum” : Go ahead, punk - make my day.
    And for the party after a hard day at the ramparts:
    “Cervesia pota, pulchritudo cernitur” : Beauty is in the eye of the beer-holder.
    “Haec tabula vinorum grandia pollicetur cuicumque sit in animo bibere ex ampulla liquoris qui sapit uvas et solvit ferruginem et stat tanti quanti lectus novis” : This is indeed a very impressive wine list, if you’re in the mood for a bottle of grape-flavoured rust remover that costs as much as a new sofa.
    “Certamen inter mammosas tunicis madefactis vestitas!” : Wet T-shirt contest!
    “Vin’ aspicere collectum gladiorum meum?” : Want to see my sword collection?
    And for the morning after:
    “Quomodo una nocte facta tam turpis es?” : How did you get so ugly overnight?

9. Slightly off topic, but a bit interesting...

'V' was pronounced much like 'W' in classical Latin so Julius Caesar's famous phrase 'Veni, vidi, vici' (I came, I saw, I conquered) would actually have sounded something like 'wenee, widee, weekee' which sounds somewhat less heoric and warry :p

10. w35 - less warry to us of course but in a time when boys were for love and women for children it may have been extremely macho!

11. And how about when the Emperor wanted to release Rodger.....Rupert and Rick..... :cool:

12. Veni, Vidi, Vici: I came, I saw, I conquered

Veni, Vinum, Vomui: I came, I drank, I threw up.

Canis meus id comedit : My dog ate it.

Fac ut gaudeam : Make my day.

O! Plus! Perge! Aio! Hui! Hem! : Oh! More! Go on! Yes! Ooh! Ummm!

Spero nos familiares mansuros : I hope we'll still be friends.

Mellita, domi adsum : Honey, I'm home.

Ventis secundis, tene cursum : Go with the flow.

Totum dependeat : Let it all hang out.

Estne volumen in toga, an solum tibi libet me videre? : Is that a scroll in
    your toga, or are you just happy to see me?

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari? : How much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

Vescere bracis meis : Eat my shorts.

Sic faciunt omnes : Everyone is doing it.

Fac ut vivas : Get a life.

13. Except that what actually happened is when Caesar arrived in Britain and said 'veni, vidi, vici', the Britons, because of this curious habit of Romans of pronouncing their Vs as Ws, thought he was calling them 'weeny, weedy and weaky', and so lost heart and went home. Giving Caesar the victory.

Not, of course, that the Roman Invasion was a Bad Thing, as the Britons were only natives at the time.

For more interesting Latin tags, try Henry Beard's "Latin For All Occasions". (Henri Barbati "Linguam Latinam Pro Omnibus Occasionibus").

sm.

14. I'm very rusty in Latin, I was never any good at school (I am only 19 so I don't have much excuse).

Anyway here's a (mild) pun for you a Rowums original;

Mens miserum in corpore pulchro.

[There's only one way I'll find out if I got it right, and that's if one of these swotts can translate it back. :D ]