Interview with rifles.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by SebaSmith, Jun 28, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey guys i'm going down to Winchestire soon for and interview with the Rifles, they are one of the three i am interested in seeking commision with. I was wondering if any one else has done this and can give any hints?
    I already kind of know the kist of what will go on, i.e regimental history, current affairs, why rifles? why officer? why army? etc. But is there anything else i should know that might throw a spanner in the works? I have completed my briefing and know that untill i do my main board i won't go on a familirisation day.

Cheers guys

2. Your writing and language seems appaling so I'd work on that for a start its Winchester, not whatever abortion you managed to spell. Major Day is a very nice gentleman and will not make too demanding an interview or he didn't in my case it was almost an informal chat with a break for lunch in the mess. If I were you I'd know where each battalion was i.e 1st Chepstow, etc and also what deployments i.e. 2,3,4 Afghan 1 just back Afghan and 5 just finished Iraq.

Good luck
  3. 3 arent in Afghan till sept mate and its only 2 companys from 4 all of 2 are there though.
  4. Thanks for all the advice guys, I don't see why people are so **** over simple spelling mistakes on a forum. Obviously my spelling online is not the same as it would be in a written exam.

5. Standards, dear boy, standards! :p

6. Ha well played sir, though just at a glance I could tell him he has a spelling mistake in his reply :thumright: Though I'm not **** enough to call him up on it and claim his English is "appalling".

EDIT - This isn't intended to be rude, but as banter!
  7. In my experience, you're more likely to be treated in a friendly way and receive helpful answers if you pay people the simple respect of well-composed posts written in good English. A little humility wouldn't go amiss, either... :roll:
  8. Clearly you haven't spent much time in 'The NAAFI bar' then LOL 8O :p
  9. My original post was well constructed with very few errors in it. I count one spelling mistake, one typing error, where i had hit K instead of J, and two grammatical errrors where I didn't use a capital "I". And as a new user to the forum what am I greated with other then someone instead of being helpful slating my grasp of the English language! Which for someone who has mild dyslexia i think is pretty good.

And this isn't the first case of this either, I looked over the board a few times before posting and saw many cases of it. So to me it appears to be a lot of people who have inferiority complexes, who instead of trying to help people would rather nit pick on people sort comings.

As for humility i thanked all the people who have given helpful advice to me and have never once acted in and arrogant manner. Though i don't see why i should roll over and be mocked/taken shots at by people who are far from humble!

EDIT - Sorry been a long, hot day already. And i think i came of as an arrogant, pretentious fool :thumleft:
  10. Seba....mate; I've been where you are fairly recently as a newbie on here, as have many others before. Don't make the mistake many have made and try to wring every last drop out of an argument. Even if you are right/ believe you are right, you will ALWAYS get some smart-arse playing the pedant or just trying to 'wah' you. Some will be quite right to do so and you will have to wind your neck in and some will... well, to quote blazing saddles: "You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons! :wink:
  11. Yer you're right, so i apologise for getting upity. No foul no harm :)
  12. He's not going to give you the third degree on the Rifles. Just questions along the lines of why do you want to join the Rifles, etc. Also, he'll go over your background. Essentially he'll be introducing you to the regiment, and at the end he'll discuss a fam visit.

I would check out the Gurkha museum while your down there too. It's worth a visit.

13. Yer i recently met him, cracking guy to be honest and had top notch banter. It was rather informal and it gave me a slight insight into the regiment. Also looked around the two museums, seeing all those VC's really was an amazing experience.