Interview tonight!

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by BrunoNoMedals, Oct 29, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

My local unit finally got back to me yesterday to ask if I could attend the next briefing/interview session... tonight! No biggy, I've got all my paperwork ready (qualifications, NI#, NHS#, Passport, Driving License - albeit sans counterpart), but I need one particular bit of advice: What do I wear?

I've heard that it's not totally formal a la your usual job interview, so a suit isn't necessary, but I'm going for a commission and want to make an impression. I'm thinking suit trousers, shirt, tie and (since it's Pearl Harbour in the West Country at the moment) my rather smart wooly jumper :D

Will that do, or is it too much or too little?

Any other advice would be appreciated - it's a MI unit.

Cheers all,

BNM

2. I would go for suit and clutch a filofax. Look smart and important. Can always say that you are off out afterwards. Shows you made an effort and would make a better impression than turning up in jeans and a T shirt.

3. shirt, tie & trousers will do fine :salut:

4. If you have to ask that then i would give up on joining, how bone are you.

5. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

What a kind and useful person you are. My apologies for not knowing absolutely everything beforehand, and for having the barefaced cheek to ask for clarification from those with a better knowledge than I. Obviously the TA is only for people like you who a fully conversant in every aspect of the application process.

As I said in original post, I'd previously heard that the usual interview attire wasn't necessary. Normally I wouldn't think twice about what to wear to an interview, but when I start hearing contradictory advice then I don't think asking for extra opinions is out of place. This is an internet forum for military discussions, and this particular forum is for advice on joining the TA. That's what I'm after. Now get back in your box and consider how unfulfilling your own life must be before commenting on mine, you little tit.

Clarabelle, Taff, thank you very much. Just as I expected, and what I needed to know :)

6. For a job interview/first impression I always wear a suit. OTT? Maybe but what harm can that do? Whereas too casual is more likely to be a deal killer.

It is easy to make an excuse for overdress, not true for a perceived lack of effort.

7. To a 1980's fancy dress party, presumably.

8. mate just turn up lokking smart &tidy if you wanna wear a suit do it if not shirt &tie smart but casual . good luck rupert

9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

To be honest you could turn up in a coco the clown outfit complete with red nose and large boots, and they are not likely to turn you away. The TA is not exactly overwhelmed by potential officer applicants.

As a PO, smart is better than scruffy, but this is an initial chat so don't get too fussed about it.

Trenchcoat, filofax and bottle of vintage beajolais nouveau definately not required.

10. Ha ha , make that man a Major!

11. A suit and tie with shoes highly polished shoes (and co-ordinating to the suit, black suit black shoes). FFS wear a poppy! You are going for a commission show them that you have good personal admin and can set your men a good example.

Edited to add: I'm sure you don't need any luck so "Break a leg".