Interview tomorrow!!

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by Deadly_Homer, Nov 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok so I have my interview tomorrow and i want to join the Infantry, but i'm quite nervous about if i forget what to say and make myself look like a complete arrse. So if anyone has any tips or hints could you please let me know?

2. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

1. Plan ahead, like asking this question more than 24 hours in advance! :lol: OK, we're a bit late for that, but ....

2. Seriously, be yourself [smartly turned out, washed, shaved, clean shirt, shoes etc.of course]. Don't flannel or bull***t - they'll probably notice! If you don't know an answer, or have difficulty in expressing it, say so.

3. Remember they want to hear what you have to say - they are your captive audience. Be clear, concise and [hopefully] correct.

4. Ignore comparison with any other interviewees. The smooth-looking confident b*****d in the waiting room may have a string of convictions, or farts under pressure! :wink:

Good luck.
  3. Cheers for the advice BS. One more thing, when he asks what regiment i want to join (Rifles), what could i say about it apart from that i want to join a light infantry regiment. Also the Rifles have no history so i coudn't say anything like that either.

4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

I think that you'll find that the RIFLES have a long and glorious history. At least their forebears did.
  5. blue-sophist

Which takes us back to plan ahead, young Homer!! Some time tonight webbing the answers to the inevitable question "Why do you want to join the .....".

Being "blue ... " I can offer no help here on detail. However, when I was asked that question back in 19**, all I could say was, "I don't know, Sir. It's just all I have ever wanted to do." - which was true, and worked for me!
  6. Ok thanks for the help, will plan something now 8)

7. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

You could do worse than by starting here.

As BS said, be smart, be yourself, and be honest. If you don't know the answer say so, and move the interview on. Have some idea of what you want to get out of the army, but more importantly some idea of what you can give.
  8. Know a bit about the history of the regiment you want to join. Cap badge, who was amalgamated to make them, motto, etc..
    Have answers to the questions that you will obviously be asked: Why the army? why the rifles? tell me a bit about yourself.
    Remember to call people by their ranks, ie sir for your interviewer.

To be honest, so long as you come across fairly keen and don't say "To kill" when he asks why you want to join, you'll be fine.
  9. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
    Try and think of a good reason why the Rifles apeal to you over other regiments and find out about their history ie which regiments have been amalgamated to form them and what kind of regimets they were. Anything to show you have made a bit of an effort. Might not be a good idea to say you have been researching arrse though.
  10. My advice mate is have a good anwser for the "why do you want to join", I can't remember what I said as I was suprised that they even asked that. Its a test of maturity and state of mind, I recently asked a 17 yr old lad why he wanted to join the TA, he said "erm I dunno ?" Believe me it won't go down well.

Second bit of advice is if you

a. Really want the infantry and nothing else and
    b. Really want the Rifles
    c. GIven both the above serious thought, considered other regt/corps and have decided its digging holes, bayonet charges and marching really really fast for you then

If you do well on the aptitude tests they might try and get you to join a corps or if they are over subscribed for the Rifles/LI/RGJ/DDLI/RGBWLI etc or there are massive holes in other regts, they will try their level best to change your mind. On my one there was a shortfall of guardsmen and everyone was asked if they fancied the guards. For a young lad it can be very daunting to tell a old and crusty Sergeant to wind his neck in.

Last thing is good luck, I'm sure you won't be disappointed
  11. Cheers for the info and advice lads, will post back tomorrow and say how it went :)

12. Good luck - in joining the Infantry you are choosing to join a band of brothers second to none. You won't earn tons of cash while you are serving, but, with a bit of luck you will end up with a lifetime of experience and memories. Expect to have shite times on occasion, but you will always be able to hold your head high when you leave.
  13. Well i've had my first interview and it was really simple. I wasn't even asked why I wanted to join or what I could give the army, i was just asked about family life, hobbies, interests etc. And I have 3 choices of regiments which aren't too far away. They are the Parachute regiment, the Rifles and the Scots Guard. I am now considering the Paras but I will think about it. Any advice about these regiments? Good points and bad?
    I was also told that I had a choice of going to the ADSC in Edinburgh before or after christmas, it would probably be best to go before christmas just to get it out of the way.

14. blue-sophist

Surprised by the shallow questions - are you going the Rupert route, or planning on working for a living? Hope you weren't too honest about hobbies and interests!

All 3 have substantial merit and reputation - consider the following on one side of the paper:

1. Jumping out of serviceable aircraft is both brave and stupid, but wearing a beret all the time saves money on posh hats.
    2. Rifles have [had?] very nice uniforms and considerable style [if you ignore Sharpe]. You do have to march quickly, though.
    3. SG [my great-grandpa's Regt] have a lot of very nice and expensive uniforms, all of which have to be kept spotless. Are you good at standing still for hours?

That dribble apart, thanks for checking back in :wink: . What's the next stage [ADSC means nothing to me]?
  15. Hi DH

Go Para's mate. A professional unit.