Interview tips

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by mark3536, Feb 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Evening.

I'm shortly leaving the Army and pleased to say i have an interview for a job this Tuesday. Part of the interview requires myself to give a 5 min presentation on how i would go about organising an event for over 150 people and what i would take into consideration.

No Powerpoint is allowed, so i assume they want the creative side to come out. I have afew idea's but i thought i would ask for other's opinion as i know the tenticles of ARRSE go far and wide.

Any idea's or suggestions would be gratfully recieved.

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Just bear in mind that 5mins is a very short space of time in which to set out your stall.
  3. 5 mins is really not enough, normally i would use the first 5 to get them interested. Try to use the 7 Q's if you can.
  4. Many thanks for the replies so far. I realise 5 mins is not nearly long enough! Although i can't use Powerpoint i could stand up and tell them what i want them to hear, does anyone know of any other unique ways to get the message across? something that would perhaps stand out?
  5. They want to see the following:

1. Can you identify the key points that will be crucial to the success of the event.
    2. Can you put a brief plan to them which incorporates the key points and which will be understood by them and the people who will do the work under your supervision.
    3. Can you communicate the plan clearly and answer questions on it without bluffing (ie stick to the points)
    4. How are your presentation skills, do you come across as confident (without being over confident), clear, concise, capable and personable
    5. Can you think on your feet and can you accept criticism.

Remember what the army taught you and apply the three P's.
    Remember what the army taught you about training people, but don't fall into the old cpl routine of: "Hin my 'and gennlemen I 'as an 'and grenade. Points to note.........", type of presentation.

Avoid mannerisms and be calm, confident, clear and concise.
  6. A) Keep your hands out of your pockets, but don't get too animated with your hands and arms. It's distracting.

B) Be enthusiastic. Nothing gets a group bored quicker than a speaker who isn't interested in the subject matter.

C) Sort our your voice procedure. Tone, pitch, volume pause for effect etc. If you are a nasal monotone this is nearly as bad as point B).

5 minutes sounds like a walk in the park. It 'aint, it's very difficult.

Good luck.
  7. Kepp it SIMPLE cannot emphasise this enough, speak to them as though you were explaining it to a 5 year old.
  8. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

The only real advice I can give is RTFQ/KISS. i.e. Read and Understand your brief, and keep your proposals simple.

State what your objective is:

State how you will achieve it:

State what resources you will need - be itbudget, people, equipment, or special facilities:

State who will be responsible for achieving what in given timescales:

Ask for Questions.

Five steps, roughly a minute on each give or take.

Do not over-run on steps 1-4. If step 5 runs over, it'll be the interviewer's fault - but try to keep him/her to time.

Work everything through by using a scenario that you're familiar with - for example a Mess Summer/Xmas Ball.