Interview tips/run time advice?

GRENguy

Swinger
Basically have my British Army interview on the 7th of April, and am going for the gren guards (second choice paras) and am wondering if anyone has any last minute advice from experience as such? Also, onto the assessment side of things,my 1.5 mile run time is 9:20 and that's with serious incline, just wanted to know what the terrain is like at pirbright? Cheers boys. (& gals)

Basically have my British Army interview on the 7th of April, and am going for the gren guards (second choice paras) and am wondering if anyone has any last minute advice from experience as such? Also, onto the assessment side of things,my 1.5 mile run time is 9:20 and that's with serious incline, just wanted to know what the terrain is like at pirbright? Cheers boys. (& gals)
Unless they've changed the route Pirbright is nice and flat.

GRENguy

Swinger
Cheers mate :)

There is a short, relatively steep incline midway, on one of the routes I recall. But it's a mere blip and not worth worrying about, as you make up any time lost by running back down it.

There is a short, relatively steep incline midway, on one of the routes I recall. But it's a mere blip and not worth worrying about, as you make up any time lost by running back down it.
Only if they go out towards the ranges or back area, which I can't see them doing for selection.

That's not too bad of a 1.5mile run time, considering you haven't started training yet. I imagine you will shave a good few seconds off it by the time you get a few weeks into training.

Good luck and enjoy it.

Here is a series shown a few years ago, about the Guards, on public duties in London. All the other episodes are available too.

So, when the recruiting officer asks "Why do you want to join the Grenadier Guards?" you can find a load of reasons here.

Good luck.

Here is a series shown a few years ago, about the Guards, on public duties in London. All the other episodes are available too.

So, when the recruiting officer asks "Why do you want to join the Grenadier Guards?" you can find a load of reasons here not to!!!

Good luck.[/QUOTE

Thomps8

Crow
Did my selection in November at Pirbright. It's all flat apart from a slight and I mean very slight incline about 400m in. Only thing you'll need to look out for is the tight turns as you come back into the base grounds it's self at the bottom especially if it's been raining. Apart from that with a 9:20 1.5mile time with "
Serious incline" you should easily do sub 9:00.

And make sure you tripple knot your laces, cos if they come undone you best be prepared to run bare foot, if you stop for anything you fail.

With regards to interview dress smart and remember it's a job interview. Be confident and honest and know everything about your chosen Corps etc. Good luck you'll be fine :)

Last edited:
With regard to interview dress smart and remember it's and job interview. Be confident and honest and know everything about your chose Corps etc. Good luck you'll be fine :)
And don't let da man fob you off wid some otha mob. Tell im ya wannabe a souljah in da Guards, innit, bruv. Tell im ya want one o dem big bearskinz, an da red tunic.

Peace, out.

GRENguy

Swinger
Cheers fella :)

As for your second choice of the Parachute Regt, there is a series called Para Platoon, about recruits going thru training, (but not their jumps) also available on you.tube.

As for your second choice of the Parachute Regt, there is a series called Para Platoon, about recruits going thru training, (but not their jumps) also available on you.tube.
He can't have Para as second choice, if he fails for Guards he can't go Para, but if he went Para first and failed he could go Guards.

He can't have Para as second choice, if he fails for Guards he can't go Para, but if he went Para first and failed he could go Guards.
Depends on why he fails for Guards.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

True. He may be an ugly, scruffy individual, and they take a look and say "We can't possible have that stood outside Buck House. WTF will the pretty tourists think of him? They see that tramp in a bearskin, it will seriously impact the rest of our chances of getting a shag."

GRENguy

Swinger
Well thank **** i'm not that ugly right?

Only if they go out towards the ranges or back area, which I can't see them doing for selection.
They do, they go along the road alongside the parade square, right past RHQ, left uphill and turn around at the wire gate back down. No great incline, but uphill nonetheless

Latest Threads