Interview tips? Job interview Friday.

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by spike7451, Jun 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Hi chaps,
    As some of you know,I lost my job in March & currently emplyed as a Government Artist (I draw the dole)
    Last week I was offered a job which was advertised as 'tired of call center' & I expected it to be a small office doing marketing.
    It turned out to be a door to door sales person,selling Talk Talk & was paid on commission only.After reviewing my options I turned it down.The main reason was financial.
    Anyway,I hit the job shops yesterday,one of the jobs I applied for was Regency Carpet factory in Balloo,(Bangor).It's only a 3 month contract but may turn permanent.Mon to Thurs 8am to 8pm (48Hr week, wage is £7.90 an hour=£379 gross a week)
    My neighbour works there nights & I asked him to drop my application in last night.
    Well I just got a call from Regency & I have a interview Friday at 1045am.
    This i the sort of thing I've been looking for.The hours are good,Good wage & prospect of being kept on & it's close to home.(12mile round trip) Plus I'll have a 3 day weekend (Fri/Sat & Sun off)
    OK,Its a factory but it's feckin better than the dole!
    Any interview tips chaps?
    Thanks chaps,
    Regards,
    Spike

2. msr

msr LE

3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Basically I work on the following for interviews:

Expect the questions - so plan your answers, but not scripted.
    Know something about the company and the job.
    Have a sensible question to ask at the end.
    Suit and Tie.
    Be yourself (typical reply I know)

Has stood me well, have always been offered a job I wanted and had an interview for (although the one job I didn't want and got an interview for, the interview was very amusing)

S_R

4. Ask which roll you will carry out at the factory
    Tell them you have relevant experience in the military - you served in the Scotch Guard

Coat.

5. What he said. Especially the part about being yourself. Read up on the company, you should at least have a good idea of size, turnover, what the main products are etc. all of that will be on Google. Also don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand something.

Good Luck.

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Cheers lads,
    Well,just back in after my interview for Regency Carpets in Balloo.I'll hear next Wednesday if I've got the job.The interview was a series of Q & A's & was scored by the Warehouse Manager & the interviewer.Hopefully my past with MM wont harm me ( My probation period was terminated the day before as I had been off ill twice in the 3 monts I was there & had Dr's notes to back them up.) as they asked about that as we as warnings ect.The rest of it went well I think,I could answer yes to the 99% of what they were looking for,even my Expired Fork Lift licence was counted.My Military experience was commented on as well as was my involvement with the ACF.
    The are 2 shift,Mon to Thurs 8 to 8pm being one but that pays £5.90,the other is Fri to Sun,same hours but that pays £7.80.End of the day,the wage adds up the same either way,which I picked up on & was enthusiastically noted.
    They asked which of the 2 shifts Id prefer & I said either/or.

7. Well done and good luck m8

8. I wish you luck spike.

Remember my first interview when I left for civvi strasse here in Germany many moons ago - I was bricking it, trying to gen up on all my german :cry:

Turned up(at the airport for interview) and the guy asks in English what footie team I supported, so I told him, went like wildfire from then on, he just spoke English to me and then 2 days later phoned me up and offered me the job.

I was well chuffed :D