Interview required to get passport - that was kept quiet!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by pomps, Feb 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Stunning Canutes .. how to produce an unworkable system ...
  2. first time applicants only being interviewed, renewals won't be
  3. you forgot to mention that they'll be taking your fingerprints as well, so if you don't have a record they'll still be able to access your prints
  4. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Apparently NOT ... in a couple of years, if I want to keep my UK passport, I may have to travel to your country to get the "photo and fingerprint" treatment to renew.
    How much that's going to cost me, and her, I dread to think. But then, of course, we're both retired officers, so are probably dodgy anyway.
  5. Something to hide curve?
  6. From 2009 anyone renewing their passprt will be interviewed too
  7. It is not just what is illegal at the moment, but what a future government might make illegal in the future - just imagine if drinking were made illegal in this country, for instance
  8. This is just a form of vetting, and good on it.

I doubt whether the armed forces will be affected by this, as we have already undergone some form of vetting or another.

There are people whinging about this and probably the same people who whinge about the amount of illegal immigrants in the country, many of whom have entered under false passports.

At least there is an attempt at doing something about the illegal immigrants.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I suspect that they will treat you with the same special respect they have shown Cols Mendoca and the Collins and all the others the cps have ballsed up. No charge in law then no fingerprint. I dont trust the govt keeping info safe. They are numpties!
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

What do they need a passport for anyway, they burn theirs on arrival so you cant deport them. If I was an illegal I wouldnt need a passport and lets face it they can be stolen/bought.
    The service you render your country right now is worth 0 to them and dont you live under any illusion of a land fit for heroes!
  11. I don't think like that at all.

The point about the forces is just an admin one, it serves no purpose to the passport office or the military to interview a member to ascertain their credentials when that has already been done by the military.

Can you imagine the hassle with the amoount of passports for forces personnel that have to be renewed each year. The military are obviously taken into consideration by the passport office my passports for the whole family arrived on the doorstep within 2 days and a couple of them were first issues.

I think this interviewing has something to do with the sham marriages that occur alot.
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You can see that they wont have thought out the logistical difficulties of it though, they will be jobsworth cnuts who cant think outside of the pc screen tick box!
  13. I read this as meaning that if you are renewing a passport before it has run out there is no need for an interview only if has been expired for a period of time before renewal.
  14. Thanks, just spotted that. So this means that as a Brit living abroad not only do I have to fork out 268 quid at current prices for myself and the 3 kids but we all have to have interviews.......... blimey, better prepare the kids, their English might need brushing up! How the heck are they going to interview babies? What about all the Brits living in the back of beyond in far flung places? Those who don't have webcams? Who are too ill to travel? The deaf and dumb? Have they really thought about this..............