Interveiws for Australian Army Oct 07

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Latissimus_Dorsi, Aug 29, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone out there due to visit London this Oct for an interveiw for the ADF.
    As far as I can tell, I am one of approx 30 invited to attend-(SNCO-WO selection). Completed military medical and other relevant paperwork about 12 weeks ago. Just sent off forms for the police checks. Have been provisionally told my starting rank and posting location. Hopefully, if all goes well, me and the family will be in Oz by Feb/Mar 08.

2. Same sh$t, different uniform.

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

But at least the weathers better :)

So where are they posting you Latissimus?

4. Iraq?

5. As far as I know me and the family will be located in Northern Queensland, near the central section of the GBR.

I would have no problem with an op tour of Afgan/Iraq, especially when you could return with a bonus of $30,000 plus.

Big benefits are-great surf, great weather, low cost of living, big houses for less money, excellent education system, excellent sporting system, low crime rate.

ADF promote house purchase and will give you $15,000 to help with that-you don't have to pay that back. I also believe the Australian Gov give you a $10,000 freebee if you are a first time buyer.

6. Hi L_D,
    Sounds like you're off to Townsville - very nice! If you deploy to Iraq, tou'll get AU$200+ per day, your standard wage and extra leave - completely tax free while you are deployed - beats 7 quid a day LSSA eh!

The house purchase money actually works out to AU$9000 odd after tax and the federal government gives you AU$7000, QLD may give you more on top, but not 100% on that. You'll also pay less stamp duty on your first home.

As for your interviews in London, be prepared for your wife to get grilled - a bloke just arrived here and got on a plane back to UK after 8 hours as his missus didn't want to stay, short version is that the ADF is not 'appy, AU50,000 worth of relocation expenses down the pan. I reckon the wives will be checked out a bit more now. The interviews really are casual though, they just make sure you are aware of the difference between Home & Away and real life.

If you want any more info, feel free to PM me.

7. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Queensland, nice. Two types of weather, hot and dry or hot and wet :twisted: Oh yeah and I think other than the Army there's some people live in Cairns and 2 Abbos called John and Kieth in the woods :p

In all seriousness, it's a great place, enjoy it.

8. Field firing in Oz - can't be bettered - 360 degree arcs. Templates? the movement boxes are larger than the range of the weapons. Hard work in the heat - enjoy.

9. Am i correct in thinking that the Aussie army are only interested in SNCO's with a trade?

10. Fallschirmjager

As far as I am aware you have to be at least a serving Sgt-WO or ex in my case. My background is APTC, so that is the trade I will be employed into. ADF PTI's are part of the medical corps.

You could have a look at www.defence.gov.au to find out more about what the ADF is all about. There is a whole load of info and links to other areas.

if you are interested send off an email to scma.osenlist@defence.gov.au give them some detail of who you are and what you've done. what corps are you in anyway?

11. you just need a speific trade, they accepted me as a private soldier but i chose not to go in the end DOH!!!

12. I don't think so. One of our very young captains joined them on the back of his fairly scanty TA service and although a nice chap he wasn't especially remarkable (aside from an uncanny resemblance to Harry Potter and still living with his mum in his late twenties).

13. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

What's wrong with Colchester?

14. Nige

Thanks for that bit of info. Will pm you in the near future. Won't have that problem with the OH as she wants to go more than me and I can't wait!

15. It's full of fucking Paras! 8O