Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by corbuk, Nov 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Could someone help me and give me an idea of what sort of training i should do for this ? Ive got a 200m Track near were i live and would like to use this if anyone could give me a intervaul trianing to do on the track , it would help alot thanks.
  2. What is an intervaul?
  3. i ment interval
  4. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

What, like an ad break you mean?
  5. u no wot he ment !!
  6. The basic definition of Interval Training is exercise that involves a series of runs that are performed at a certain speed followed by period of recovery or low intensity exercise.

What is Interval Training – Sprint Intervals

The series of runs are called Sprint Intervals. These are the high intensity portion of the exercise. Sprint intervals are measured either by time or distance. They can be as short as 15 seconds or as long as 20 minutes.

This is determined specifically by the goals of the athlete and which anaerobic energy system is being targeted.

An example of a Sprint Intervals would be sprinting at his full pace for 30 seconds or an indoor cyclist spending 15 minutes simulating a climb on the bike.

What is Interval Training – Rest Intervals

The periods of recovery are called Rest Intervals. During an rest interval athletes do not stop the activity but generally exercise at a low intensity which allows the body to recover from the sprint interval. The length of these rest intervals are determined primarily by your fitness levels and the type of the sprint interval.

The intervals are important; the basis of the interval training is to ensure that your sprints are done at an optimal intensity, without sufficient rest your interval training will resort back to an aerobic type of activity.

What is Interval Training - Intensity

The intensity of the sprint intervals is how hard you push yourself during the sprint. For simplicity sake the intensity is usually measured on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being no effort whatsoever while 10 represents the maximum effort possible.

Now this is a completely personal scale depending on your own fitness levels and the type of interval training.

For example a seasoned athletes may be training on improving his speed work, the sprint lasts for 15 seconds and his ‘10’ may be a flat out sprint with the athlete going as fast as he or she can.

Another example would be someone who has not exercised in a while decides to do intervals while walking; a 1 minute walk at a brisk pace may leave the person completely out of breath. This would be there 10.

Now take the original athlete who sprinted for 15 seconds and change the interval to 5 minutes. They couldn’t maintain the same original 15 seconds pace for 5 minutes, but the maximum effort still represents a 10.

A ‘10’ is merely the maximum amount of effort a person can safely expend for that particular interval.

Each Interval Training session will also consist of a warm up session and a cool down session.

The warm up is important to prepare the bodies into a state where its ready exercise at the intensity of the interval training. Going into interval training without a warm up is a sure fire way to get injured.

The cool down is also important to slowly bring the body back to the state it was before the interval training began. It’s necessary to assist the body to start its recovery.
  7. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I still think he meant an ad break.
  8. Try this session:

8x 400m (that's twice round your track 8 times so 16 times total...!) with a 1 minute break every 400m. You need to do your 400m in 1:30.

That equates to doing 2miles in 12 mins (and the pacing for a 9min 1.5mile). As you get better you can increase the distance, decrease the break or decrease the time you have to complete each 400m in.
  9. Thanks will try that ^^
  10. Pacing is a sod - athletes reckon that your 400m time should be twice your 200 plus 3-4 seconds, but it takes a bit of practise to ration your effort to achieve that.

On most tracks the inside lane is buggered through overuse and the outside is hardly touched.

Trying to do a lengthy session (say 10 by 200/400) means being pretty canny at the start - I used to limp home jiggered after three efforts, having set out with grand designs about what I was going to do.
  11. Don't always run the same way round the track!! Seriously you'll develop imbalances in your legs and mid section. (plus you'll start just walking in circles all the time like you've got one leg shorter than the other!!)

All the above examples look good, i personally prefer shorter harder intervals so would opt for 100m full out sprint, followed by 2 min cool down and walk back to start and then repeat for 10 sets. Do a google search for HIIT (high intensity interval training) and you will have enough variations to keep you going for weeks
  12. Thinking about it, for 200's you might want to look for the staggered start line and do the interval in the outside lane - better surface, gentler corner and it'll please the other users.
  13. I have the track to my self mate, no one else realy use's it tbh.

i think its public track (not sure ) but theres a hole gap in the fence so i just go through gap and use track ...simple enough
  14. oh and its 400m track
  15. The easiest interval training if find and more fun (if it can be) than running in circles is to use lampposts of other fixed objects on a route, and just sprint to one then jog to the next, the bonus of this is the intervals can be varied