Interval Training

Been doing a lot of track work using 3 different sessions given to me by a PTI. However, they're getting boring now! Can anyone throw a few interval tng sessions my way. Go on...pretty please with a cherry on the top :)

Sample: Three quarter or full sprint for 10-30seconds or 50-200m, walk or slow jog the distance / time back (or more if need be), repeat 5 or 10 or 20 times. Make sure to warm up thoroughly prior to your HIIT work. Lamp posts are just as good for markers if you don't have access to a track (sprint 1-3 "lamp posts", walk / jog 1-5 or whatever).

or

Find a reasonable bit of uphill road / pavement (or grass hill if you're fortunate enough to have some nearby), run up as fast as you can, walk / jog back down, repeat x number of times.

or

(Gym session) Exercise bike, 100% of your Maximum RPM for 30-90seconds, 40-60% for 1-3min recovery, repeat x no. of times. Same idea for cross trainer / stair master.

Try googling "Tabata". Tabata sprints are nails however you can do pretty much anything in a Tabata type workout. Excellent way of getting you through a plateau when you hit one.

Mag_to_grid said:
Try googling "Tabata". Tabata sprints are nails however you can do pretty much anything in a Tabata type workout. Excellent way of getting you through a plateau when you hit one.
you sick man very sick man!

Ooooh, just googled and am definitely trying this later!! Brings tears to my eyes at the thought but I'll try anything once.... twice if I live to tell the tale :) Thank you and thanks to Glasgow_Jock too :)

exnorthener said:
Mag_to_grid said:
you sick man very sick man!
:D

Try Tabata "Dumbell thrusters". I never knew 4 minutes could be so painful.

TABATA :D That is gleaming!!! Will be giving that a go on Wednesday!

Blonde_grenade, if you don't fancy that, try a stack:
3mins 10k pace
1 min rest
2 mins 10k pace
45 seconds rest
1 min 10k pace
30 seconds rest
Repeat x1 (or x2 if you're not crumpled in a heap by the second set)

blonde_grenade said:
Been doing a lot of track work using 3 different sessions given to me by a PTI. However, they're getting boring now! Can anyone throw a few interval tng sessions my way. Go on...pretty please with a cherry on the top :)
Any chance of posting these sessions blonde_grenade?

Have a look at t nation and the running man article.

There is a couple of different programs for intervals depending on your goal, but the 400m one is a nightmare but nicely progressive.

I would suggest using a heart rate monitor to dictate rest intervals instead of time for a while (depending on your fitness level). It's more suited to your personal circumstances then.

Mag_to_grid said:
I do mine with a treadmill set to 8% gradient and 15km/hr. Jump on for 20 secs, off for 10. Repeat until physically sick.

smff73 said:
blonde_grenade said:
Any chance of posting these sessions blonde_grenade?
Ja wohl!

Session One (fairly easy):

Lap warm up and then sprint for 100m and jog for a 100m once round the track.

Then the next lap go as fast as you can for 200m and then jog 200m. Do this twice round the track.

Then do a jog lap of the track and to finish do a best effort 400m.

Session Two:

800m warm up

400m x 6 (approx 1:20 pace) with 90 sec recovery for each lap.

400m cool down

Session Three:

400m warm up

600m sprint then 600m jog (hate this bit!).

400m sprint then 400m jog.

200m sprint then 200m jog x 2

400m full pelt, everything you've got! 400m recovery.

100m sprint and 100m jog recovery x 2.

400m cool down.

Mag_to_grid said:
You fucker! Just tried this on the rowing machine and puked in the gym. Truly horrendous. That's the last time I take advice off the internet :puker:

JonnoJonno said:
Mag_to_grid said:
You fucker! Just tried this on the rowing machine and puked in the gym. Truly horrendous. That's the last time I take advice off the internet :puker:
Roger that. Thought I was going to die after a session on the track yesterday evening!

Well worth a go though!!!! I'm still alive and I feel a million squillion times fitter than I did yesterday!! :wink:

Would I do it again? Yes I would - cos I'm mad like that. :twisted:

Tabata, ah a truly horrendous yet somehow satisfying training method!!

If any of you get bored/sadistic etc... try a bodyweight tabata full body workout.

Pick 4 bodyweight excecises, perform a round of tabata for each one, min. 1 min rest between each set, ideally none.

Last time I did it, choose BW squats, burpees, push ups, and chins.

Truly puked my guts up at the end of it!

To the op, go to a football field. Stand at goal line.

Sprint to first white line, jog back to goal line, sprint to next white line, jog back to goal line, repeat all until you are sprinting to the opposite goal line.

Sprints on soft ground, mud, soil, sand

Working in a smiliar principle to the interval stuff, try mixind bodyweight or weighted workout moves with running in the form of High Octane Cardio (HOC)

Choose a form of cardio, running, punchbag, rowing machine (cycling may become a little difficult!)

Basic idea is you perform the cardio as active rest, for a set period of time i.e 1 min, or a distance, i.e 100 m run

At the end of the above, you perform a certain number of reps of the bw/weighted move

i.e.

Choose a run track 100m in length. run A-B, perform move, run B-A perform next move, repeat until all moves finished, end with one more run

First pass: 25 press ups
Second: 40 BW squats
Third: 25 Burpees
Fourth: 25 V-Ups
Fifth: 25 Body Blasters

Add on moves as you see fit, change as you see fit. Personally I love doing this mixing each BW move with a kettlebell move.

JonnoJonno said:
Mag_to_grid said:
They are awesome :D

Try them on a static bike, just make sure you go all out for the 20 seconds of work and just pedal gently in the 10 secs rest. Guarentee your legs will feel like they are about to give away at the end and you will be feeling it for a good 30 mins or so after.

My cardio training now is usually only twice a week but that is enough for me now im no longer serving, well im a STAB :D

Usually do a hill session, followed by some fast skipping and if I am in the mood a tabata on the bike, love it!

Mag_to_grid said:
JonnoJonno said:
Mag_to_grid said:
They are awesome :D

Try them on a static bike, just make sure you go all out for the 20 seconds of work and just pedal gently in the 10 secs rest. Guarentee your legs will feel like they are about to give away at the end and you will be feeling it for a good 30 mins or so after.

My cardio training now is usually only twice a week but that is enough for me now im no longer serving, well im a STAB :D

Usually do a hill session, followed by some fast skipping and if I am in the mood a tabata on the bike, love it!
My arms are killing me! I did the rowing tabata (flat out to the point my arrse was nearly coming of the seat the leg extension). After puking and a drink I did bicep curls. Managed 9 repetitions on the rowing machine and 8 on the curls. I'll only be doing tabata once/twice a week but it definately has pushed me out of my comfort zone.

I'm struggling to push past my PB on the rowing. I do 6000 metres and can't seem to get past 22:15. This tabata nonsense might just break through. Cheers

If anyones got access to one of those mountain climber things, try doing some intervals or some 20 minute sessions on that bloody thing.

Don't eat for a few hours prior though