Interval training.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Panoptes, Jun 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening,

How many intervals constitute an improvement over time. For example there has to be an optimum number/length/time over a set distance for an improvement to be made voer a number of sessions.

I'm currently doing 8X200m sprints over 2 miles, walking/jogging in between- twice a week.

Any idea as to if this is a good course of action for someone who is reasonably fit or can anyone advise any different.

2. There isn't I'm afraid a optimum number/length/time over a set distance. Basically it's doing something better this week then you did last week.

Training protocals will vary based on the goal you're trying to accomplish.
    ie for a 1.5 mile run, you can do 400m or 800m intervals.
    You can for those base the rest on the time taken for your heart rate to reach a certain level, or base it on time.
    You can base the speed on as fast as you can go each interval or you can run them in a time that you are looking for (ie, you want a 9 minute 1.5 miler, you do each 400m interval in 1 minute 30 s and rest as needed until you can knock out a 400m run in 90s, then you reduce the rest until you're running all 1.5m at that speed without resting).

I'm a real fan of 400m sprints and hill sprints, but they can be pretty taxing so being able to comfortably run a 5 miler in under 35-40 minutes should be the base fitness (in my mind, others probably differ), otherwise I think you're wasting your time because you're too knackered to get the most out of them.