Internet speed tests

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by tank6275, Jan 12, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me if my connection is any good and if theres anything that i can do at my end to speed it up.
    I have a download speed of around 6 Mbps and an upload speed of 0.35 Mbps which seems pretty slow, is there much i can do about that?

Also my ping is 52ms and jitter 29ms with 0% packet loss although i have no clue what this is or means.

Can anyone advise me or explain it all?

Many thanks
  2. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Does this answer the question? God Bless Google:

Broadband Expert reports that 18,558 tests were run at its web site in January, and "the average speed in the UK is a pitiful 2.95Mbps".

The site says:

"Current advertising campaigns like the one for Tiscali broadband promise superfast broadband (download) speeds of up to 8Mbps. Yet Tiscali came bottom of our test results with an average actual download speed of just 1.72Mbps. Now that is not superfast by any stretch of the imagination and is over 1Mbps lower than the UK average."

The highest average was 6.07Mbps from Be broadband, which uses ADSL2+ technology. If you want speed, that's the tech to get. (Nobody is actually offering fibre, despite what Virgin claims in its advertising.) The report says:

Upload speeds varied greatly between providers too with Be broadband achieving the fastest average upload speeds of 850Kbps and Orange the slowest at 219Kbps.

The average upload speed was clocked at 296Kbps, with Orange the slowest at 219Kbps.

The test is at

You can see the results table by clicking the blue Speed Test Results tab at the bottom of that page.

The UK is trailing behind obscure places like France, let alone advanced countries like South Korea. I wonder, are we still ahead of the Americans?

Update: An email from Tiscali points out some major flaws with the survey. First, the test doesn't distinguish between 1Mbps, 2Mbps, 4Mbps, 8Mbps and faster services, so an ISP that only or mainly offers, say, ADSL2+ is bound to look better than one with what Tiscali calls "a high number of legacy 1Mbps and 2Mbps customers nationally". And the sting in the tail: "an average of 6Mbps recorded on a 24Mbps service is hardly something to shout about."

Another point is that users state which service they are on. Is there anything to stop someone with a real 50Mbps line from inflating a particular set of results?
  3. Possibly the cities, but not out in the sticks. Family friends have recently retired to Lot and their internet connection is dial-up at the moment with no idea of when they will be offered broadband.
  4. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

Jitter is a variation or dislocation in the pulses of a digital transmission; it may be thought of, in a way, as irregular pulses. Jitter can manifest through variations in amplitude, signal strength, and other elements of such waves. The usual causes include connection timeouts, connection time lags, data traffic congestion, and interference. Simply put, this jitter is an undesirable output of system flaws and interruptions.

To understand jitter, one must remember that data (whether audio, video, pictures or text) is seldom sent out wholly. Data is split up into manageable 'packets' with headers and footers that indicate the correct order of the data packets when it's the client computer's turn to organize them for playback. When a jitter occurs, some data packets may be lost in transit or the code for data packet assembly in the receiving machine may be wiped out.

Thus when jitters occur, computer monitors and computer processors may malfunction, files may get lost, downloaded audio files may acquire noise, Internet phone calls may get interrupted, suffer time lags or get disconnected. Due to its undesirable consequences, jitter is an important consideration in the design of all communications links.

Problems and Causes

The key to understanding jitter lies in a single word: precision. As has been noted above, digital information is sent out in packets: the whole signal is broken down into chunks of data which is transmitted to a receiving unit for assembly. If jitter occurs, synchronization becomes a problem and the receiving unit finds it difficult to correctly assemble the incoming data stream. Jitter can occur in transit (as the data packets are traveling through the net to the client computer) or at the receiving device itself.

The travel of digital information (whether accomplished through cables or EM wireless transmission) is hampered by variety of electronic or mechanical faults which can affect the transmitted signal. In Internet communications, for example, data streams may be adversely affected by power surges, bandwidth congestion, randomly occurring EM pulses in nature, and other such events.

Jitter Prevention and Correction

To minimize the adverse impacts of jitter in media file downloads, 'buffer' is usually employed. The buffer serves as the storage area in the system where incoming packets for digital audio or video are arranged before they are played back - the computer is given the time needed to ensure that the incoming data packets are complete before they can be played.

Jitter correction is usually handled by technology, usually software-based or with hardware enhancements. Software fixes are usually aimed at adjusting digital content or inputs until the data is complete and properly assembled - which is what happens when a media player starts buffering incoming media. In the case of audio CDs, the playback unit reads data in an overlapping pattern, and slides the data around to assemble the correct data stream.

Hardware fixes have more to do with smoothing out glitches in the signals received or transmitted; error correction may involve frequency, amplitude modulation or cycle adjustments

Be warned, if you don't know how - get someone who does to sort this issue out for you. Sorted?
  5. msr

msr LE

What package are you paying for and which ISP?
  6. I pay 17.50 a month and im supplied by O2 i believe its the unlimited package,
  7. i would be happy with that

im with bt on the may/could/possibly get near 8mbps and dont get anything like what you have .....

edited to add i pay more ...... :evil:
  8. msr

msr LE

Best you go and check then.

9. Mine has been very slow of late:

I'm out in the sticks at the end of the line and I suspect it's an old line all the way.

It does seem to have been slower in the cold weather. Surely metals conduct better at lower temperatures though..... :?
  10. The fastest mine has ever been is approximately 27 miles an hour when I hurled it for not connecting quickly enough. I didn't need a maths O level to work the speed out either :D
  11. A bog standard (circuit switched) copper pair can theoretically support 64 Kb/s but 8 of this is used for 'engineering' so leaving the oft quoted 56 Kb/s for an old dial up modem. As Mysterion pointed out the internet is packet switched and so we get packet loss, packets arriving at the wrong time which require a play out buffer and other effects to do with 'echo' and impedence mismatches at the junction of the analogue and digital bits of the system. You want to try streaming data over a VoIP link, it's a shambles.

It really depends on the the quality of service that your ISP provides, how busy the network is, and where you live.

Not satisfied with what you are paying for? Do a bit of research & shop around.
  12. You're spot on there, yes metals conduct better at lower temperatures but it's the opposite for semi-conductors, so given that a 'circuit' contains a mix of both then all bets are off.
  13. msr

msr LE

14. That's a really good site, cheers EX_STAB, here's mine:

15. I bet I win:

It says I'm more or less 50 miles from Maidenhead though, which is not entirely true.