Internet Explorer 8

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by RearWords, May 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Need advice please. I now have a gucci new laptop (last one expired via a graphics chip meltdown). I am being asked whether I want to download Internet Explorer 8 - do I? What are the benefits? Or am I better off staying with 7?

2. Yes, if the choice is between Internet Explorer 7 or 8.
    In the past I personally would have advised using Firefox instead but recent releases seem to be more buggy than previously. I'm starting to move back to Explorer 8 on Windows 7.

3. I have both FF and IE8.

IE 8 is deffo better than IE 7

Firefox, however, beats both - 10 times more quickly un-bugged by its open source developer community than Microsoft will ever achieve for IE, and significantly more secure.

Only prob I have with firefox is that the Freecorder toolbar add-on (look it up - it is dead good) is not (yet) compatible with the latest Firefox.

4. msr

msr LE

Download and install IE8. Then download and use firefox. The plug-ins alone make it worth while.

Also uninstall all the trial versions and crapware etc which are normally included and stick avast free antivirus on it.

Download and install Secunia PSI and make sure all your applications are up to date.

Download a suitable backup program (DriveImageXML or Comodo Backup)

Finally, install Truecrypt and encrypt the entire system drive. That way whatever happens to your laptop, your data will be secure.

msr

5. Thanks for replies.

msr - Do you do housecalls? You will make a geek out of me yet! :D

6. msr

msr LE

Yes ;)

www.crossloop.com