Internet dropping out.

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Oyibo, Oct 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have an infuriating situation at the moment - after about 20 minutes of browsing some sites become inaccessible. The strange thing is that google goes first, and Arrse seems to carry on working. For example, at the moment I can access Arrse, but GoogleAds don't appear.

My first thought was 'virus/trojan'. So I switched from exercrable McAffee Endpoint that the halfwits in the (African) IT department imposed on me to Kapersky Internet Security. Well done Kapersky - found a trojan that McAffee missed. But...

My internet keeps on dropping out for sites on a progressive basis - google and other search engines first.

Anyone have any thoughts or suggestions on this?
  2. Shamelessly bumping this because my internet connection is still dropping out on some sites.
  3. Have you tried using a different device (PC/mac/phone) attached to the network gateway (modem/router/switch)? It's possible some of your network hardware is blocking certain sites. Also, have you tried a different browser to see how that behaves?
  4. Hi,

Have you tried switching your router off for about 30 minutes also unplug the phone line to it as well.
    As i am led to beleive this will reset your ip address and give you a fresh connection.
    Who is your connection with? Have they got any servise issues at the mo? Are with Virgin by any chance on their "national service" (not fibre) if so let me know :pale:
    I will try and think of anything else
    Good luck

Kind regards,

R M
  5. In essence without knowing a massive ammount about your problem it will be hard to fix. Try using a different machine on the same connection and see if it still keeps happening because then at least you know it's a problem with your actually line as opposed to your computer. Other than that I can think of at least five different reasons it might be happening.

But check your computer first.
  6. Thanks all.

I had the same problem on my laptop in Switzerland last week - I am now in France - and the problem only started last week. So I'm certain it's a problem on my laptop (desktop in France works fine on the same WiFi router: SFR Neufbox). My wifi device on my laptop is an Intel(R) WiFi link 5100 AGN. All drivers are up to date. Windows Mobile phone works fine as well.

@ RogerMellie: I don'tt think it's an IP conflict because I can get some websites (such as Arrse) with no problems, but the search engines (Google, Yahoo, Bing, etc) drop out first. These are followed by sites such as Amazon, The Times, etc. Yet the more arcane sites carry on working - hence my suspicion that it's a virus of some sort.

@ J20gU3: Understood. I can give you fairly detailed info on the problem if you are knowledgable enough to help.

7. I would do a few things. Use CCleaner, Ad-aware and Housecall Anti-Virus. That will remove any shite.
    Then have a look at your router. Might be worth sticking your PC on a Static IP, passwording your wireless connection.
    It is possible you have to much noise on the line. Are you using any Peer to Peer download software?
  8. Thanks Uberware. I've tried McAffee, Kapersky, and Symantec so far. Nothing found apart from tracking cookies. I'll take a look at CCleaner, Ad-aware and Housecall.

I am using a WPA PSK password for the router and it's very robust. I'll take a look to see if I can set the router for a static IP, but I'm not overly confident - it is a proprietry router for the telcoms company (an SFR Neufbox) and doubles as a cable TV box, VOIP phone line, and public wifi router for all authenticatedf SFR customers. So configuration (in French) could be interesting.

I suppose there could be noise interference, but this has been happenning in France and Switzerland on different networks. Rather than a temporary loss of connection, Google goes down first, then the Times, but some sites keep working for quite some time.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the advice - I'll try them all in turn and see what happens.