Internet banking fraud

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by thegimp, Feb 2, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a quick bit of advice after a hard learned experience

If you try to access your internet banking site and it seems to not be working properly

DO NOT PUMP YOUR PASS NUMBERS IN AGAIN.

I got taken for 8 grand out of an account last week. :oops:

Bank has paid it straight back but it seemed incredibly easy to do and bank was not even slightly suprised it happened

I'm generally very wary of dubious scamming but got caught out

2. Having said all that, don't be put off interweb banking. I am surprised your bank didn't have a better system for logging in. I can only log in to my current account with Barclay's, using a separate pass number generator (looks like a calculator) which I use from Nigeria. I wouldn't want it any other way. Was it a current account or a credit card account?

3. It was a current account. Aparently a virus or some other neferious spyware got on my machine and redirected me to a schill site.

No phishing email/spam was opened

Then a bill payment was made to another account

I just thought my internet was on the fritz.

A password generator would be helpful

I got zapped for 1300 quid going through copenhagen 3 months ago as well.

Never been caught out before

4. Just out of interest, what bank are you with?

(No, it's ok, I don't need to know your acc no / sort code ) ;-)

5. HSBC

They are normally quite quick to ring up if spending patterns go wonky, missed it this time though

6. I've had a shed load of e-mails from HSBC over the last 2 weeks telling me that there is something wrong with my internet banking and to click on their little link to sort it out. I've just deleted them. They apparently never send e-mails out directly to customers.

I think whoever attempted to get into my accounts anyway would feel sorry for me and actually put some money in. :cry:

7. HSBC rang me up a couple of years ago to tell me my account was overdrawn and what was I going to do about it...no probs, just ransfer 'x' amount from the business account into it.

No dice, business account overdrawn too...

8 hours of frantic calls back and forth and finally they sussed it, the call centre lackeys had been logging accounts, when they had enough details they cleaned out a number of people and then didn't turn up for work next day.

My cash was back in next day but it was a worrying time...

Six months later a small snippet in the Indie saying how they had caught a couple of the staff, no further details and no follow up.

I moved banks rapidly.

GW

8. I'm with Barclays and they supply the code generator. You cant make any changes or payments without using it which gives me great comfort living where I do.

BTW, a mate of mine is a Nigerian prince and is having trouble moving money out of Nigeria and needs a freinds account so he can move his savings of $3million. He'll make it worth your while.
    I shlt you not, I have been approached with that story several times by blokes that work in the same company......nationals of course.

9. Just run spyware scan. Lappy had 2 banking trojans and 136 other b+stard viruses

10. I was with them 2 years ago, bought an i-pod in Saudi on the way home and someone bounced me for my remaining account balance, took 2 months to get sorted and I lost the raffle ticket that I bought in the lounge for a gold Porche Carrerra, sure it was a winner

11. I get 5-6 emails daily from various 'banks' telling me that my account needs attention. I dont bank with any of these banks and the emails go straight into my junk mail. I got so fed up of sending them to phishing that i now just delete them straightaway.
    Strangely, i seem to get more once i have logged into my internet banking account for a few days afterwards, then they tail back to 5-6 daily.
    I once did query this when i had to go into my own banks premises and i was told that it was mostly coming from Amsterdam.
    I have internet banking and never click on any of the emails, not even the genuine ones from Halifax who i bank with.
    Luckily i have never been subject to fraud with my account, but there is always a first time i suppose.

Waves as she passes JR in her new gold porche carerra which she won with a raffle ticket found on a floor somewhere. 8)

12. I was with them 2 years ago, bought an i-pod in Saudi on the way home and someone bounced me for my remaining account balance, took 2 months to get sorted and I lost the raffle ticket that I bought in the lounge for a gold Porche Carrerra, sure it was a winner[/quote]

Liberated from one of the Senior Service, one careful owner :? 8O

13. [quote="The_Snail
    I've had a shed load of e-mails from HSBC over the last 2 weeks telling me that there is something wrong with my internet banking and to click on their little link to sort it out. I've just deleted them. They apparently never send e-mails out directly to customers.

I think whoever attempted to get into my accounts anyway would feel sorry for me and actually put some money in. :cry:[/quote]

I've had those emails too....which is dead funny, cos I've never banked with HSBC??? And like yourself, if they DID get in my account I'd be well fecked off if the bank gave them any cash cos they won't bloody give ME any!!!!