International Defence Engagement Document

Discussion in 'Royal Navy' started by Guns, Feb 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/international-defence-engagement-strategy-published

Very interesting document and worth a read. Talks about wider defence engagement and has pointers to how the RN will become a key player in "flying the flag".

It is nothing new for the Navy and puts down what we are good at.

Have to say there have been some interesting and well written policy documents that have come out and help define where the Naval Service will be aiming over the next few decades.

Thoughts?

• Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

Seems I am part of the Enduring Footprint of Defence Engagement. I tried to score my effectivness. Tea drinking in my Directorate is up 25% but use of bespoke remains flat lined at 0.

• Like Like x 1
  3. As someone who's done a bit of Defence Engagement, we remain stubbornly rubbish at quite a bit of it because of cloying bureaucracy and parsimony (for the dull-of-thinking: Resistance to spending money). Circumstances perhaps have improved but I can think of some attaches who refused to engage with the locals and spent their three years embalming themselves at the public expense on the cocktail circuit - with other friendly attaches. I recall one attache Ina Middle Eastern post who looked the epitome of a Colonel Blimp - and behaved like one. He called the locals wogs or worse and never ever submitted reports to London; refused to respond to collect requests and refused to engage in defence sales, unless there was a trip to London involved. An utter red- cheeked, walrus mustached waste of space. And he left post less than 3 years ago as a regional advisor to a defence firm.

4. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

It is something the RN does well, compared to the rest of Defence, and it even practises it in Operational Sea Training (well it did @alfred_the_great might know better).

A warship alongside with its cocktail party and ships tours is a very useful tool for UKTI to get a foot hold in to local markets.

5. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

Some of us remember the Four and Half Pillars of Defence. With defence diplomacy a half pillar.

6. Ukti cocktail parties amd defence diplomancy days are good, but require industry to know their market well. Having a done a few i am not always convinced that is the case.

As for defence engagement , its fine when defence recognises it is part of a bigger collection of assets and soft power tools. Too oftenhave i met people from the military who assume that they know better than everyone else and spend time reinventing wheels and pissing off key contacts who could help them achieve even more.

The mod has to stop treating DA posts like a 'thanks for having a career' job and see them as high profile mover and shaker jobs.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Complicated further by the fact PET including language is very nearly the length of a WtE/Executive stream tour. Getting movers and shakers into such jobs can only happen when we stop penalizing people for having a non-generalist job that they've actually had to do some training for and commit some time to.

The prevailing culture of ICSC, ACSC and RCDS being all the training you need is also nonsense. The US Army sent Norm Schwarzkopf to study missile engineering at a time when the man was close to ditching the Army. Meanwhile, 40 learned years in the future, a paltry amount of Service chiefs have ever undertaken one of their own Fellowships. A stark and clear message to any young thruster entertaining a fleeting thought of doing something out of the pre ordained path.

• Like Like x 1
  8. RCDS is for 2nd XI losers - HCSC is the course of choice these days.

9. So, the words are interesting, could one of you great and good translate this into minimum number of platforms needed?

10. Platforms for what? You obviously didn't read it very well - it expressly says DE is not Force driving.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

It always was

12. Indeed, and then the countries that have paid quite a lot of money to send their top Officers on the "premier" course get all grumpy when they find its actually for those who didn't quite make the HCSC cut...

• Like Like x 1
  13. That's the badger. I knew I'd done one wrong somehow.