Internal flight passengers need identification in Scotland

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Monty417, Sep 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. FFS. Rail and road travel sees greater access anyway, so is this just to show us that Scotland is now a separate country from the UK. If not, what is the point? national security? Seems like a load of old bollocks to me.

English passengers making internal flights to Scottish airports are being asked to show their passports when they land, police have confirmed.

Officers are carrying out routine identity checks on domestic flights under terrorism legislation. This can mean forcing passengers to show passports or other photographic identification.

Those arriving on international flights are required to go through passport control, but domestic passengers are usually checked for photographic ID before boarding their plane.

The checks came to light after shadow home secretary Chris Grayling was asked to produce his documents when he arrived at Glasgow Prestwick airport on an internal flight.

He described the procedure as "utterly and completely unacceptable".

"Do we want to end up with border check points at Gretna Green? Of course we need security but there has to be a balance,” he told the Daily Telegraph.

Mr Grayling was among five Conservative MPs who were asked for identification at the airport on Wednesday.
  2. Another good reason not to go to Jockland.
  3. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Ho-hum. Non-story.
  4. And if you plan to fly Ryanscare form Mon 5th Oct you will need apassport for all internal flights!!!!!
  5. Maybe, but why should anyone on an internal flight need to show identification to enter your country? Should have to prove sanity, yes.
  6. More Gestapo like demanding of papers just to get everyone to think that buying a Zanu Labour id card is a good idea.
  7. OMFG!! They actually want me to prove who I am before getting on a plane! What the fcuk right do they have to ask that; it's not like internal planes have been hijacked or anything, is it? :roll:
  8. I'm not surprised at all as anytime I flew from Belfast to Scotland I was asked for identification as was everyone else on the flight as well as details of where you were going etc
  9. No they are asking for identification after you land!
    Proving who you are before you board a flight is fair enough but why on landing?

10. Sixty

So The Times think that the Police can tell who is and isn't English just by looking at them then picking them out to see their passports? They should get on to Derren Brown with psychic powers like that.
  11. The passengers' nationality is irrelevant on the arrival of a domestic flight.
  12. I had that at Aberdeen Airport for a flight to Glasgow, takes ten seconds of your life and nothing to get upset about in my book. Much more important things in life to get upset about.
  13. I allways thionk it is wrong that I can get on a BA plane from Manchester to London and not show any ID at all.

Don't mind my Drivers Lic, but passport is a bit silly!
  14. Quite so. Assuming some lunatic might be going to blow up the plane, ID should be checked first. After, is a bit fucking late. So the Scottish plod are either as stupid as ours, wasting tax payers cash, or trying to make a point.
  15. Sixty

I know. The bit you quoted though seemed to suggest that Strathclyde Police were deliberately singling out English people for the check.

However, sloppy reporting aside; you could have an outstanding arrest warrant out on you, be on the run, of dodgy immigration status etc (in the UK rather than in Scotland) and all of these could be picked up when you get off the flight if you weren't checked when you got on.