Intermittent fault Peugeot 206

I have a Peugeot 206 - 09 plate

There is a intermittent fault when starting, usually happens when starting first thing in the morning or when the car has not used for a couple of days.

When I turn the ignition key, it seems the electrics cuts out (the clock resets to 00:00 and the date resets) at that point if I hold the key fully turned it starts or if I turn the key back and turn the ignition again the car starts ok.

Happens intermittently was maybe one or twice a month but now if usually happening one or twice a week

Any thoughs other than replace the car

Thanks

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
It's fFrench, so is probably surrendering!

Last edited:

urban_spaceman

War Hero
How you getting on Archie? It sounds very much that you have a poor connection somewhere. Battery, starter motor, engine earth (possibly). Don’t rush out and buy a battery just yet.

Last edited:

MrMemory

War Hero
Classic symptoms of a failing battery. During starting, battery voltage falls too low, causing clock to zero.

Many modern electrical devices measure battery voltage digitally and shut down completely or refuse to function if the voltage is outside specified limits to protect both the device and the battery. Mobile phones and computers are two good examples of this - your mobile will report 0% battery and shut down before it completely flattens (which could permanently damage the battery).

As little as a thousandth of a volt could be the difference between a system such as the power steering working perfectly, or not working at all.

endure

GCM
I have the same problem on my Fiat but only in winter. I only do short runs so it never gets charged properly anyway but during the summer it's OK. It's only when it gets cold that it happens.

4(T)

LE
Is the car a diesel?

My Transit had a faulty diesel pump. This produced weird intermittent faults - e.g. engine would run perfectly normally, but then at random intervals would not even turn over (electronically immobilised). Try to start it for half an hour, nothing. Walk away and have a cup of tea, come back and it starts immediately.

I had a couple of mobile diagnostics chaps look at it and try to reset the pump (error codes being generated, etc). Nothing worked. Changed the pump - problems vanished.

A bad earth from the instrument panel area can cause odd things to happen. Not the easiest thing to find.

There is a intermittent fault when starting, usually happens when starting first thing in the morning or when the car has not used for a couple of days.

When I turn the ignition key, it seems the electrics cuts out (the clock resets to 00:00 and the date resets) at that point if I hold the key fully turned it starts or if I turn the key back and turn the ignition again the car starts ok.

Happens intermittently was maybe one or twice a month but now if usually happening one or twice a week

Any thoughs other than replace the car

Thanks
You need to renew the knob on the drivers seat

ArchieCat

Old-Salt
Sounds like a bad earth connection. If you have a multimeter (and easier with a blade fuse adaptor) check each fuse with ignition off to see if any current is being drawn.

Take the battery terminals off, that will solve the starting problem.

Sounds like a, what I think is called, dry short. Resistance in the battery terminals causes insufficient current to flow which resets the clock, second go causes an arc that reconnects the terminal. Saw this on one of my cars, looked like woodworm had been in battery post.

It’s fücked.

Hope this helps.

if you have to shell out for a battery

Europarts or Carparts for less have the same parts no's & both have more sales than DFS

However the last battery I bought was branded exide & came from ebay

Try this, without STARTING the engine. Turn ignition key to on and off 4 or 5 times. When there is a beep press any button and see if the key reprogrammes itself. :cool:

SWJ99

War Hero
As others have said.
Basically, check all wiring from battery to starter motor and body earths. Check where the wires go into the battery terminals, if a poor connection, renew. Follow positive wire as far up the loom as possible, check for any overheated connections and joins.

Failing that, it's French, so send it back to where it came from.

The wife had a 1st Gen new Beetle. Driving at night if you hit a bump you would notice the lights all go out on the dash for a microsecond. Under warranty so off to VW. New computer they said. A new computer was fitted for free under the warranty, thank you very much. It still continued with the problem.

Latest Threads